Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What an interesting couple of days! Facebook strikes again. Got a call Wend to find an anchor at Strawberry Island. Told them I could get out after picking up my grandsons from the airport on Thursday.

Get up Thursday morning to dive in the Detroit River before I picked up my grandsons. Phone rings at 6:10! A cell phone went swimming the night before at Jewel Island. Told them I would be there at 7:30. Get there and find the phone under the boat. Still worked great. Got to the Detroit River and made two dives. Between dives I saw I missed two calls. One was for a cell phone in the Black River and the other for sunglasses in Jefferson Beach Marina. Made arrangements to pick up the cell phone after I got home and the sunglasses right after I got my grandchildren. Made my second dive. Got my grandsons, went to Jefferson Beach. Found the glasses very fast and then went to my boat and took the kids to Strawberry. Got the anchor in about 10 minutes. Got back and got to Port Huron at 9:30. Called her and she never answered.

She called me yesterday and I made arrangements to meet her dad at 7PM. Got the phone in a few minutes and got home. Got another phone call after being home no more than 15 minutes of another cell phone in Kimball Township pond. Went and got that last night. Absolutely crazy.

I think Riddle got me into a 24 hour job, 7 days a week.

Unbelievable but it has been a blast. It cost me a small fortune to fly two unaccompanied minors here (12 and 13) so this is all helping repay my credit card! Thanks again everyone on here that has helped spread the word.

Here is a very short video my daughter made of me finding keys in the Black river a couple of days ago

I don't know how to put video's on this site. Sorry

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kevin.

Today was fishing equipment in the St Clair River, Then a cell phone in the Salt River and then a BBQ grill top in Harbor 9 Marina. All success stories. The older I-Phone was lost yesterday and it still worked after I found it. Happy boaters today.

Actually I have had all success stories so far this year. Met a great bunch of folks so far.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'm blaming your daughter for setting up your own Facebook page. That Fox news story added is a great promotion!
We watched an iPhone plop in the water this weekend, but fortunately it was the water resistant version and only 3 feet of water. We saved it on our own though. Definitely shows how easy it is to lose one.

All the water resistant phones make it worthwhile to save them. I'm not sure how long they would last underwater, but they seem to be enough to coordinate a rescue.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm blaming your daughter for setting up your own Facebook page. That Fox news story added is a great promotion!
We watched an iPhone plop in the water this weekend, but fortunately it was the water resistant version and only 3 feet of water. We saved it on our own though. Definitely shows how easy it is to lose one.

All the water resistant phones make it worthwhile to save them. I'm not sure how long they would last underwater, but they seem to be enough to coordinate a rescue.
Got another one yesterday out of the Salt River. It was in over 24 hours and it worked when I brought it up. An I-phone 6 I believe. 8' of water and still going strong. He was told it would be dead. I told him to let me try and he agreed. Got the top of a grill out of Harbor 9 marina also yesterday. Another success.

Thanks Riddle. I do appreciate all you did to get this going.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I lost a few things today. I might need some help finding them again.

As far as I can tell, it was:

about 40 pair of sunglasses,
a dozen anchors,
20 cell phones,
a couple cases of unopened beer,
and a dinghy.

Should be somewhere around Gull Island.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I lost a few things today. I might need some help finding them again.

As far as I can tell, it was:

about 40 pair of sunglasses,
a dozen anchors,
20 cell phones,
a couple cases of unopened beer,
and a dinghy.

Should be somewhere around Gull Island.
Wow, you must be very popular to have to keep track of that many cell phones! Also must be nice to have your own navy! I might dive out there after my grandsons leave for Utah on Monday.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
It's pretty amazing how many people this guy helped. He was doing a lot for others before his daughter set him up on Facebook. Afterward, he became a Lake St. Clair legend of sorts and I think he loved every minute of it. Rest in peace Mr. Gratton.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts