Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went out on my own for some muskie trolling yesterday. It was a good time I went 2 for 2 I did not measure or take pics but they were mid 30" to 40" and fat and were happy to swim away. Both came on sliders in the wash. I will say it is a challenge to reel a fish in while driving the boat and then hand lining the last 40' of line on the slider in and neting the fish without any help but I like the challenge. It was also my first fish on a slider. The next project is going to be a revival tank for my boat.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Great job, Alex. You`re a trooper. Were you fishing Canada?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Ok I understand everything except the slider part. What is a slider and why in the h3ll would you need to handline a muskie in?! all I can think of is braid burn...OUCH!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
A "slider" is a seperate "fixed length" line, which is attached to a main line. This allows one to run two lures off the same fishing pole.

These are common in salmon fishing, on downriggers, and planar board fishing for many species.

To run it in the wash...I woud assume, the "release" is attached to the boat, and the "fixed length" line is attached to either a corner rod, or out rod.

When the slider, gets hit...it "slides" down to the lure or weight, on the main line. So...when you reel in the main line pole, you can not reel any further, than the main line, weight or lure. Thus, the remaining "fixed length" line still out..has to be brought in "hand over hand".

Do NOT recommend, using braided line for this...

·
Registered
869 Posts
Great job Alex!!!

I also was out yesterday from 1:00 to 4:30 in basically the same spot we were with Dennis on Sunday and got the big skunk. I did not have any of the colors he had but still with all the fish we caught you would think at least one rip! Oh well that's fishing.

Again nice job my man.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Cheater!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.