Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question I know that the majority of you have had some experience with boating and lake st clair. Recession proof has her walking papers set for tomorrow and am looking at yes more boats. And I seen a sweet looking tri hull with an open bow and a newer merc motor on it and was wondering if there is an advantage to having a tri hull.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Dang it cause this boat is a really sweet deal it has one of those navigator trolling motors on the merc outboard and the interior is all redone. It has a fish finder new batteries and a cd player. All for 1450 or best and he already told me to make an offer. here are some pics
http://images.craigslist.org/3nf3p33o4ZZZZ...09ba5631aa4.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3n93k03p4ZZZZ...84d74ab1178.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3n43ob3p3ZZZZ...35cb7661ead.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3n43ob3p3ZZZZ...35cb7661ead.jpg

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot of good responses now I have to look at my options and see what else is available.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
They're gawd aweful in any kind of chop. If you're wanting to restore it, that's cool, but you'll need to sell it on some inland like in Alabama where they don't get waves.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
I've never owned a tri-hull, but I have been on LSC in a few of them. I would compare a tri-hull on LSC to a cork in a washing machine.
With low winds and low boat traffic they aren't bad, but thats not ecactly the normal conditions for LSC.
My advice, run away.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Why not look for something like that other boat that was posted in this section not too long ago? I think it was a starcraft Islander 21ft. It was around $2k and would be much better suited for LSC than a tri-hull. There are plenty of older boats that would be better suited in that price range. We sold my grandfathers 1978 18ft starcraft aluminum deep hull with a 70hp Evinrude on it for $1800 ready to fish (he had it set up for Saginaw Bay which gets just as if not more nasty than LSC). My dad and I sometimes regret selling that boat too. Does anyone even manufacture a tri-hull anymore? Not that I know of and its probably because they realized no one really wants them.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Had a tri-hull and used it mostly on Higgins then one day we tried it on the BIG lake. Launched out of 10 mile and tried going north with the wife and two kids~well like everyone here said it was kicking the crap out of us. We ended up in Ford's Cove for the afternoon and soon sold it for a bigger deep V.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My first boat was a 18ft deep V, my next boat was a 16ft Chrsler Tri haul, i loved the tri haul over my deep V, yes on a small chop it was a little bouncy, but in a big chop it was not as bad as my Deep V for me and no waves over the front. If you have never been in a tri haul to see if you like it, you may want to stay with a deep V like everyone says, but the tri haul is comfy on a nice day and most have a nice open bow that is comfy for the kids and the wifey.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
QUOTE(SeaSick @ Aug 5 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My first boat was a 18ft deep V, my next boat was a 16ft Chrsler Tri haul, i loved the tri haul over my deep V, yes on a small chop it was a little bouncy, but in a big chop it was not as bad as my Deep V for me and no waves over the front. If you have never been in a tri haul to see if you like it, you may want to stay with a deep V like everyone says, but the tri haul is comfy on a nice day and most have a nice open bow that is comfy for the kids and the wifey.

i like mine for the open bow like seasick but it is kinda rough if the winds pic up but i wouldnt take a 16 footer out in 20 mph winds anyways

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
i don't know i had a 16' Chrysler also with a 105 hp on the back of it and it beat me to death when i opened it on a rough chop. broke 1 wave in half one day and had water sitting on top of the floor nice to have a good bilge pump. i still will never take a tri-haul over a deep v

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I steered clear didn't get a deep v either though but it still has a decent v. I started with pics of it in another thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.