Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of sounding really ignorant...

Does anyone tip for services like car maintenance and repair at a dealership? I took my car in for service this morning and I feel like I should tip the guys doing the work, but I don't know protocol. Should I take in donuts or bagels (I usually drop it off in the morning)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
hmmm....

I tip the guys who dry my car on the rare occasions I deign to have it cleaned!! lol...

never tip mechanics or oil change places, though. Never heard of it even.... ????

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When we have boat work done it's usually beer or a bottle of liquor, but these guys are in a dealership and it didn't seem appropriate.

I'm thinking about bagels & cream cheese or a box or two of donuts in the morning when I drop the car off.

My dealership sold me a "lifetime oil change" policy. I make an appointment, go in, fill out paperwork and get into a brand new swankier car than mine that's running and waiting for me. My car is returned to me washed (inside and out) and with mints in the cupholders. It's the first time in 20 years of owning cars that I've been treated with such consideration that I wanted to give a little back. They also know me by name, and I wanted to couple that with a little positive reinforcement.

When things are bad, we complain, right?

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Apr 8 2004, 06:40 PM)When we have boat work done it's usually beer or a bottle of liquor, but these guys are in a dealership and it didn't seem appropriate.

I'm thinking about bagels & cream cheese or a box or two of donuts in the morning when I drop the car off.

My dealership sold me a "lifetime oil change" policy. I make an appointment, go in, fill out paperwork and get into a brand new swankier car than mine that's running and waiting for me. My car is returned to me washed (inside and out) and with mints in the cupholders. It's the first time in 20 years of owning cars that I've been treated with such consideration that I wanted to give a little back. They also know me by name, and I wanted to couple that with a little positive reinforcement.

When things are bad, we complain, right?
They SOLD you that policy?
We offer Free Lifetime Oil-Changes to EVERYONE at the dealership I run.

·
12,052 Posts
Just flash em' That will make them happy. Better than all the calories. Call it the South beach flash.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I worked in a dealership for a little over 2 years and NEVER heard of anybody tipping and I didn't expect it. I got paid a fair wage for the job that I did. Jobs like waiting on tables rarely pay what they are worth so tipping is appropriate.

If you want to do something nice for them, write a nice letter to the dealership owner and service manager and let them know how pleased you are with their service and ask them to pass it on to their employees. A kind word can go a long way.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Apr 8 2004, 06:57 PM)Just flash em' That will make them happy. Better than all the calories. Call it the South beach flash.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
at the place where I get my oil changed at I can come in as many times as I want to between 3,000 miles and they will top off all my fluids and fill the air in my tires, everything for free. That's when I tip them.

If I'm spending 30.00 on an oil change and they do an exceptional job, I'll tip - otherwise, I just pay for the service.

Never, ever, ever thought of tipping at a dealership. $hit they make enough $$ off me right outta the gate.

Here's a question:

If you get a haircut from a home based salon person (and if you go to her house) are you supposed to tip her?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow! This is a great topic! I spent 10 years in the dealership and never received a tip. I agree with the letter. Great idea!

The home hair cut tip I'm not so sure of. I think the "stylist" working at a shop rent the chair so a tip seems more appropriate.

Now my question; I pay $25.00 for a cut and $10.00 tip. Is that enough?

Yes she hot as hell.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
QUOTE(Shandog @ Apr 8 2004, 09:26 PM)If you get a haircut from a home based salon person (and if you go to her house) are you supposed to tip her?

i have, but not as much as i would if she was in the salon.

freetime, wow... that is a VERY generous tip!

skiebum--LMAO!!!!!!
i promise i will not pet any burning dogs!

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
QUOTE(Freetime @ Apr 9 2004, 07:45 AM)Wow! This is a great topic! I spent 10 years in the dealership and never received a tip. I agree with the letter. Great idea!

The home hair cut tip I'm not so sure of. I think the "stylist" working at a shop rent the chair so a tip seems more appropriate.

Yes she hot as hell.
In my opnion that is enough but if you want to ask her out or something give her 20 the nest 2 time that you see her send her some flowers a couple of days before the third appointment throw her a few compliments each time you see her then you'll have a better chance towards a yes reply when you ask her out.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
I think a tip is a good gesture! Go for it!

I tip $10 for a haircut cause my gal's pretty hot too!

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
QUOTE(Kat @ Apr 9 2004, 10:30 AM)QUOTE(Freetime @ Apr 9 2004, 07:45 AM) Wow! This is a great topic! I spent 10 years in the dealership and never received a tip. I agree with the letter. Great idea!

Yes she hot as hell.
In my opnion that is enough but if you want to ask her out or something give her 20 the nest 2 time that you see her send her some flowers a couple of days before the third appointment throw her a few compliments each time you see her then you'll have a better chance towards a yes reply when you ask her out.
So he needs to pay her and throw money at her ahead of time in hopes of getting a date???

How about just being nice, chivalrous and gentlemanly.
Doesn't that work anymore?

I am NINJA....old-fashioned NINJA

·
Registered
557 Posts
I always wondered whether to tip the drive thru car wash guys....I mean, other than when it's cold outside, maybe they deserve a tip, but how do you know they did a good job unless you get out of your car and look?

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
I got two tips this season~

One for 50.00
One for 10.00

Oh and one for 1.00~ didn't have enough change~

1 - 19 of 19 Posts