Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an ad in the ScuttleButt about shaft spurs, it seems like a really cool product, and personally I have twice had something wrapped around my propeller. What do you folks think? They don't have prices listed so I don't if its worth it or not from a cost prospective but from a time saving prospective it might be worth it.

http://www.spursmarine.com/shaft_main.html

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Mar 1 2010, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>are those anything like genital warts?

One thing I've wondered is how difficult would it be to use a long snorkel for de-fouling the prop. It would have to be a 2 hose contraptions with check valves, etc., but would it be impossibly difficult would it be to draw air down 2 or 3 feet?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Mar 1 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One thing I've wondered is how difficult would it be to use a long snorkel for de-fouling the prop. It would have to be a 2 hose contraptions with check valves, etc., but would it be impossibly difficult would it be to draw air down 2 or 3 feet?

You would need a large hose to give you enough breathable air.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(ShiverMeTimbers @ Mar 1 2010, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Mar 1 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One thing I've wondered is how difficult would it be to use a long snorkel for de-fouling the prop. It would have to be a 2 hose contraptions with check valves, etc., but would it be impossibly difficult would it be to draw air down 2 or 3 feet?

I think there are two problems. One, getting fresh air through a longer hose, thus the need for two hoses. And two, is it possible to physically pull the air down that far? I've never seen such a device, so it makes me suspect the answer is no. But, it might be because misused (go too deep), it might be possible to injure yourself.

Twice last year, on the hook down river, I had to clear off the props. It would be nice if that process didn't require holding my breath.

Sorry Keven, this is way off the original topic...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(ShiverMeTimbers @ Mar 1 2010, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Mar 1 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One thing I've wondered is how difficult would it be to use a long snorkel for de-fouling the prop. It would have to be a 2 hose contraptions with check valves, etc., but would it be impossibly difficult would it be to draw air down 2 or 3 feet?

That's what she said...

But the bottle neck is still going to be at the mouth piece. I don't think without pressure you could suck that much... Ok Cadmonkey you can have that one

two years ago I made my cousin do the diving over at poor mans to cut free the rope that got twisted up.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Mar 1 2010, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think there are two problems. One, getting fresh air through a longer hose, thus the need for two hoses. And two, is it possible to physically pull the air down that far? I've never seen such a device, so it makes me suspect the answer is no. But, it might be because misused (go too deep), it might be possible to injure yourself.

Pretty sure it can be done but the diameter needed might be too big. We could always put an air compressor onboard and force air to you.

I should look into getting something I used in the Pacific it floats and had 8 air hoses on it which allowed you to breathe while hanging out at the bottom of the ocean.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(ShiverMeTimbers @ Mar 1 2010, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Mar 1 2010, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think there are two problems. One, getting fresh air through a longer hose, thus the need for two hoses. And two, is it possible to physically pull the air down that far? I've never seen such a device, so it makes me suspect the answer is no. But, it might be because misused (go too deep), it might be possible to injure yourself.

Pretty sure it can be done but the diameter needed might be too big. We could always put an air compressor onboard and force air to you.

I should look into getting something I used in the Pacific it floats and had 8 air hoses on it which allowed you to breathe while hanging out at the bottom of the ocean.

Have to be careful. Wouldn't want to end up like this!

View attachment 72732

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Read something not too long ago about the long snorkel idea. The problem, as it was explained, was getting the carbon dioxide that is exhaled completely out of the hose. As it continues to build up, one would end up breathing an increasingly higher concentration of CO2 until you'd pass out. Underwater, that's not such a good thing...

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I have seen the spurs on boats before. They don't seem like a bad idea. As far as breathing under water through a hose. As long as you continue breathing and do not hold your breath and exhale into the water, you should be ok.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
QUOTE(River Passages @ Mar 1 2010, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Read something not too long ago about the long snorkel idea. The problem, as it was explained, was getting the carbon dioxide that is exhaled completely out of the hose. As it continues to build up, one would end up breathing an increasingly higher concentration of CO2 until you'd pass out. Underwater, that's not such a good thing...

yeah I believe some here posted about it and anything longer than about 2 feet of hose becomes a problem. try breathing thru a garden hose and you'll know right away it wont work.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Separate fresh and waste lines in this theoretical contraption work around that. I'm just not sure how deep one could pull air below the surface.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts