Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the delayed report everybody. I got really busy at home today, and could not find time to post this earlier, but it's up now and so enjoy everybody!

Got out yesterday and spent the majority of the day with Bill fishing for perch/walleye, and musky. We launched out of Crocker around 10:30AM or so, and fished until about 9:00PM. We started out in front of the spillway mouth in 10 FOW with good weeds, and tolerable water conditions. We threw topwaters and bucktails with no luck. We decided to move out deep then, and try for some walleye and perch where others have said they were getting them. We headed out towards the shipping channel in 17-20 FOW with only a few perch. 2 nicer sized ones, and all the others were throwbacks. We had a lot of hits and tugs, but only a few takers. No walleyes, so we decided to switch to perch spreaders, and anchor ourselves over a spot where we got into a school of them. Again only small ones of which were thrown back to get bigger. That took up about 75% of our day, and so with the winds starting to pick up, and the very rough water conditions, we headed back toward the launch. On the way back to the launch around 13-14 FOW just to the left of Gino's, we tried for skis once again for an hour or so before calling it. I finally tied into a juvenile in hopes he gets bigger for me to catch in a few years.
A short while later, the fun really started. Bucktails never fail on LSC. Bill tells me he got one, and I thought he was playing me cause of the way he said it. I looked over the side of the boat, and when the headshake came, I nearly fell over and blacked out. lol I could not believe the size and power of this fish. This was my first time physically observing a giant musky beforehand. Bill fought this fish for about 15 or so minutes, before I attempted to net him/her. In the process, he/she tried get out of the net, and threw the hook, but I was lightning fast to tip myself overboard and re-net it. Bill was literally holding onto my shirt making sure this one didn't get away. lol This was an experience I'll never forget either. A 15 minute fight, an "almost" escaped fish, a broken reel, and a great net job by me, earned Bill his trophy for the day, and completed a great trip out there.
Measurements came out to 51.5" long with a 25.5" girth weighing in at about 38lbs. No joke. About 15 minutes after we safely got her back into the water, Bill gets another hit, but missed it. He said this one was a smaller fish, but still a nice hit in the same area. With that, we headed back in, and called it a day there. So, despite Bill getting the monster of the day, and I getting the baby, lol we still had a blast out there, and had lots of fun. Thanks again Bill for an awesome and very memorable day out on the water with you. Next time for sure it's going to be my first monster. I missed the first monster on my b-day, this time I'll get him/her back.

Smile Water Sky Cloud Sleeve

Vertebrate Seafood Fish Fin Fish products

Water Sky Cloud Vertebrate Boat

Attachments

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
good job jason, it takes some alot longer to get their first ski, thats a good sign anyways. as for the beast nice catch bill, and to the net man, nice catch jason, LOL

good job guys, memorable for both, im sure

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Nice job guys.
And man I know that feeling being the net man. Unfortunately I missed the one Mad Dog had on last year by 3 inches or 3 seconds depending on how you look at it. It was a beauty as well, at least 50", and if I hadn't had my cell phone clipped to my belt I think I would have gone in the water after it.
That difference between inches and seconds still haunts me.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
QUOTE(SpinnerBait @ Jul 16 2009, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bassproat19 @ Jul 16 2009, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>55 by 24, but still a nice fish guys.
Reduced 46% 915 x 768 (176.5K)

Nice fish 51.5 by 25.5 comes out to 41 pounds.. biggest of the year?? even bigger than this one

Not 40 lbs. It would have been nice. The length was 51.5", but on the girth measuring with a metal tape was difficult in a rush, could be off by an inch or so. I hope no one holds us to it. Jason looked at the on line fish calculator and came up with 37 lbs.
Jasons scale topped out at 28 lbs., so once again weight is approximate, and what it felt like. Since we were not in a contest, we figured close enough works
Thanks

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
QUOTE(propwash @ Jul 16 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(SpinnerBait @ Jul 16 2009, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bassproat19 @ Jul 16 2009, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>55 by 24, but still a nice fish guys.

Nice fish 51.5 by 25.5 comes out to 41 pounds.. biggest of the year?? even bigger than this one

Not 40 lbs. It would have been nice. The length was 51.5", but on the girth measuring with a metal tape was difficult in a rush, could be off by an inch or so. I hope no one holds us to it. Jason looked at the on line fish calculator and came up with 37 lbs.
Jasons scale topped out at 28 lbs., so once again weight is approximate, and what it felt like. Since we were not in a contest, we figured close enough works
Thanks

It was a nice fish. no doubt. It looks like around 20 inch girth. 28 pounds sounds about right

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
QUOTE(SpinnerBait @ Jul 16 2009, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(propwash @ Jul 16 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(SpinnerBait @ Jul 16 2009, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bassproat19 @ Jul 16 2009, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>55 by 24, but still a nice fish guys.

Thanks

It was a nice fish. no doubt. It looks like around 20 inch girth. 28 pounds sounds about right

That hog looks like the one Jason had on two weeks ago that went airborn and spit his hook. And that ain't no BS!

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Beautiful fish!!!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Great fish and great story - congrats to both of you! I'm not going to GUESS at it's size or girth because I wasn't there... it's huge and such a beautiful fish, way to go!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(schram @ Jul 16 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>way to go my friend. Wish I coud have been in the boat with ya on your first

It's ok Brian. I'm still looking for my first "big one". Perhaps you'll be with me when that one comes. lol Thanks though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts