Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got out last night to test my 15hp johnson for the first time on the lake. it did ok, but still needs something done, it would go but i know it has more. i could feel it buiding up but it just didnt release its power. but other than that, it did great. it didnt leave me stranded. lol and its not bad on gas either. i figured it would go through alot more than my 7hp.

it wasnt just a test on the water, i also hit my normal fishing spot, got there at about 4:00, after moving and exploring a few areas, didnt get a bite until roughly 6pm. my buddy lands a rock bass, as he gets it to the boat, i get a dink perch, but...im happy to get something at this point. not even 5 minutes later, i get a 28" pike. so after just a few more minutes, we move again back to the original spot, and started getting some bites. quite a few dinks at first, then a few big guys, i ended up only keeping 7, 1 was over 12, 1-11" and [email protected]" [email protected]" the other 2 should have been tossed back, but ended up in the basket. all on minnows in 4-6 FOW.

it was nice to see some bigger perch in the area, but it would have been nice if the sun stayed up longer. as soon as the sun dropped, all the perch were replaced by rock bass. it was a great night though, motor runs, and the fish were biting.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
We have a 15hp Johnson that we transfer around to various 14 footers when we are fishing the a-frame in Canada. On some boats it flys and on others it is a dog. Each boat has a different transom height that raises and lowers the props depth in the water in relation to the boats hull. Not sure if that is your issue or not but thought I would throw it out their for your consideration. Can also change the pitch on the prop to get more rpm's.

·
Registered
116 Posts
QUOTE(sshhiittyy @ Sep 2 2009, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>got out last night to test my 15hp johnson for the first time on the lake. it did ok, but still needs something done, it would go but i know it has more. i could feel it buiding up but it just didnt release its power. but other than that, it did great. it didnt leave me stranded. lol and its not bad on gas either. i figured it would go through alot more than my 7hp.

it wasnt just a test on the water, i also hit my normal fishing spot, got there at about 4:00, after moving and exploring a few areas, didnt get a bite until roughly 6pm. my buddy lands a rock bass, as he gets it to the boat, i get a dink perch, but...im happy to get something at this point. not even 5 minutes later, i get a 28" pike. so after just a few more minutes, we move again back to the original spot, and started getting some bites. quite a few dinks at first, then a few big guys, i ended up only keeping 7, 1 was over 12, 1-11" and [email protected]" [email protected]" the other 2 should have been tossed back, but ended up in the basket. all on minnows in 4-6 FOW.

it was nice to see some bigger perch in the area, but it would have been nice if the sun stayed up longer. as soon as the sun dropped, all the perch were replaced by rock bass. it was a great night though, motor runs, and the fish were biting.

I was out with my 15hp Johnson on my 15ft Smokercraft yesterday. Popped up on plane and flew with two, er, big guys (ok, about 500lb.+ worth)
Not asking for 'classified' info, but about where were you fishing? I'm still trying to figure out how to sneak out onto LSC with a little boat.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks steve, it was good to get back out, i havent been out in about 2 weeks. so definately nice. plus everything worked out except the limit, LOL

and ok steve, ill be waiting for that PM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.