Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read alot on this sight about how everyone loves All Star rods. I stopped by BPS this weekend to check them out. I didn't have much time though. From what I saw there are two different prices on the spinning rods. One was $99 the other was $199. What is the differance between the two? Is it worth the extra $100 for the average weekend Bass angler?

Most of the time I fish crank baits but will throw a spinner once in a while. The reel is a Shimano Stradic 2000 with 8lbs mono. What would be the best length and action rod to go with?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
BOBHUNTDEER,
The more expensive rods generally are made with finer components and the blank itself is made from a higher quality carbon fiber. The blank will generally be a little more sensitive because it has a 'crisper' action, or is 'less whippy'. Both prices you mentioned will include a lifetime warranty and are made in the USA. You generally get what you pay for, so $100 for a rod should put a great one in your hands, but you will notice a difference for the extra money, if you choose to spend it.
As for actions, I would recommend a 6 1/2' or 7' spinning rod with a medium to fast tip, rated for 8-17 lb line. All Star makes a number of models that will fit that category.
DRP

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
My Guess is you looked at the difference between All Stars titanium rods and their classic series.

Unless your throwing fireline or another braided line I do not recomend the titanium rods. If your throwing fireline by all means get a titanium it will last a lot longer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Bob,

The AllStar Titanium rods are a fantastic rod. I fish and build on all of AllStar's different blanks. You will find the Titanium to be a bit heavier than their less expensive line. That being said, the quality of components and the blank itself are far better quality. You will not be unhappy with the Titanium and it will last you a long time. A couple of models that you could look at are as follows

AST785MS
AST845S

You can also view all of their models at www.allstarrods.com

Gregg

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
QUOTE(GreggM @ May 4 2004, 08:03 AM)A couple of models that you could look at are as follows

AST785MS
AST845S

You can also view all of their models at www.allstarrods.com

Gregg
Those are OUTSTANDING Choices,..my personal favorite's as well!!!

Mac

·
Registered
31 Posts
GreggM, I am looking to buy an All Star spinning rod that would be great for deep diving crankbaits. I have not converted to baitcasting gear as of yet. Do you have any suggestions?? I already own the AST785MS rod
. I use this mainly for tubes. Your thoughts.

Walleyehog

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Try an AST843S or 844S for crnkbts..........you'll want a lighter action graphite so you won't rip the trebles out of the fish's mouth like a heavier action rod might. When/if you're ready to switch to a baitcaster then you'll want to use one of the Emily Shaffer signature Crnkbt rods from All Star,...
Those are some SWEEEET rods for crnkbts.......available in 6 1/2 ft and 7ft (Casting).....I've been using the 6 1/2ft'r a lot this spring with spinnerbaits and I haven't lost a fish yet .....they're outstanding!! You can cast a mile with them and they've got the perfect amount of parabolic action to make them perfect for spnrbts and crnkbts.....and no,..they're not "chick" rods!! LOL!!
Emily's an excellent fisherman and she's the former WBFA... A of Y.....she KNOWS a good crankin' rod!!
Try one,......better yet....try BOTH!! LOL

Mac

·
Registered
371 Posts
Walleyehog

I like longer rods for just about every application except for jerk baits. I am not the best baitcast user in the world so most of the rods i make are spinning. That being said I still like 845 series. I like a little slower action for crankbaits and I like the longer rod. I think if you are going to use this rod as both crank and spinner bait you would be better served by something with a little heavier backbone and a moderate fast tip section. This would put you in the middle of power and action for the seperate bates.

Good Luck.

Gregg

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
The difference you are seeing is in the materials of the rod itslef (carbon fibers as DRP stated) and the guides. The guides are actually what makes a rod more sensitive when the fibers are similar. You see the guides touch the line and the blank. They are the medium that transfers the vibration to the blank from the line.

The guides on a titanium rod are a majority of the difference in price.

Also, Bass Pro Shops only carries a limited selection of the almost 600 different blanks we manufacture. We have many different series also.

If you would like more information, please do not hesitate to contact me via the email button on this post.

I will be back in town on Friday (5/7)

Mini

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks guys for all of the replies. I will try the ASTM844S. Does Bass Pro carry this model? I was there a few months ago, and there was not a great selection.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
They had it during the Spring Sale, it may be gone.

You can also check with Gander Mountain Waterford, South Street in Belleville, Professional Fishing Center in Harrison Twp.

If you need more info, please dont hesitate to ask.

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Mini can't get mad at me for this. I like your rods better Gregg M. I like the handles. custom and they fit my hand better. They are on All Star Blanks. Bob

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Mad at you Bob? naaahh.....it is still an All Star no matter how you slice it.

BTW Gregg, through Anchor Bay Tackle, might be selling some of the finished All Stars from the factory soon. We are meeting on Monday (hopefully) to discuss it. I will be leaving again on Thursday next week to head to Kentucky Lake with Mac.

Mini

·
Registered
371 Posts
Building your own rod Can be real easy or real hard. There is alot that goes into it. I have been doing it for over a year now and am just finally getting decent at it. There is alot that goes into the building, guides, placement, balance, grip size etc. You can get a decent rod and build it cheaper than off the shelf rods, however you can also build a world class fishing stick that incorporates asthetics, Balance, sensativity and feel for more than most off the shelf rods. Building a rod also allows you to choose different blanks for specific applictions. Email me if you would like to find out more. By the way, 90% of all the rods i do are on All Star blanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts