Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
do a search and type in Selfridge, or Barracks. Or if you're not sure how, I can tell you that from reading all the posts, the bite is fairly decent. Plenty of fish, they are being picky, mostly on the smaller side.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
QUOTE(kiddsea2 @ Feb 4 2010, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>does anyone know if you can get on the ice on base, or is the fence/security not going to allow it?

You are not "supposed" to go out on the ice from base. There are fences around a good portion, however there are plenty of places that if you want to sneak in, you could. HOWEVER, there are signs everywhere by the water that state "ACCESS TO LAKE ST CLAIR FOR ICE FISHING IS PROHIBITED" Therefore, don't do it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
QUOTE(b_radici @ Feb 4 2010, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(kiddsea2 @ Feb 4 2010, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>does anyone know if you can get on the ice on base, or is the fence/security not going to allow it?

You are not "supposed" to go out on the ice from base. There are fences around a good portion, however there are plenty of places that if you want to sneak in, you could. HOWEVER, there are signs everywhere by the water that state "ACCESS TO LAKE ST CLAIR FOR ICE FISHING IS PROHIBITED" Therefore, don't do it.

use to be before some F%#@*&" flew a few planes on a one way trip ...
with proper id you use to be able to go behind the rec center/campgrounds
but you need to get down past the inlet going to the private Marina and line your self up with the barracks. it`s a little hike for walkers, and after bending over the cut out
for a a few hours, makes for a long way back on your back ! LOL.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
QUOTE(yellownitro @ Feb 4 2010, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(b_radici @ Feb 4 2010, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(kiddsea2 @ Feb 4 2010, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>does anyone know if you can get on the ice on base, or is the fence/security not going to allow it?

use to be before some F%#@*&" flew a few planes on a one way trip ...
with proper id you use to be able to go behind the rec center/campgrounds
but you need to get down past the inlet going to the private Marina and line your self up with the barracks. it`s a little hike for walkers, and after bending over the cut out
for a a few hours, makes for a long way back on your back ! LOL.

yeah that's a heck of a walk from the inlet / marina side to the brks, I talked to one of the security guards over the summer, and I guess the reason is, someone fell in one time and the higher ups in command didnt want further incidents to be linked / held liable for fishermen going out from base.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
QUOTE(kiddsea2 @ Feb 4 2010, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>does anyone know if you can get on the ice on base, or is the fence/security not going to allow it?

you can not access the ice from the base! i used to go on the base with a military friend of mine up untill last year when it was enforced

·
Registered
99 Posts
you know what the shame is, i served over twenty years in the army & the baracks was where it happened first ice & last. then of course sept 11th took hold of our fears & changed everything. i always find it amazing that i could go to war & get shot, but god forbid i fall through the ice. all i can say is: don't even think of sneeking out, it's not worth it. go out @ cotton road & stay in shallow fish on!

·
Registered
430 Posts
QUOTE(mrfishtaker @ Feb 4 2010, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>you know what the shame is, i served over twenty years in the army & the baracks was where it happened first ice & last. then of course sept 11th took hold of our fears & changed everything. i always find it amazing that i could go to war & get shot, but god forbid i fall through the ice. all i can say is: don't even think of sneeking out, it's not worth it. go out @ cotton road & stay in shallow fish on!

Hell ya!

·
Registered
113 Posts
911 changed everything! Its now illegal to even fish off the seawall in the summer, even if you live / or are stationed on SANG (I used to kill them from casting right off the seawall when I lived in the Barracks). Last year Military and Vets with I.D could still use the Marina, but Selfridge MWR closed / R.I.F'ed almost everyone/everything except the golf course and bowling ally, and once they closed the Marina which was no longer being staffed/monitored, they erected a fence. Most other commands, after 911, refused to just give up, and worked out deals with local authorities which still provided access for their personel at the nearby local civilian or state operated sites, such as agreements for military access and rates for charter fishing, free or reduced prices for DNR/ civilian run boat launch access, and addressed security concerns so as to still provide/recognize/reward their military constituancy. Why someone at the S.A.N.G command has not addressed this confuses many local AD Military and Vets to this day? Eventually someone on base will take the initiative like most other coastal bases have. The sad thing is SANG's watersports was a major attraction/draw for Military from all over.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
QUOTE(buggs @ Feb 5 2010, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>911 changed everything! Its now illegal to even fish off the seawall in the summer, even if you live / or are stationed on SANG (I used to kill them from casting right off the seawall when I lived in the Barracks). Last year Military and Vets with I.D could still use the Marina, but Selfridge MWR closed / R.I.F'ed almost everyone/everything except the golf course and bowling ally, and once they closed the Marina which was no longer being staffed/monitored, they erected a fence. Most other commands, after 911, refused to just give up, and worked out deals with local authorities which still provided access for their personel at the nearby local civilian or state operated sites, such as agreements for military access and rates for charter fishing, free or reduced prices for DNR/ civilian run boat launch access, and addressed security concerns so as to still provide/recognize/reward their military constituancy. Why someone at the S.A.N.G command has not addressed this confuses many local AD Military and Vets to this day? Eventually someone on base will take the initiative like most other coastal bases have. The sad thing is SANG's watersports was a major attraction/draw for Military from all over.

They still have boats at the Marina, not sure who's in charge of it. You CAN fish the seawall at the inlet now, you couldnt last year because it was under construction. They repaired the sinkhole or whatever that was.

·
Registered
112 Posts
QUOTE(buggs @ Feb 5 2010, 02:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>911 changed everything! Its now illegal to even fish off the seawall in the summer, even if you live / or are stationed on SANG (I used to kill them from casting right off the seawall when I lived in the Barracks). Last year Military and Vets with I.D could still use the Marina, but Selfridge MWR closed / R.I.F'ed almost everyone/everything except the golf course and bowling ally, and once they closed the Marina which was no longer being staffed/monitored, they erected a fence. Most other commands, after 911, refused to just give up, and worked out deals with local authorities which still provided access for their personel at the nearby local civilian or state operated sites, such as agreements for military access and rates for charter fishing, free or reduced prices for DNR/ civilian run boat launch access, and addressed security concerns so as to still provide/recognize/reward their military constituancy. Why someone at the S.A.N.G command has not addressed this confuses many local AD Military and Vets to this day? Eventually someone on base will take the initiative like most other coastal bases have. The sad thing is SANG's watersports was a major attraction/draw for Military from all over.

I fished all the time this past summer off the sea wall, security drove by and never said anything. the fence is annoying tho.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I had to craft my own net to be able to land fish over the fence. I only had a short net, so I cut open the handle, and put a broomstick in it. Then I used some hose clamps to close it up. Works awesome now, If only I could make it telescope....

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(b_radici @ Feb 8 2010, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had to craft my own net to be able to land fish over the fence. I only had a short net, so I cut open the handle, and put a broomstick in it. Then I used some hose clamps to close it up. Works awesome now, If only I could make it telescope....
Go get an old swimming pool skimmer. Cut the skimmer head off and attach net. I have that for my boat and it extends to about ten feet and is light but sturdy.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Also Welcome to the site WilsonArchery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts