Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right,

Who lost their boat and trailer on E 696 Saturday early afternoon between Groesbeck and Gratiot? Trailer came off the ball and PLOWED a furrow for at least a hundred yards to the right of the highway. Somehow the boat managed to stay on the trailer and did not flip over. Crazy chit. One of those times you shake your head and say "man, I'm glad that's not me".

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At 75 mph I didn't get a good luck, but looked like the safety chains stayed intact and the trailer thus never fully separated from the truck.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
They were pulled off the shoulder with a small crowd standing around with the look of "well, now what do we do?". You know, like when there is a problem in the shop and you have 8 bosses standing around - none of which has a clue but all of which have an opinion...

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Sep 6 2009, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They were pulled off the shoulder with a small crowd standing around with the look of "well, now what do we do?". You know, like when there is a problem in the shop and you have 8 bosses standing around - none of which has a clue but all of which have an opinion...

Have you been watching the road work over here again????

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was a supplier outsourced to assembly plants for over 8 years...I've seen it all.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
A buddy of mine had his ski boat do that, but it caught the pavement, and flipped the boat up and over and slammed into the rear corner of the bed of his truck! The boat was actually salvagable and insurance covered it and repaired and he drove the boat later that same summer.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
I was heading west yesterday, probably shortly after it happened. Fast forward about 2 hours later and coming back. a helper had arrived on the scene and it looked like they were about read to head on their way.
Not sure what happened, but no it wasn't Jon. If it was I would have stopped, given him some serious chit and done whatever it took to get him back on the road.

·
Registered
958 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Sep 6 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>All right,

Who lost their boat and trailer on E 696 Saturday early afternoon between Groesbeck and Gratiot? Trailer came off the ball and PLOWED a furrow for at least a hundred yards to the right of the highway. Somehow the boat managed to stay on the trailer and did not flip over. Crazy chit. One of those times you shake your head and say "man, I'm glad that's not me".

And that's why you put a lock on it!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Yeah I always lock my trailer to the truck before I even pull out of the driveway. Doesn't matter whether it is the boat trailer or my utility trailer. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I was on my way to catch the ferry in Algonac on saturday morning and passed them guys. It must have just happened because there were only the two of them standing around. I commented to my wife about it because that stretch of expressway always gets my boats hopping around. I assume it happened to them too but like someone said, it most likely wasn't locked and jumped off the ball. Seeing the trench that thing dug, I can't believe it didnt catch and flip!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you ever noticed how bumpy or wavey that section of the e-way is? When I come down the westbound ramp to 696 off of 11 Mile Rd. when I look in my rearview mirror my boat and trailer is bouncing like crazy. I think I have even seen it airborn a few times. It seems that the pavement is just wavey enough to compress the suspension and launch it just in time to hit the next wave and no I do not drink and drive. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The section of E M-59 just before SANG launch is horrible. Can't believe that area hasn't tossed someone's boat yet.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I know there is a bad area for me on East bound 696 after Hayes and just before the Barkman St Bridge my trailer always starts to bounce bad. I just let my foot off the gas that always seems to help a little. I am always glad I have a lock on my trailer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts