Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if most of you know but we had a competitor this past Saturday who was DQ'd. This person would have made the top 12, if not for an honest mistake! I was truly impressed by the professionalism and integrity of this fisherman! He had not one ill word for Doug or the Federation. Didn't argue, or even say a word other than "it was my mistake so be it"! I only hope that if this ever happens to myself I have this much class. My hats off to him! If anyone knows this him personally please pass on my gratitude for showing others how we should all act in this situation.

I had the pleasure of fishing with him 2 years ago! I enjoyed it then and hope someday we can do it again! He's the man!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I too, was impressed with the angler. The smile as he walked up on stage was a smile that told me he had another great bag of fish. Yes, he would have made the team and probably finished in the top three.

We let him know that there was a mistake on his part, we quickly did a temporary fix so it wouldn't be noticed and he wouldn't be embarassed. We then showed him the rule to clarify the situation. Nobody in the crowd other than his friends knew of the situation. We do care about the anglers.

Rules are rules, do what you have to do. Was his comment to the staff as well as myself. I personally know that the actions exhibited by him are exactly what sponsors look for. I wish this man all the good that can possibly happen to a man of his calibur.

Doug

·
Registered
666 Posts
That is so very true. Some things such as this just quietly disappear as they should. Image how you would feel knowing that a mistake like this (or another one that cost you a spot) would make you feel.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Personally I was concerned on how he would react. I really dont know him that well, but now I feel I could trust him with my life (well almost...lol).

He exhibited the fire of competition and the willingness to be accountable for his actions regardless of the outcome. A true sportsman.

If he is reading this, or any of his friends, please have him contact me via email. I think I know of a company that would like to have him representing them.

Mini

·
Registered
39 Posts
Without giving a name could someone clarify what caused this angler to be disqualified? Just curious what this might have been. Thank you in adavvnce.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Being on the board I don't believe that it is proper to post that type of information on a specific individual. If the shoes were turned, I myself (like most people) would not want that posted if it had happened to them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If he blatently cheated that's one thing but if he made a simple or honest "mistake" I hope someone here could share what happened. I'm new to fishing tournaments and would like to opportunity to learn from someone else's "mistake" so that I never make it.

Thanks,

Marke

·
Registered
52 Posts
Marke,

I'm aware of one individual getting DQ'd because he or she wasn't present at the pre-tournament meeting on I believe Saturday morning. However, half the field could have been DQ'd on Friday. No official announcement was made that the pre-tournament meeting was starting. I started walking up after noticing a group forming on the other end of the parking lot. By the time I got half way there it was over. Someone from the Tournament committee of 14 members let me know if I should have my weight scratched.

Our club is drafting a letter to the Federation with constructive feedback that will hopefully help smooth out future State Championships. I encourage other clubs that had issues with certain aspects of the tournament operations to do the same.

Patrick Schwierking
[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I understand that this was a mistake but the reason for dq'd was he had 6 fish brought to the scales. No reason to hid or cover up the incident.

·
Registered
16 Posts
having 6 fish is a common mistake that most would not admit to. i had a second place taken from me, from another team, because of that same thing.

the only way they got away with it was that they left the "extra" fish in the livewell while they were at the scales. ironically, we parked our rig right next to them, and they let the other fish go after the weigh-in was over, pulling the fish out of the livewell right in front of us!!!!

we made a complaint, but the tournament was deemed "over", and we just chalked it up to another kick in the pants.

by the way, it was a "get your buddy and lets have a night tournament" gig, not a Federation or Open Event,etc.

my hats off to the angler that fessed up and admitted to this. more people should follow his lead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts