Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are looking for a 27ft Sea Ray and also looking for a good marina to keep the boat at on the lake. We live in Royal Oak so for convenience it would have to be something between Mt. Clemens and Grosse Point. There appear to be a lot off the nautical mile but I have no idea which of them are any good.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Welcome to the board.

Finding a 27 searay should be no problem, they're everywhere. People like different marinas for different reasons. What are you looking for? What type of boating do you plan to be doing? You and the wife only primarily? A bunch of friends? Partying? Nitelife? Quiet? Do you plan to spend time at the marina on the boat or just use the marina for in water storage? Do you want a drive up well? A park like setting? Are you interested in security? The list goes on and on. Each different marina will suit each different kind of boater.

When you do get a boat, make sure you have it surveyed. Before you choose a marina, figure out what you would like in a marina. It will make the marina choice that much easier.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. We are somewhat trying to figure our boating style out. We are looking for a middle of the road social marina. There are some nights we would like it quiet when we have the kids down with us and other nights we will want to tear it up a bit. I don't see us spending a ton of time in the marina though. We went to a place called the Shore Club and that seemed nice and small but there weren't any services there like gas, food or repairs. Not being familiar with the crime in St. Claire Shores is security a problem?

I've seen that you post on quite a few threads. I went to your website and will probably be giving you a call when survey time comes around.

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Another thing to consider is water depth and where you are going to boat the most. Beacon cove has probably the deepest water around and it is close to Metro and Muscamoot, two very popular spots. Minutes off I-94 down 16 is a big plus too. They are at Crocker and Jefferson.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
We are at HCN (Harbor Club North) and can recommend it as great marina - especially if you have a family. It's pretty quiet at night, although there are some parties and organized functions that include all age groups throughout the season and off-season. There is a 3 story clubhouse which you can use (free) - First floor has a library, bathrooms/showers (which are always clean - a BIG plus), pool table, darts, etc. Second floor has a small workout room off of the main room, a full kitchen and plenty of room if you want to use it for a party. Third floor is mainly tables, etc. They have a couple gas barbecues located on the deck of the club house that you can use whenever. A nice pool - our kids (8 & 5) love it. Wells include power, water and cable TV, for an additional charge, they offer high speed internet access for laptops.

There are a few other LSCN members that we've met there that have their boats there as well.

It's only a few minutes south of Metro Beach, you have Beacon Cove next door for gas fillups, etc. (Although, Mac & Ray's is usually less expensive for gas, but then you have to go north past the Clinton river.)

If you like to do the gull island thing, it is a straight shot from HCN to the island.

We live in Sterling Heights, so we usually take either 15 or 16 out to Jefferson - it's between 15 & 16 on Jefferson. If you are in Royal Oak, it may be easier to take 696 to 94 and get off at the Metro Beach exit.

Anyhow, if you are interested in taking a look at it, give Penny a call at the office there. You can tell her PyrateJim in well 71 recommended that you talk to her.

Good Luck! (The wife likes Mac & Rays - for all the amenities - especially the floating docs, but it's double what the wells run at HCN).

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
here's some info i posted a few months ago. The price for the entire season is in parenthesis. This was based on a 25ft boat...

velger (1747)

michigan harbor / colony marina (1670-1950)

hideaway (1745)
(586) 465-4910

miller (2425)

beacon cove (1893)
(586) 463-3864

emerald city (3980)

harbor club north (2500)

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
QUOTE(lnewcom1 @ Feb 22 2004, 04:32 PM)My wife and I are looking for a 27ft Sea Ray ............

Thanks.
Forgot to add that for a good 270, take a look at this one:

1988 270 Sea Ray Sundancer

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Feb 22 2004, 09:14 PM)We are at HCN (Harbor Club North) and can recommend it as great marina -
They wanted over $4000. for my boat. I'll stick with the $2300. at Beacon cove. 42' x 18' slip.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Feb 25 2004, 12:26 PM)QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Feb 22 2004, 09:14 PM) We are at HCN (Harbor Club North) and can recommend it as great marina -
They wanted over $4000. for my boat. I'll stick with the $2300. at Beacon cove. 42' x 18' slip.
WOW, we pay $1900.00 for our 270 and our slip is over sized. When we upgrade to a 340, it will fit in the same slip and cost the same amount.

Whats Beacon Cove charging for a slip, say 32'X12' and a 37'x14' ? That covers both sizes.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Jim,
I'm in a 14 x 35 ,well A-9 at Beacon Cove. This season it's $1950 ( does not include winter store).

Another great feature of Beacon Cove ids they have an excellent boat ramp. It's four wells wide and paved far back into the water. If you're keeping a trailerable boat there you can pull it to refuel at street pump prices. I've been doing it with a 32' boat for the past three years.

I left Michigan Harbor due to poor security.

ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love it at michigan harbor... Price is right and 696-to 94 to 10 mile 8 minutes from warren..Talk to Jackie at the office 586.775.0852 Call Bill at platium yacht sales
for a great deal.....586-445-0100 tell him brent sent you...

·
A.K.A. Yo Eleven!
405 Posts
I am also from Royal Oak. I find that the nautical mile is the place to be just from a drive time stand point. It keeps the boat close enough (20 min) that i will often go there where if you are up around 16 mile you now have a drive that is 15 minutes longer. Not a big deal I guess, but the shorter the trip the more often I make it out there during the week. I am at Michigan Harbor which is the cheapest along the strip. Not a bad place, but the amenities are lacking. If you are looking for shower facilities, wooden docks, good lighting, fresh paint, go elsewhere (Emerald City). If you want centrally located, gas and services, cheap well fees than come join us over at Michigan Harbor. Plus, we are next door to Jacks and the Beach Grill. For what it's worth. I winter store at Beacon and summer at Michigan Harbor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.