Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paul Sinko and I meet at Gregg M's house at 6 AM this morning to go out fishing with Gregg, I am sure glad we did. With the storm that blew through last night and the weather report I thought it would be nasty on the lake. It was just to opposite it turn into a beautiful morning for fishing except for the catching part up until 11 AM. I landed one 3 plus pound Smallie and Paul had 1 3 foot Muskie follow to the boat. Right before 11 AM the wind died and the Lake turned to glass. That is when the fun began. Paul was tossing a Black, Red and Yellow Stripped Brunner Runner with a Yellow #8 Cupped Colorado blade, He was using his new Anchor Bay custom built Bucktail Rod. Well Paul yelled "FISH ON" well believe me Paul had a fish on allright. She peeled line faster than a run away Smallie. Then like allmost all big fish stories Paul made a mistake he held his rod straight up and that fish came more than 4 feet out of the water and snapped his line like it was thread. Being as it was the biggest fish Paul ever had on he was stunned at the power of this fish. As he said I almost P--D my pants. We went back to the same area and 15 minutes later I hooked and landed a legal on a Salt Water Silve Mackrel Super Shad. Then we had another legal up at the back of the boat but it was time to quite for the day.
Bob

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way Pauls fish was in the mid fifty inch class with a girth of over 25 inches. We were that close to that Muskie several times.
Bob

·
Registered
99 Posts
What a great day. Even though I lost that muskie, it was still the thrill of a lifetime. When that fish jumped and CLEARED the water, my **** got hard, I guess that puts an end to my trolling days. It just doesn't compare to the excitement of casting. I will be going out again tomorrow at 6am, Bob? GreggM? Compass Pointe, slip #175.

See ya on the water,

Paul

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We would not have had either of those fish on using fireline. I think it stinks.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Why do you think it stinks, Bob? I've used it for the last 3 years on all my reels, both spinning and bait casting, and its been great. If i'm in snagged filled waters, I'll put on a leader of flouracarbon to break loose.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh Mike I was just being me. I always liked Fire Line but I think their Whiplash was better. I have used both for casting big Jerk Baits. They realy need a braided line as some of them weigh 5 oz's and more. I have been trying Yozuri line lately and I feel I get a lot more hits with the clear lines over the braids. By the way that Yozuri seems to be very good line. Everyone knows that I always prefered Triline XL over any lines. The Florocarbon is very strong and we are using short leaders of it on the braids we are throwing. Pauls fish yesterday was in 5 foot of super clear water and I feel that a braid would have spooked that fish. I switched to Mono years ago for casting and I increased my hit rate by over 50%. and I really have the records to prove it. If I were trolling I would use a braided line as it can take the stress much better than Mono. I guess it all depends on what you like and what you get used to. Take care and good fishing. Bob

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I really haven't noticed any decrease in hits. I usually out fish people in my boat while they are using Fireline or mono. I like fireline--almost never have a break-off. I hate losing fish from break-offs even if I plan to release anyway. Lures cost to much!! LOL

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike how much casting for Muskie do you try??? I know there is a big difference in braid and mono casting for the big girls. Bob I caught my first Muskie in 1931 of course it was on braid as there was no mono then. I increased my Hit ratio greatly when I switched to mono.
Bob

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey Guys,

As much as I hate to admit it, it was not the line, I had 20lb triline XL, I did not play the big fish correctly. I tried to bring it in to fast and not play it out, and also, as Bob so kindly mentioned, when the fish came up, I brought my rod up. It hate learning these lessons the hard way, but it seems that it is the only way I learn anything in life.

The bright side is, that I will be better prepared the next time, and there will be a next time.

Whet back out to grassy this morning and got nothing but bugs, they drove me nuts, very few boats out compared to yesterday.

With any luck I will be back out tomorrow, looking for that 50+ incher........

Good Fishing!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Gee Paul do you have a little musky fever. Weclome too the club. My problem is that I have not done any bass fishing until I catch my Legal this year. Lots of misses but no luck. Oh well there is always tomorrow and the next day and so on and so on!!!! The fish you had on was simply breathtaking. Watching her in the water and that jump. I bet you did not sleep well last night!!!!!!!!!!!

Gregg

ps. It did hurt having to give brunner a dollar yesterday

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Bob, I don't offen go for Muskies. I did this year for the first time. Caught four. Two trolling and two casting. The two casting were with Rattle traps(3/4 oz.) with a 6 in steel leader. Caught both smallmouth and musky that day. Usually I'm off for walleyes, but do hook a musky now and then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.