Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
12,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stuck in Omaha Nebraska right now. I had such a great flight time. I would have been back in Detroit at 1pm. Now it is a 1 1/2 hour delay.

This airport is really small and nothing to do or see. Just post on LSCN.....

·
Vendor
12,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(garry454 @ Aug 14 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Could be worse................... you could be stuck in the plane on the ramp for 9 hours!!!!

I suppose. I was stuck on a plane in Chicago for about 3 hours. It was because of a storm overhead. That really sucked. They have got to do something about this situation of sitting on a plane for hours. What a joke. I just want to be back on the boat enjoying the great weather I hear is there right now. It has been hot out here. Upper 90's everyday. Nice.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Yes, the airlines do suck. Back in the day, before de-regulation, I enjoyed flying. I enjoyed flying and I trusted the airlines, the planes, the pilots, etc. Now? Ha! They pack you in like cattle. (My wife, who has flown a few times in the last few years says she doubts I'd even fit in most seating positions anymore. I'm 6'4" tall.) They treat you like expendable commodities. (And since the flying public continues to tolerate it, I guess they've got that part right.) I don't trust the planes to stay in the air anymore. Airport/airline "security" seems more accomplished at inconveniencing, delaying and annoying legitimate passengers than actually, you know, stopping terrorists. I'd never in a million years put anything I actually cared about in checked luggage. If it's not stolen, they may well lose it. If they ever do find it (intact?), odds are you won't get it back until you don't really need it anymore. And you will play hell getting compensated for lost, stolen or damaged stuff, from all accounts.

All told: I avoid airlines and airports like the plague these days. Want absolutely nothing more to do with other than what is absolutely unavoidable.

I've found I've been able to avoid them pretty much 100%

Jim

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(Buoys will be Buoys @ Aug 14 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(waxonwaxoff @ Aug 14 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>77,000 painful miles so far this year, i feel your pain.

131,896 miles and 186 segments so far this year ... I doubly feel your pain. Scott.

You need to be putting hours on your boat instead of miles on your Frequent Flyer plan.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Lets see, 1 1/2 hour delay over about 1000 miles traveled from OMA to DTW...I was in a 1/2 hour traffic jam going from the north burbs to Detroit...about a 45 mile trip, and this is every day at rush hour. Lets say you have a 1 1/2 hour delay going to FL, if you were driving you wouldn't even be out of the state.

I guess you could take the bus, 24+ hours, or the train, with worse delays than the airlines.

Or you could drive, with many traffic jams, going through cities etc, and the gas alone probably costing close to your airline ticket cost.

As far as pre/and post deregulation, people got exactly what the wanted, CHEAP TICKETS. The cost to fly compared to 25 years ago have actually went DOWN. Not many other goods and services share that fact.

It has been proven time and again, the flying public wants cheap prices, that is all they reallly care about. Sure, you hear complaining, and people saying "airlines suck", but when it comes time to purchase tickets, its mainly based on price, not the service offered.

Lets look at a 3 hour delay due to weather, which is something that the airlines can't controll. Where do you expect the airplanes to go? Usually, the gates are full, if the're not, there will be other planes coming in soon to take that gate. So if your plane that is delayed takes that gate, then the inbound aircraft has no place to go.

96% of the time, the airlines run smooth. The delays are largely caused by factors beyond the airlines controll.

Because the flying public wants the cheapest prices possible, the airlines are forced to hire cheap, non-unionized labor. Or they go into bankrupcy, and cut their employees wages 40%+. As a result, the baggage handlers, gate agents, etc have a high turn over rate. 30 years ago, airlines were a place of happy, professional employees proud of what they do. Now, there are a lot of unhappy employees, with high turn over rates in certain jobs.

ENJOY YOUR CHEAP TICKETS

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
wow, Jeff...very glad you told it like it is...
people need to hear the other side (in everything) once in a while.

Yes, we want cheap tickets..but we are Americans...we want cheap tickets and first class service

I know those don't go hand in hand but that doesn't stop us from wanting what we want

I will say as a casual passenger- who flies once or twice a year for pleasure- that, overall, for the most part, we have not had many complaints....EXCEPT the last time we flew and there was a 12 hr delay !!
that was tough, but on the airport coz they should have a waiting lounge or somewhere comfortable to hold up for those long long waits. That was Spirit Airlines. We got to our destination via Northwest/Delta and I do have to say the difference in just those two airlines was pretty amazing. I didn't realize just all we had given up by getting the cheapest rates

Basically, I find it funny when people complain that they don't want to wait for an hour or two or hell..even three..if its a SAFETY issue. My thought is...ok....plane needs a part...do YOU want to fly without it ? Coz I sure and the hell don't ! OR...there is bad weather...and again..I am thinking...I'd rather arrive later and all in one piece than ontime

No one likes to wait....it's just that there are times it cannot be avoided.

Seriously tho...that 12 hr wait...was a killer !
and to add insult to injury, the staff at the spirit desk were not pleasant people. Then again...might be hard to smile with 200 passengers shooting you the evil eye ! hehe

There hasn't been one flight where I'm not slightly anxious on take off- usually reaching out to hold hubby's hand- truth be told- I'd hold a complete strangers hand at that point too (and have) hehe....
Also slightly anxious on touch down too..(same deal) and always another whispered prayer...
I give it up to the pilots and crew who get us there without a hitch...safe and sound.
The guys n gals in the cockpit deserve recognition. Since we don't usually see them until the end of the flight...it's kinda easy to forget that hey..there's someone up there getting me to my destination safely and pretty darn sure that they (the pilots) want to arrive safely themselves !
So, hats off to you guys who give us smooth take off and landings and safe flights.
Thank You !

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Also speaking as a causual flyer who only flies a couple times a year ... I would much prefer a delay while they fix a mechanical issue or wait for a storm to pass instead of possibly departing in a compromised aircraft. I'm sure Bill would too; he's just venting.

A lot of times the problem is at the destination airport so you sit an wait because they aren't allowing any flights in or out, then that destoys the schedule everywhere for the day. I had a late arrival in Chicago one time due to a storm, missed my connector to Detroit, and had to sleep in the concourse. But it was worth it ... that was the flight to the east coast when I sea trialed (and purchased) my current boat.

·
Registered
22,942 Posts
I don't enjoy flying. Long lines, long waits, sardine seating, and worst of all -- a total passive role in the whole thing.

Hope you made home by now Bill!

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Aug 14 2009, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There hasn't been one flight where I'm not slightly anxious on take off- usually reaching out to hold hubby's hand- truth be told- I'd hold a complete strangers hand at that point too (and have) hehe....
Also slightly anxious on touch down too..(same deal) and always another whispered prayer...

I have been known to book extra connections because the take off and landings are my favorite part!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
QUOTE(4_winns_fan @ Aug 16 2009, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Aug 14 2009, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There hasn't been one flight where I'm not slightly anxious on take off- usually reaching out to hold hubby's hand- truth be told- I'd hold a complete strangers hand at that point too (and have) hehe....

I have been known to book extra connections because the take off and landings are my favorite part!

You're evil.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
I love the flying part of air travel. I could live without the waiting, etc. But that's all part of the package.

I'd love to take a long trip by train some time, just to do it. There is a route that runs from Chicago to Washington State with an observation car, and sleeper cars. That would be very cool. But it's not cheap.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
QUOTE(4_winns_fan @ Aug 16 2009, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Aug 14 2009, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There hasn't been one flight where I'm not slightly anxious on take off- usually reaching out to hold hubby's hand- truth be told- I'd hold a complete strangers hand at that point too (and have) hehe....

I know for sure I wouldnt go as far as booking extra connections.....
(seriously C..thats a lil OUT THERE)

but i totally get that you enjoy take offs and landings....I do too.
but, for me...it's like going on a thrill ride....yeah...a bit scary....but so worth the rush !! hehe

I like take off and landings because its the two times you can actually feel the power (speed) of the plane.

HOWEVER....once whilst flying Southwest...I had more than enough feeling on landing...when I was SURE the brakes were never going to take !! I have never been on a flight that took SO LONG TO SLOW DOWN !

as far as extra connections....perhaps on the companies dime it's a different story

You aren't union, are you ??

·
Registered
22,942 Posts
Aircraft are totally cool! Facing 15° off forward in order to avoid chewing on one's own knees is not.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Last week at Detroit Metro I watched Homeland Security give an old man who was at least ninety and in a wheelchair, the third degree. He was confused and upset when they took his belt and shoes. They kept running him through the metal detector. I was waiting for him to yell, "Don't tase me bro!"

In the meantime, we've got some young b*%$h screaming at us that if we don't get our shoes and belts off it's going to take all day to get through security. I was angry but didn't say anything. i don't want to end up on some friggin' list somewhere. From what I understand, HS can arrest you for almost anything.

This is not the America I grew up in or remember.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.