Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished canadian waters. Found some real quality fish but no numbers. 4 biggest ~ 14#. Needed one more bite for a good day. (2) keepers in 10 fow, (2) keepers in 15 fow.

Canadian side was like glass. US side was so bad I swear I'll never fish another weekend on LSC until Oct 1.

Oh and two thumbs down to the Ohio and Indiana boys dumping their club tournament fish from 8 feet in the air at Crocker into 12" of muddy water. Woman says, "why won't they swim away?". If the ramp hadn't been such a cluster I would have offered to carry them the extra 10 feet to the end of a dock instead of dumping them from the stratosphere into the most shallow launch well on the entire lake (far South well)...

Hope everyone had a fun day out there and remembered the sunblock!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Jul 12 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fished canadian waters. Found some real quality fish but no numbers. 4 biggest ~ 14#. Needed one more bite for a good day. (2) keepers in 10 fow, (2) keepers in 15 fow.

Canadian side was like glass. US side was so bad I swear I'll never fish another weekend on LSC until Oct 1.

Oh and two thumbs down to the Ohio and Indiana boys dumping their club tournament fish from 8 feet in the air at Crocker into 12" of muddy water. Woman says, "why won't they swim away?". If the ramp hadn't been such a cluster I would have offered to carry them the extra 10 feet to the end of a dock instead of dumping them from the stratosphere into the most shallow launch well on the entire lake (far South well)...

Hope everyone had a fun day out there and remembered the sunblock!

Nice job Kurt.
Drop shotting again? Good to hear they are still biting.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Jul 12 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh and two thumbs down to the Ohio and Indiana boys dumping their club tournament fish from 8 feet in the air at Crocker into 12" of muddy water. Woman says, "why won't they swim away?". If the ramp hadn't been such a cluster I would have offered to carry them the extra 10 feet to the end of a dock instead of dumping them from the stratosphere into the most shallow launch well on the entire lake (far South well)...

Chit bags!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(stormchaser5399 @ Jul 12 2009, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice job Kurt.
Drop shotting again? Good to hear they are still biting.

yep. drop shot and gulp! in the scattered weed clumps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
hey little guy just wondering why you didn't go over to them and let them know they were being "idiots"? i get kids all the time leaving fish on the ground laughing thinking it's a joke maybe if they got an earful from the dnr they would straighting up anyway good to hear your report maybe we can hook up this week take it easy

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was gonna say something but the ramp was super busy and I was by myself and just wanted to get the boat on the trailer and get out of there. I guess I am as much to blame for not doing something. I'm sure some of the fish made it, but I'm sure that some of them didn't...

They were dumping them from off the top of the seawall right into that muddy mess that fills in right out from that far South launch well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Jul 12 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh and two thumbs down to the Ohio and Indiana boys dumping their club tournament fish from 8 feet in the air at Crocker into 12" of muddy water.

Must have been all Indiana boys. No Ohio tourney boys I know are that careless. If you saw Ohio plates it's probably just a bunch of designated drivers trying to help their Indiana neighbors cut down on their DUI count.

Just curious, you indicated that Canadian waters were like glass and you were not happy with US side. Was that due to pleasure traffic?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a Buckeye at heart, but I call 'em like I see 'em!

Yeah the US side was like a washing machine of 2-3 footers due to pleasure boats. It was as bad as I have ever seen it.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
I saw some guys from an out-of-state club at the Harley ramp a few weeks back, weighing fish right in the middle of the parking lot. Bags of fish (with water at least) sitting on the parking lot waiting for the scale to get set up. Pretty warm sunny day, too. I'm guessing that after they were weighed they were carried in a dry bag all the way to the ramp to be released. Great....

I refrained from saying anything to them because I already had a bad day and was in a very pi$$y mood. Seeing what they were doing just made me sick and there was no way I could come up with a diplomatic approach. Discretion being the better part of valor, I chose to ignore the whole scene and kept the expletives to myself.

To any of you guys traveling here to enjoy our lake for your club tourneys, please feel free. Come have fun...AND TREAT THE FISH WITH SOME DANGED RESPECT!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Weekend boat chop, that's why I fish Monday - Friday unless I'm in a tournament.
It makes me sick to see Michigan or out of state fisherman abusing Lake St. Clair or any other body of water. It doesn't do any good to confront them, they just don't care. When I take anyone out on my boat I make it very clear, catch and gentle release, or stay on shore.

Stupid as stupid does&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
The fish treatment by out of state tournaments is getting worse every year. Having a bag full of fish sitting o hot asphault is like setting them on a stove. In sunny 80 degree ambiant temperature black asphault is 130 degrees 1" off the surface.....not many fish gonna survice that. Thats why I set my bag fish on my feet when standing in line to weigh-in if there isnt room at the tanks.

I have started to ask if they have a permit. Most look at me like I am silly, one club actually said they had one. When I asked to see it, they couldnt find it....

I wish they would deputize some of the Michigan anglers to help protect and enforce our laws.....permits, fish treatment, powerloading, etc. While ignorance is no excuse for the law, some of these people need to be "informed"...

Just my .02

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(BASSTEK @ Jul 12 2009, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice job on the Bass little guy. I guess You had enough of that Musky casting.

Actually I'm not too bad!

QUOTE(Mini @ Jul 13 2009, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>While ignorance is no excuse for the law, some of these people need to be "informed"...

Agreed.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Ya know the DNR should watch that stuff. What in the h3ll are we paying them for? The fact that they let out of state anglers come in and seemingly do their [email protected] to screw over our lake is f$*%3d up!! These idiots travel all that way just to damage the fishery they came for.......nice. It would seem like they'd have some respect but obviously much more than throwing a lure & dragging their knuckles is asking to much...........

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Easy now, it's not all Out-of-State people, I've seen boats with MC numbers doing the same kind of things.
In fact the guys from out of state that are members here, are some of the best folks I've met, and they treat the fish with respect just like most of us here do.
Sure there are some that act like idiots, but for each out of state guy, I'd bet there is at least one local guy that is just as bad.
Let's try not to offend our out-of-town members who go through a long trip, just to fish the waters we are lucky enough to have close by.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Thats the one thing that makes me angry about tourneys. I watched one at metro a few years back, and they released all the bass back into the north marina. The next day there were a bunch of guys nailing the tourney fish (smallmouth usually dont reside in the north marina, lol) and keeping way over their limits. I called the DNR but nobody showed up. Seeing as i was only 15 or 16 at the time i didnt say anything.

I think they ought to ferry them out to the main lake and release them there. The tourney was also done in the middle of summer, and they had to fizz almost every fish, but they were fizzing them after the weigh in, which seemed like it was too late. Seems to me like the bass should have been fizzed right after they were caught. Some guy made off with a bunch of fillets too, they gave him all of the dead fish which didnt seem completley right (although better than wasting them). I dont know, just my two cents.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks a bunch Laura. No one on here loves those bass anymore than my younger brother and myself. They are treated as well as possible and quickly put back in the water. I have a 5lb smallie that I had mounted years ago and I can hardly stand to look at it now,I am so sorry that I killed her. I have been a life member of BASS since 1973,but I am not a tournament angler. I only wanted the money to go to a good cause back then. I really hate that ESPN has taken it over and made it what it is now, all about the bucks and not about the bass. If they really cared, not a single one would allow a tourney during spawning, including the biggest names in fishing. I think a fella catching them off the beds isn't bad as long as they are put right back in the water. What I think is wrong is the fish are caught off the beds and put in a livewell,then ran miles away sometimes, to the weigh-in, and released away from their beds. So back to the point, not all of us from Indiana are like the ones that fish for the money and not the fishin' for the fun. You guys have a great state for fishin'and we do our best to keep it that way....Terry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts