Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've had smaller open fishing boats, but I bought my first boat with a cuddy at the end of last season. It has a pump out head in it, but I forgot to ask the previous owner what I need to do to prep it for the season. It was preped for storage when I got it. Do I need to pour some additive in the tank before use? I'm pretty clueless here... Sooner or later the kids are going to need to use it.

Also, what do you do with expired signal flares?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(Blu @ Jun 23 2009, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

I've had smaller open fishing boats, but I bought my first boat with a cuddy at the end of last season. It has a pump out head in it, but I forgot to ask the previous owner what I need to do to prep it for the season. It was preped for storage when I got it. Do I need to pour some additive in the tank before use? I'm pretty clueless here... Sooner or later the kids are going to need to use it.

Thanks!
You may want to pump out the tank, fill it with water and pump it out again, just in case *something* was left in it. Wal-Mart sells Campa-Chem for RVs and Boats. A bottle (6-8 oz) will treat a good sized tank. That will keep it from smelling,and help the stuff break down so it pumps out easily.

There is not official way to dispose of old flares. If they are 1 or 2 years expired, just keep them on board as extras. You'll need fresh ones for inspection. The SCS Power Squadron had a shindig not long ago where they were allowed to shoot off expired flares, but I don't think that's common.

Good luck with the new boat.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
QUOTE(Blu @ Jun 23 2009, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

Thanks!
Get some holding tank deoderizer and keep the expired flares.. Just buy some unexpired flares to show in case your pulled over for a safety check.. If you don't want to keep the expired flares I think most coast guard stations will take them off of your hands.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
As far as holding tank deodorant I only use the Dometic/Sea Land product. I have tried the West Marine brand and one other that I cannot remember the name and they don't work compared to the Dometic. Stick to the Code and only use the stuff with skull and cross bones on it

Hand Liquid Bottle Product Paint

The flares? Keep them around for starting fires on Gull Island. Seriously. I keep them for starting that perfect bonfire on the island. No need for paper or kindling. Works awesome.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts