Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Bill and I talked about hitting the lake today, and despite the very gusty, and "annoying" winds today
, we still decided to shoot out anyways just stick close to the shoreline. I picked up some musky gear yesterday, and was eager to try it out anyways, and so it worked out great. We launched out of Crocker around 11:00AM, and headed back in at 3:00PM. We started out in front of the spillway for a short while casting bucktails in about 8 FOW with no luck. Water was only a little choppy amazingly, and decently clear. We then rolled on over towards the front of Metro in 7-9 FOW again with bucktails. Within 5 minutes, Bill gets a nice hit, hooks it, loses it, gets it hooked again, and somehow it still managed to get off.
Oh well, at least it was a fish right? I had 2 small hits shortly after, but still no luck. Weeds were nice in the area, and water was nice and clear. We moved over towards the front of Gino's next in about 8-9 FOW again with clear waters, and very nice weed growth. I had a small ski poke his head out and nip the tail end of my MG spinnerbait, but that was the end of that. At least I saw him poke out of those weeds, and feel the nip at my lure. lol Bill had what he thinks a bass hit around this time as well. After a short while there, we then decided to motor over to the mouth of the spillway again, this time in about 9-10 FOW along the edge of the weed line there. While on the way there, we did some "leisure" boating for a few minutes which was fun...
We found some decent weeds in 10 FOW there with murky water, and I had another small hit. We had to be back at the ramp at 3:00PM, due to Bill's daughter's softball game shortly after in which he had to take her. To sum it up, windy, mildly warm, cloudy, and no landed fish. It was nice just to be back out, to test out my new gear of which I greatly approve heavily, and to get closer and closer to that first big ski. The next 2 weeks are really going to light up, particularly the week of the 19th. Despite the rough conditions, Thanks a ton Bill for getting me back out there with you, and at least we had some action rather than no action at all. We are getting closer and closer, and I think next time out with you, if we can get a day with calm conditions, then I AM going to land that fish I'm waiting patiently for. Things can only get impressively better from here now being that close right? lol

·
Registered
958 Posts
Me & the wife were down that way earlier today and she couldn't take the wind. (First cast i caught a smallie and nothing else the rest of the day.)
So we headed into the clinton river and I played around the docks for a while then we went back out into the lake right next to harley where she caught 2 rockies on a drop shot rig using crawlers.

I was hoping to work down the shoreline towards the 400 club & beyond throwing different things for skies but........

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(heimskr @ Jul 7 2009, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Me & the wife were down that way earlier today and she couldn't take the wind. (First cast i caught a smallie and nothing else the rest of the day.)
So we headed into the clinton river and I played around the docks for a while then we went back out into the lake right next to harley where she caught 2 rockies on a drop shot rig using crawlers.

I was hoping to work down the shoreline towards the 400 club & beyond throwing different things for skies but........

Pretty rough out there eh? At least you both caught "a" fish.
Congrats on a tough day!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Nice to get out with you Jason. Your new fishing rod will be broken in soon, yesterdays wind made it a bit tougher.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I was in the same area around 7:00 pm trying out my new gear. I was throwing a Brunner Runner and had one follow. I was having trouble keeping the weeds of my Runner. I think the follow would have been a strike if it were not for the weeds trailing behind.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
nice report jason, glad to hear you guys had fun out there.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
QUOTE(steeveau @ Jul 8 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was in the same area around 7:00 pm trying out my new gear. I was throwing a Brunner Runner and had one follow. I was having trouble keeping the weeds of my Runner. I think the follow would have been a strike if it were not for the weeds trailing behind.
Hi Steve,
I remember seeing you out there. The weeds were tough to sneak by, I had to de-weed almost every cast in some areas. Look forward to seeing you out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts