Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
First of all I want to thank Dave (Trollin' Dave), Bill (propwash), and Kelly (MuskieGirl) for an awesome day yesterday! You all truly made a very memorable birthday for me, so thanks a ton for that.
Now that I have taken care of that, let me get onto my report from a crazy wild, wet, windy, cold, fishable day. lol

Part 1 Smallies Off The Mile Roads/Largemouth In The Canals

Dave swung on by to pick me up around 6:15AM, and we launched out of Crocker around 6:30AM and headed towards the Mile Roads for some smallmouth action. We started deep first in 13-15 FOW, throwing soft plastics and coffee tubes in brown coffee color and pumpkin green. We both took a few smallies and some rockies on both baits. Black/red beavers were producing for us. The action was slow, so I asked Dave if he wouldn't mind showing me some of his tactics for taking on canal largemouth, and I have to say Dave knows his stuff when it comes to canal fishing for largies. lol Not only did he get me onto some of them, he taught me a bunch of cool little tips and tricks. We both even picked up 2 baby northerns within 2 minutes of each others cast. We moved back to the Mile Roads after the sun poked out briefly and warmed things up a bit later in the afternoon to around 4-7 FOW, and we started sight fishing for the smallies again. We found a few, and were able to get them to bite, but the action was slow. We did see 2 monster channel cats sitting in the weeds in 4 FOW, and Dave threw his tube at the bigger one, and it immediately went after it, but we had the motor going slowly, and so it spooked it away before he could get a hit. We finished up hitting some piers/structure off the shoreline for largemouth as we headed back towards Crocker launch around 4:30PM where I was meeting up with Bill next. Thanks again Dave for the awesome fun time on the water yesterday, and thank you for sharing your knowledge on those canal largemouth. I'm glad I was able to help you finally get into a few smallies as well. Next spring will be fun if I get to head out with you around opener. lol

Part 2 Musky Time In Anchor Bay!

Met up with Bill at the Crocker launch after I helped Dave hitch up his boat, and said thanks and bye. Bill and I headed to Jimmy's where I had a Bummer's Bee Brunner Runner waiting for me to be picked up. Yes Bob, I finally bought one of your famous lures!
From there we both headed towards Bill's brother in laws at Roy's Marina where we met up with Kelly (MuskieGirl). We all introduced each other to each other lol, met Bills brother in law then headed to Harley to launch. We were getting worried about the massive rain shield approaching quickly from the northwest, and so we tried to move quick to get out on the water, and get into our first spot. We made it to our spot with about 10-15 minutes to spare before mother nature decided to shower us in birthday rain.
We all got completely soaked the entire 4-5 hours that we were out there for. We didn't care though. We were having a blast and enjoying the soon to be muskie action. This was Kelly's first time casting for skis, and she did fantastic for her first time. Bill and I were both impressed with her results. We started in 10 FOW out in front of the launch, and water was crystal clear blue, and fairly calm even with the rain and slight wind. Kelly had a follow to the boat which was decent sized, and she had a nice pike follow as well. All of us were casting Brunner Runners in Bummer's Bee color. With no action there, we moved a bit farther south and west and into shallower water. 7-8 FOW this time with the rain coming down still, and the same exact water conditions. This is where the fun really started. On my 3rd or 4th cast, about 15 feet out from the side of the boat, I had a nice one roll up on my lure as he/she was trying to find it. That got me really excited. Then the big one finally came. About 15 minutes later, casting towards shore, as soon as my lure hit the water a MONSTER absolutely exploded on it. She had it in her mouth, but decided to do some aerial acrobatics for me right off the start and ended up spitting me in mid air before I could even get a hookset.
This got my heart rate tripled in about .5 seconds. lol Both Kelly and Bill have caught more then a few muskies to judge good size/weight estimates. Both of them saw exactly the same event as I did when this happened. We all just happened to be looking in the right spot at the right time at the very same moment. They both told me they truly honestly believe this fish as it did a leap 3 feet out of the water in a J curl back into the water, was at least a solid low-mid 50's fish going between 28-35 pounds or potentially more. The girth on this sucker was like a small beer barrel. Bill was in amazement, and the first thing he was thinking when he saw it jump was "How am I going to net that thing?!?!?!" lol So unfortunately no muskies landed, but that fish of a lifetime was all I needed to complete my birthday of fishing, that and spending time with awesome people on the water. It truly doesn't get any better than that folks. I couldn't have asked for more. Even with no skis landed, that action was more than enough to get me hooked even more on musky fishing. I will be grabbing a musky rod/reel setup in the next few days as Bill and I are already thinking about Tuesday as a possible "revenge on the monster" day to get back out and get one in the boat.

That was pretty much how things went for me and the others I mentioned for yesterday. I spent 15 non-stop hours on the lake casting my heart out yesterday, and it was truly a blast. I told you all that I was crazy, and this adds to my craziness I guess. lol

Thanks again everybody for giving me a fun and VERY memorable birthday yesterday. I can't wait to meet up with all of you again in the near future and hammer out some fish together! It was a blast, and I had more then enough fun out there. Hopefully if plans go well for Tuesday, Bill can help me get that first real big one in the boat. We'll see what happens

With that, here are a few photos from my adventure out with Dave from part 1 of my birthday of fishing. Enjoy, and thanks again everybody! This is why I love LSCN. Truly is an awesome place to hang out with great people, and pop some fish out.

Water Sky Cloud Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

Water Sky Boat Cloud Fisherman

Attachments

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Hi Storm,
You have a future with Field & Stream, or Woods and Waters. You give such an awesome perspective and report. Glad to get out with you and Kelly, made for an enjoyable and memorable evening. You two were a great crew to have out. I have to say again it is great to have a site like this where you can meet people with positive outlooks on all of what we encountered.

Was great to laugh at how wet we got, and still have a great time! You both did good, really good! Kelly with her two follows, you with your missed hit, AND THEN with the BLAST of a lifetime by the monster that launched out of the water. Glad I was casting in the same direction as you and got to see the BEAST of the lake launch out!

I did not get a follow, or even a hit, guess it was skipper be skunked day, but to see that fish do what it did, damn awesome. Watching that fish launch out of the water with 2-3' under it's tail over the water, and to see how fricken huge it was, and the thickness was something I wish I had on video.

For all reading this, it was a 52" to 58" class fish, no bs! My first thought as it launched out of the water and did it's J-Hook acrobatics was Holy Mother of ----!, How the hell are we going to net that. Made my big net look little. I got to see Jason's line go tight and follow to the left as I was yelling to get the rod tip down, and in the instant of the splash and waves that followed, it was gone and Jason's line went loose.

That would have made Schram exclaim the same words that came out of Little Storm's mouth. Got my blood pumping too. Passed on a lot of what I learned from Schram last year, and a lot of the knowledge I got from Muskie Bob Sr. meeting for breakfast over the winter. Trying to keep it going fellas.

Can't wait to get out again. Super great time out!

Tight Lines Everyone! Happy 4th too!

I almost forgot, I did get to see two fish break the surface, that was great.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Good job guys and gal.Storm If your fish was low to mid 50's and built like a barrel it was much more than 35pounds bro lol. Sorry to break it to ya man lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Storm, AKA Jason

I also had a great time out there yesterday. Thanks for wanting to share your birthday with me and getting me into some lake smallies. You are a class act and when there is an empty seat to be filled on my boat, I know who I'm calling.

Propwash, AKA Bill

Good to meet you, and I hope to see you posting pics of a few monsters in the comming weeks.

Had a great time and happy birthday again Jason.

Dave

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Great way to spend a birthday, Jason, drenching notwithstanding. Good report, and props for the crazy endurance!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(schram @ Jul 2 2009, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good job guys and gal.Storm If your fish was low to mid 50's and built like a barrel it was much more than 35pounds bro lol. Sorry to break it to ya man lol

lol Honestly Brian, you absolutely would've LOVED to have seen this monster. We all just could not believe the power behind this fish, and it's long massive barrel sized body. Then to jump nearly 3 feet out of the water was unbelievable. Now that you said it, I would not be surpised one bit if this fish pushed close to 40+ pounds. It's ok though, I plan on getting my revenge on him/her before year's end!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Trollin' Dave @ Jul 3 2009, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Storm, AKA Jason

I also had a great time out there yesterday. Thanks for wanting to share your birthday with me and getting me into some lake smallies. You are a class act and when there is an empty seat to be filled on my boat, I know who I'm calling.

Propwash, AKA Bill

Good to meet you, and I hope to see you posting pics of a few monsters in the comming weeks.

Had a great time and happy birthday again Jason.

Dave

Thanks again Dave, and glad I was able to get you in on a few smallies. I was amazed to find a few hoenstly because of the terrible weather conditions for this time of year, and the fact that I hadn't been out in that area in over 3.5 weeks. lol My instinct paid off, and together with our combined knowledge, we were able to locate a few them still roaming around in that area. I'm always up for heading out whenever I am not busy which is more often than not for now still.
I loved that largemouth canal fishing, and absolutely would love to do that again some time. They can be a lot of fun in tough conditions when nothing else is hitting. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with those. Now I have an idea of how to target them in such areas.
Fall smallie action is going to be rockin' this year for sure. Can't wait!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Jul 3 2009, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great way to spend a birthday, Jason, drenching notwithstanding. Good report, and props for the crazy endurance!

It was tough, but we all pulled through, and I was able to pull out some fish, and got an incredible never to forget experience with a MONSTER of a musky. Those images will never leave my head now until I get that one back. lol I assure you that I WILL get my revenge on that fish!!!

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
QUOTE(stormchaser5399 @ Jul 3 2009, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(schram @ Jul 2 2009, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good job guys and gal.Storm If your fish was low to mid 50's and built like a barrel it was much more than 35pounds bro lol. Sorry to break it to ya man lol

lol Honestly Brian, you absolutely would've LOVED to have seen this monster. We all just could not believe the power behind this fish, and it's long massive barrel sized body. Then to jump nearly 3 feet out of the water was unbelievable. Now that you said it, I would not be surpised one bit if this fish pushed close to 40+ pounds. It's ok though, I plan on getting my revenge on him/her before year's end!

yup I experienced that exact same thing before season lol. did the fish come straight up or cartwheel? did anybody try topwater btw??

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Hi Brian,
No top water tried, I have $200.00 in Bucktails and a few belivers so far. Got to get with you and get some recommendations on some top waters!
The fish kind of launched on a 15-20 degree angle from the water like a rocket, became straight up into the air, and hooked its tail to the left and looked like a figure "J" doing a hang TEN floating through the air to the left and gave his head a hard whip left & right as he started to hit the water. Just as it went down almost tail first with his head straight up, it thrashed two or three more times and threw Storms Bucktail to the left.

We were all casting towards shore on the same side of the boat when this happened. Storm at the back, me in the middle, and Kelly at the front. As Jason went to set his hook while starting to say "I got one!", It was launching out of the water. I saw Storms line go tight and the rod tip bend and his line going from right to left with the fish. As I started yelling for him to get the rod tip down, it was over. We all watched the fish go through the air, and it's underside was facing us perfect. Could not believe the width of it, and the length. Seemed like from where it shot out of the water to where it landed back into the water was a good 4-5' over.

That was one awesome fish to launch like it did. Was almost the equivalent of seeing the guys hook into a Marlin on TV and seeing it get airborn and come down tail first with its tail kicking and splashing across the surface. Was lightning fast happening. Thanks for talking me into giving this Muskie fishing a shot. Hooked for life on this casting.
Don't even care about the eyes or Bass anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts