Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some days you just wonder how some people get through life!!! Mr. Paul and I were fishing the mile roads in hopes of hooking a few smallmouths yesterday, Shortly after Paul hooked and lost a little smallie we notice these 2 older men in an older Ranger bass boat (rust and black color with 200 merc engine) I thought they were just coming over to see how we were doing and we exchanged some niceties (basically no one was catching anything) We start fishing (Drifting no power) and look at these two and they have not moved at all, they at the time were about 20 feet off the rear of the boat, 4 min later they were fishing and within 3 feet of our boat and almost hit us. Well finaly one of them got out of their coma and decided to move away from us. They moved all the way to within 30 feet of the bow of the boat and stayed there on the same drift. This section of the mile roads was WIDE open, not many boats and they have to move there? We gave them a couple of looks, nothing so we ended up having to move to get a free drift without idiots in our way. What happened to courtesy? Was that the ONLY place these 2 could have fished? I mean come on they were easily within casting distance. Sorry for the rant, but there just has to be some common sense, cortesy and smarts when out on the water. Sorry for the rant but the more i think about this the madder i get at how some people are!

Gregg

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I would of asked nicely, Hey could you move away 100 feet, hey could you move away 100 feet., If they would not do that and got smart than i would of did circles as fast as i could around them till they were so mad and started throwing things at me. Than i would move about 100 or so feet from them. Killed the engine and say. Did you learn a lesson!!! And if they said they wanted to beat my ask. I would say well come on either your bad or your not bad, what's it going to be. LOL
Yes i feel for you but the best thing is to defuse the situation and be a better man and just move a bit. Sometimes we get into situations we didn't ask for and have to use common sence. That won't happen again i bet and i bet that situation never happened before to you.

h2o<---says, you did right by moving but i hear you and it's ok to rant when your right

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was out saturday morning in the mile roads drifting we where about 75 feet from a bass boat when a nice smallie hit. When i landed it the guy in the bass boat said he wanted his fish back he was a real smart a** about it.My partners reply to that statement was to catch another smallmouth a nice 19 "That really got them going.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
QUOTE(MadWags @ Jun 27 2004, 01:14 PM)Try jigging for walleyes in the spring time on the river.
Amen; haven't done it for years. Not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Gregg, you're the better man for your self-restraint. I hope I'm not insulting you if I say that you're old school ... and some people of the new school (or no school) simply have no concept of respect for the sport of others.

Years ago, I pretty much gave up bird-hunting after some unprintably stupid guys shot at my dog from the opposite side of the covert she was working. I'll never forget the panic and anger I felt.

These types of fools are the minority, thank god.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I understand completely, trust me. I was so looking forward to getting back to St Clair from Texas. I fished Thursday, Saturday and Sunday and took Jenny Olsen from Michigan Out of Doors television show to tape the Junior Bassmasters Divisional.

I have not seen so much unsportsmanlike behavior.....granted there were a few big tournaments going on. I ran to alot of areas that I like to fish and never stopped on them because of the boats. I did fish a few areas that had no one on them only to have boats run right up on me. A few of the spots I was actually surrounded after catching a fish.

Now for the other side of the coin. I was fishing today on the Belle River hump and a boat with a couple of guys I usually fish against were near. I began marking fish, alot of them. We caught quite a few on the first drift right in the area I was marking them. We were drifting in opposite directions (boats pointed in different directions)and when we got close enough I asked them if they were in a tournament. They responded that they were in the Oakland Bassmaster Open.....they saw me (us)catch the fish, I told them what I saw, that we werent fishing for anything but fun and gave the spot up because they were in a tournament. Not that they won or anything, but they did thank me on the water and then again at the weigh-in......it amazes me that more people cant be like that.

Anyway, it is true that the respect between anglers is diminishing. It is a shame. ALMOST enough for me to take up golf.

Mini

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys,

Thanks I appreciate it. It was pretty frustrating and it almost got to a point where i was gonna tie on just a sinker and a tube and try and catch me a new Ranger (i am now called boat less, and fishless) But we just moved to a spot where we could continue not catching fish. I wonder sometimes where common decency and respect has gone. Oh well those are the breaks. And speaking of boatless anyone wanna take me out to help me catch some 4lb toads???

Gregg

ps. decency and respect i got, begging though is not below me!!! I am just a salesman!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Welcome to St.Clair......We should now hear from a few morons who will say, 'You don't own the lake!'

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DRP,

LOL, yeah you are right on that one!

Madwags,

No Problem, buying gas is the easy part!!! By the way are you a famous chef? (BAM, BAM BAM) :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
The lake ws a real parking lot this weekend and most people were having a rough time catching fish (I guess)
I did my usual troll south of gpyc and everytime I lifted my net I got company (even while trolling 2 mph) and then there were a couple of guys who pulled up about 100 ft in front of me and dropped their trolling motor in the middle of my path (I am running 2 boards and 8 lines) its kind of tough to turn in time without tangling everthing!
they wouldn't even look up at us as my planer board scraped the side of there bass boat as I trolled by!
And then theres the guy who was fishing IN emerald city harbour marina and was blocking boat traffic in the main canal!

Its not the local guys in there 16 ft aluminum boats who pull stunts like this either (mostly) its is the guy with the
fancy hot rod bass boats who seem to think that they own the lake!

I won't address the pleasure boaters actions because for the most part they are brainless idiots
(with deep pockets)who just don't think at all!!

I guess that this is the main reason that I am not eager
to see an early bass season on this lake!!!!

Of course I never do wrong!

By the way, lots of bass are still holding in the same areas
that they were in a month ago, you just have to work a little harder to get them! I caught 15 nice bass over 3 lbs yesterday and 6 more over 13 inches while trolling for walleye (caught 3 nice walleye 18 - 20 inches)
all south of gpyc in 8 -12 ft of water. (fat raps)

The floating weeds are a lot better than last week and
the lake should really turn on in the next few days if
the weather stays calm.
I have the next two weeks off of work, so I will be on the lake every day!
(weather permitting)
week days on the lake rule!!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
My Buddy Gregg NOW you know what I have put up with for years. Not much fun is it??? Well DPR we don't own the lake but they should at least give us casting room.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was fishing a tournament on Saturday no other boats around. It was a small area of rocks around some weeds. I had a marker out for reference about 50 ft from the spot. A bass boat comes right in on plane - slows down and drives about 10 feet from my buoy, hits his GPS and gets on plane and heads over to a small pack of boats. You could see him slow down again and take off again.

The sad part about this is that I have had this happen to me once or twice per season over the last three years.

Shameful.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I too share your frusturation with some of these anglers. It's a big lake, and there are millions of good spots to fish. Even in the busy areas, there is plenty of room to give. Many of these so called anglers get insanely jealous when you catch the fish and they do not. They will come within boarding distance from you, and some have the guts to get angry at you. Last year I was hooking 'eyes to left and right by the firecracker. Everyone around wasn't doing too well. After the 5th fish, every boat in the area was within casting distance from me. Sad. Very sad. So i broke out of the crowd and moved up to buoy 26 and kept on catching more fish. Some folks just dont understand that sometimes, it's only a matter of trying a different method or different colors.

And as to pleasure boaters this weekened, I too, going to keep my mouth shot ;(

·
Registered
397 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Jun 27 2004, 08:01 PM)Anyway, it is true that the respect between anglers is diminishing. It is a shame. ALMOST enough for me to take up golf.

Mini
You too????

I actually dusted off my clubs and hit the driving range twice last week.

Give me a call and we'll go play 9 one night after work this week.

·
Registered
397 Posts
QUOTE(fanofdo @ Jun 28 2004, 10:33 AM)A bass boat comes right in on plane - slows down and drives about 10 feet from my buoy, hits his GPS and gets on plane and heads over to a small pack of boats. You could see him slow down again and take off again.

The sad part about this is that I have had this happen to me once or twice per season over the last three years.

Shameful.
Isn't that the worst???? It happened to me once last year. There was guy running by us wide open in a Triton TR-21 when my rod bowed. I told my partner to get the net when all of sudden his rod bowed too. DOUBLES!!!!

The guy in the Triton cut the wheel so hard I thought his non-boater was going to fly right out of the boat....

Same thing, he came off plane, hit the wpt button then took off. I don't fish many tournaments on St. Clair so I didn't really care. I think it stinks but at the same time, it's kind of commical what some guys will do.

We could have been snagged on the bottom for all he knew

·
Registered
397 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Jun 28 2004, 12:07 PM)Hard to do from Houston.....I might get in the Metro chip 18 today

Mini
You're in Houston AGAIN??? Dam Dude, you've barely been home long enough to break-in Mac's motor

Go play 9-holes and e-mail me your score. I'll let you know if you won.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts