Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Afteroon by the light

992 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Woods Before Water 
#1 ·
Fished out by the SC light 5pm 10 pm,17 foot, alot of pearch but all dinks. Did pick up 3 nice eyes just cant find the jumbos.
All fish came on shinners, red pearch rigs.

See less See more
#3 ·
If you are getting dinks in 17FOW, next time, if a ship hasnt come through in the last few hours, try the actual shipping channel in 30FOW or the very edge in 20-25FOW. Trust me, the jumbos are there, you just have to find them. I think they move from the channel up onto the 17-20FOW flats around the channel depending on weather patterns, predators, and of course ships, then move back into the channel at certain times. This past wednesday, we were right on the edge of the channel in some weed beds and getting them. A couple weeks before we were in the same spot, but nothing but dinks. We drifted over the channel and picked up half a dozen jumbos in 30-35FOW. Don't be afraid to go a mile up or down the channel either. There has been a lot of pressure at the light lately too. I know Saginaw Bay is a different animal, but we typically have to get to 40+FOW to find anything over 7-8". Perch seem to love deeper water this time of year.

#5 ·
Nitro,

That is one of the best posts I have read this year! It reminds me of my childhood when I used to sit and listen to my neighbor just glued to what he had to say about the proper way to fish. (this was in the mid 70's) He was the lake st clair master angler. He spent all of his free time on the lake either hunting, fishing, or working for the advisory committe.

Thanks again and if you ever see a 19 foor Monark out by the light there, give us a hollar!

Jim

#6 ·
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Aug 7 2009, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you are getting dinks in 17FOW, next time, if a ship hasnt come through in the last few hours, try the actual shipping channel in 30FOW or the very edge in 20-25FOW. Trust me, the jumbos are there, you just have to find them. I think they move from the channel up onto the 17-20FOW flats around the channel depending on weather patterns, predators, and of course ships, then move back into the channel at certain times. This past wednesday, we were right on the edge of the channel in some weed beds and getting them. A couple weeks before we were in the same spot, but nothing but dinks. We drifted over the channel and picked up half a dozen jumbos in 30-35FOW. Don't be afraid to go a mile up or down the channel either. There has been a lot of pressure at the light lately too. I know Saginaw Bay is a different animal, but we typically have to get to 40+FOW to find anything over 7-8". Perch seem to love deeper water this time of year.

Gosh darn good report! Very well done and very well put! Just got in ourselves. 2 eyes in 3.5 hours. 1 on nothing but a hook and crawler trolling, and one on a hammered brass spoon.
Figured we would give it a shot after a guy came in in front of Jason and me last night with 7 eyes. Got them between Huron point and Masonic in 15 - 17 FOW. Went with two friends that are strictly Walleye guys. They said it's been tough this year for them as well.
Wind changed up from 3 different directions on us while out. Came in after dark. Might go in the AM from Crocker. Anyone else going?
My buddy swears you catch more without a spoon, but neck and neck tonight. Going to wash Jasons (Stormchasers) funky smelling Muskie scent out of the boat now before my wife lets me bring it back in the garage. That was a smelly fish Stormy. I got all the cats in the hood doing drive by's.

#7 ·
Going to wash Jasons (Stormchasers) funky smelling Muskie scent out of the boat now before my wife lets me bring it back in the garage. That was a smelly fish Stormy. I got all the cats in the hood doing drive by's.

Now that was funny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.