Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a wonder that no one has thought of it before. Though it's likely that others have and were either talked out of it or simply ordered to forget it. But Lisa McClelland, 15 and a student at Freedom High School in Oakley, Calif., launched the idea, which has attracted the national media's attention. Now the fat is in the fire, and where it will all end (in the words of a famous parody of Time magazine) knows God.

Lisa's idea was to start a Caucasian Club at her high school. After all, the school already boasts a Black Student Union, a Latinos Unidos, and an ALOHA Club (for Asian Americans). Lisa, who is white, felt that a club for whites was needed to round out the symmetry of the situation. Some 20 other students, mostly friends of hers and not all white, have already signed up. And Lisa, who heard that previous attempts to start such a club had been vetoed by the principal, took the precaution of collecting some 300 names of students and adults (again, not all white) on a petition requesting his permission.

As Lisa sees it, the club would be a place where members could gather to discuss "racial dynamics," and how one person's whiteness may affect others who aren't white. Racial injustices and prejudices, she told a reporter for the San Francisco Chronicle, "belong in the past." And her membership in the school's Gay-Straight Alliance would appear to testify to her own basic open-mindedness.

Nevertheless, the idea of a Caucasian Club has run into stiff opposition. Again, not all black students at Freedom are against it. Larischa Dorton, 16 and a member of the Black Student Union, for example, feels that if there's a black club, there should be a white club. But the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People says that it is "vehemently opposed" to the name of the club. "It's not culturally sensitive to the community we are addressing," said Darnell Turner, vice president of the chapter. "The club, in name, seems like a backdoor approach to separation. From a historical perspective, this will bring up fears."

In response, supporters of the proposed club have suggested other names: the White Heritage Club, the Euro-American Students Union, and so on. But these might strike the club's opponents as even more alarming and "divisive."

In truth, it's hard to see what logical objection there can be to a club for white students, especially if blacks, Latinos and Asians all have their own clubs. All three of the latter are minorities, to be sure, but in California whites themselves became a minority in the 2000 census, to the accompaniment of considerable fanfare.

"What is white culture? What are we proud of?" asked Clint Simons, 17 and white, who opposes the idea of a Caucasian Club. But presumably such a club might address precisely such questions, and come up with an answer or two. Surely whites are not utterly devoid of accomplishments to be proud of. If America is truly a multicultural society, then whites have as much reason to celebrate their contributions to it as any other social group.

I don't know how Principal Eric Valto, who will have the final say, will rule on Lisa's petition. But I suspect we have not heard the last of her inspiration. In high schools and colleges all over the country, her example will encourage others, and opponents of the idea will be hard put to explain why white students, uniquely, must be denied the right to organize in benign groups to discuss important social issues.

It should be emphasized, again, that students of all racial and ethnic backgrounds will be welcome to join Lisa's Caucasian Club. Its membership won't be confined to whites; only its subject-matter.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 26 2003, 11:51 AM)I don't think this belongs in a BOATING message board.
Then I guess all of us non-boat owners should just get out of LSCN I suppose?? I don't know capt's what do you think?? How bout a club for White boaters? I thought this was supposed to be a forum for people with common views and ideas not just all about boating. I guess I'll just go home and sit on my thumb and quit supporting LSCN functions with my hard earned cash. Whaaaaatttevvvver!!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 26 2003, 12:51 PM)I don't think this belongs in a BOATING message board.
This isn't. THe BOATING forums are further down on the main Forum page.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 26 2003, 11:51 AM)I don't think this belongs in a BOATING message board.
Why? It's a article from a newspaper that I copied and pasted, I found it interesting and thought provoking. There is nothing offensive about the post. There are numerous topics on this site that don't have anything to do with boating.....

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Sep 26 2003, 01:04 PM)QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 26 2003, 11:51 AM)I don't think this belongs in a BOATING message board.
Why? It's a article from a newspaper that I copied and pasted, I found it interesting and thought provoking. There is nothing offensive about the post. There are numerous topics on this site that don't have anything to do with boating.....
The death of Robert Palmer is OK to have in here though.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
That article is for real!
I read about it a couple of days ago on Drudge Report. I think this student feels like a minority (as I do sometimes myself) and probably is looking for a Caucasian support group much like there is NAACP or Indian Nations and so forth....

Guess I'm a double minority because I'm Cherokee Indian and white!

It's too bad we have come to this....I love everyone no matter where they are from.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Lighten up, Francis.

I know a lot of people were working the boat show trying to get people with an interest in boating to see the site. Why have an inflammatory post in the week after the boat show?

What DOES the post have to do with boating? Or what does it have to do with Lake St. Clair? Sure, there are other posts that are considered "off topic", but they don't evoke the same inflammatory response this one did. Case in point: The weird things your pet ate thread. I can choose to get a pet. I can't choose my skin color.

You can choose to buy a boat. Or not.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Sep 26 2003, 12:07 PM)That article is for real!
I read about it a couple of days ago on Drudge Report. I think this student feels like a minority (as I do sometimes myself) and probably is looking for a Caucasian support group much like there is NAACP or Indian Nations and so forth....

Guess I'm a double minority because I'm Cherokee Indian and white!

It's too bad we have come to this....I love everyone no matter where they are from.
and Female too! The counts for minority I believe!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 26 2003, 12:08 PM)Lighten up, Francis.

I know a lot of people were working the boat show trying to get people with an interest in boating to see the site. Why have an inflammatory post in the week after the boat show?

What DOES the post have to do with boating? Sure, there are other posts that are considered "off topic", but they don't evoke the same inflammatory response this one did. Case in point: The weird things your pet ate thread. I can choose to get a pet. I can't choose my skin color.

You can choose to buy a boat. Or not.

Did you even read it????? There is nothing racist about it either. It's about a girl who started a club in her school. Why is is inflammatory and racist for a girl to start her club when it is not for the Aloha or African American clubs????

Secondly, there are tons and tons of topics not related to boating, maybe more not about boating then about boating. My understanding is that it is a forum for people with similar interests, like boating, to get together and talk. Gee, I hope you post your little message to ALL posts not related to boating, you'll be on your computer all day doing it!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
CAN`T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!!

WHAT THE HELL DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHITE CLUB, OR BLACK CLUB, MENS CLUB, OR WOMENS CLUB,????????

JUST BE YOU AND ACCEPT THE NEXT PERSON FOR WHO THEY ARE.

I HAVE HATED FOR A LOT OF YEARS AND ONCE MY KIDS CAME TO ME I HAVE HAD A CHANGE OF HEART. I ACCEPT PEOPLE FOR WHO THEY ARE. BUT YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE TO MAKE THAT FIRST IMPRESSION SO EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE IT GOOD .

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Sep 26 2003, 01:09 PM)and Female too! The counts for minority I believe!
Now get into the kitchen and bake a pie, woman!

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
hmmm...

The title and article was surprising to read, but don't see how it would be offensive? People have a right to form clubs if they wish and nobody is denied from participating... and, though it does perpetuate the fact that there are separate ethnicities... there ARE, in fact, separate ethnicities... part of living on this planet. Everybody should be free to make their choice and learn more about whichever one they choose to....
regardless of the color of their skin...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you read the article you will read that the club is for all races to join and learn about white (European) culture. I am amazed by the automatic harsh reaction, without even reading the whole article. HELLO
Now I have to go bake a pie I guess.....

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
QUOTEfreckles Posted on Sep 26 2003, 01:08 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lighten up, Francis.

Doe's this mean we need Sgt. Hullka A.K.A. (Big Toe) to take control.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Sep 26 2003, 01:25 PM)hmmm...

The title and article was surprising to read, but don't see how it would be offensive? People have a right to form clubs if they wish and nobody is denied from participating... and, though it does perpetuate the fact that there are separate ethnicities... there ARE, in fact, separate ethnicities... part of living on this planet. Everybody should be free to make their choice and learn more about whichever one they choose to....
regardless of the color of their skin...
I agree pauline......

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
I think all people are green! Series D green......the color of money. I like to think I treat all people the same unless they are VERY VERY green......... Trust me when I tell you that you do treat a billionaire with just a little extra respect.
For example the only multi-multi millionaire (now Billionaire) who rode on the bus.....I made a special stop at the fancy wine shop just for him

FYI 2002 Woodward dream Cruise

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Sep 26 2003, 01:26 PM)Now I have to go bake a pie I guess.....

Apple please.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts