Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gang, I know we've talked about this before, but here is a different twist on the "dropshot" rig. Would it be "legal" to use, for instance, a Yamamoto Fat Ika (approx. 1/2 ounce with a 4/0 hook) on the bottom of the rig (no lead, steel, tungsten, etc, just plastic and a hook) and have a hook tied above it? I'm wondering if the Ika and hook could be considered a "weight"? I know we've mentioned the "michigan shot" before (Tube jig being used as the "weight") and whether it is legal or not (still not sure on it though
). Any opinions?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The regulation is pretty clear that some type of weight has to be on the bottom of the setup to be illegal. I can't see any CO ever writing a ticket for a rig with no weight of any kind on the bottom. It wouldn't be a very productive snagging rig. You still might have a hard time getting a consistent and straight answer from the MDNR regardless because of their concern about snagging and about making exceptions for anything close to the long-line snagging rig.

We have been told a lure is not a weight by some MDNR so a tube jig on the bottom does not meet the definition of the illegal rig. You definitely won't get a consensus vote on this from the MDNR. You won't get an 'exemption' in writing either, but you should not get a ticket if you aren't trying to snag - don't make snagging movements.

The main issue would be for tournament anglers. If you use the rig in a tournament on Michigan waters and get protested, you'll probably get dq'd. It would blow my mind though if any tournament director every dq'd someone for using something with no actual weight on the bottom like a jighead or piece of lead or other metal.

For non-tournament fishing, you should be okay although I wouldn't use the rig in the middle of a salmon/steelhead/walleye run just in case.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan...I can (kind of) understand the argument against using a jig as the "weight" seeing that it's comprised of some form of metal (lead, etc) which can be interpreted as "weight" below a hook. But an unweighted texas-rigged soft plastic? I don't even use a dropshot rig, but I got to thinking about it last night when I was arranging my soft plastics (yes, AGAIN
). Those Fat Ikas are just so darn heavy...what if someone did use this rig in a tourney and was protested? Now that would make for an interesting argument in my mind...

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
You guys have brought up some very valid points and concerns.
As a tournament director this is a big concern of mine. The popularity of the Drop Shot Rig has raised many concerns for me. As a director of a national draw trail fishermen come from all over the united staes to fish some of our tournaments. It has been brough to my attention that some of these anglers have used some form of the drop shot.

Where do we draw the line? Lucky for me no one has protested someones weight to date....anglers choose not to make an issue out of it.....thank god. However what if someone does?... how should I handle it? Those are very huge concerns of mine and the only thing I can say to all anglers out there is please don't do it... please dont put your director in a possition to make a determination of a law that is fuzzy to say the least. If your going to use a drop shot rig then make sure you use a drop line... make sure it's legal. Think of the position your putting your director in when you try to get around this law.

My feeling is like everyone elses I wish the DNR would just allow this rig to be legal...but thats not my choice and if I am forced to interpret the law and make a choice my choice would be to DQ any drop shot rig that did not use a drop line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts