Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got back from bass pro shop where this 7' pole was calling my name.....Well to make a long story short, I listened to the pole and now I have a 7ft pole that I don't have a clue how to use or what lure should be used with this beast.

I have always used a 6' or 6'6 poll. please help me out here guys!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Is it a 7' Spinning or Casting Rod? Medium Power? Medium Heavy? Fast or Extra Fast tip? Is it graphite? Graphite composite? Fiberglass?

There are a lot of factors other than size that can determine which application(s) the pole is best suited for...For example, I have two 7' Medium power Moderate tip fiberglass casting rods I use exclusively for crankbaits...I also have a 7' Medium Power Fast tip graphite spinning rod I use for a number of applications, mostly soft plastics and some topwater. I also have a 7 Medium Heavy Extra Fast tip graphite rod I use for throwing big cranks, bucktails and topwater for big fish.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Fish just like you did with the 6'6". The 7 footer will allow you to make longer casts and really help in fighting/landing fish. Use a sweeping hook set and just keep a bend in the rod. It will do a lot of the work for you. My favorite spinning rods are actually 7'- 7'6" and have a moderate action. I truly believe I land more fish because of the longer more moderate action rod. I'm using a Rogue SJ 703M and SJ 763M.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I'd have to say that the most common bass rod in my boat is a 7' All Star baitcaster (AST846C). I throw everything on that rod, mainly larger baits. You will get much better casting distance and backbone with a 7 ft, fast tip rod. I also use quite a few 7 and 7 1/2ft spinning rods, mainly for better casting distance, and for better hooksets. For example, a 7 1/2' rod is going to pick up a lot more line on the hook set than a 6 1/2 footer. You can 'sweep' up more line as you set the hook.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The beast is a 7ft baitcaster, med-heavy, fast tip, Graphite composite. I had a lot of fun with this monster last night in the back yard trying to figure things out. Keep the info coming guys....Can't wait till the weekend

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm thinking 1/2 to 3/4 oz spinnerbaits or Rattle Traps and 12 to 15lb line.

What brand / model is it?? (All Star, St. Croix, Bass Pro)

I have one 6' spinning rod, a few 6'6" and the majority are 7 footers. I think once you get used to it and really start to see the benefits, you'll find yourself purchasing more of them.

Good luck

Marke

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's a St. Croix. I went out to Sylvan Lake yesterday to try and tame the beast. I was chucking 3/4 spinners, I love the distance and that hook setting power is unreal.
Can I throw smaller lures, or just keep the beast for the biggins?

·
Registered
357 Posts
When you get used to it you will wonder why you didn't buy a 7 footer a long time ago. I would suggest that you purchase a 7' spinning rod for chucking tubes, you'll love it. 7' = longer cast, better hook sets and better fighting power - "it's all good"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts