Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a place in Paradise(U.P.), she said they haven't seen this much snow in years. Hopefully it will help the lake levels rise. This photo has a measuring stick showing the amount of snow that has fallen this year (taken on Jan 30).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
The snow in the UP certainly won't hurt but if I'm not mistaken it takes the BIG snow from up in Canada to really affect the lake levels. You know, the snow that is still melting up there on our 1st day of summer.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Well, compared to last years chart the water is about 10 inches higher right know than it was at this time last year.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
I see three lines of different colors, but I have no way of knowing what each color represents? I assume each color represents a year (i.e. 2004,2003,2003)?

Either way, I hope your and/or the info you got is correct. I was at my marina Saturday and was amazed at how low the frozen water was. From what I saw, if the water was 10" lower last year, at my marina, it would be dry land on the perimeter of the seawalls.

Thanks for the data. I hope it's correct!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Lake Levels

midexp,

Check out the above link. It's on the top of LSCN's homepage. Red is for the record High water levels throughout the year, Green is for the record low water level throughtout the year. Black is the average lake level, and the blue is the current reading.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Well, I'm up in the Soo, Canadian side right now and there is a good 2-3 feet of snow covering the city. Lake Superior is frozen. Going over the Mac Bridge, Lake Huron and Michigan were basically still frozen. Some clearings, but not much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's what the Army Corps is saying:

Current Lake Levels: Lakes Superior, Michigan-Huron, St. Clair, and Erie are 7, 17, 4 and 4 inches, respectively, below their long-term average. Lake Ontario is 2 inches above its long-term average. All of the Great Lakes are currently above last years levels. Lakes Superior, Michigan-Huron, St. Clair, Erie and Ontario are 2, 7, 14, 9 and 17 inches above last year's levels, respectively.

Current Outflows/Channel Conditions: The Lake Superior outflow through the St. Marys River into Lake Huron is expected to be below average during the month of March. Flows in the St. Clair and Detroit Rivers are also expected to be below average during March, while Niagara and St. Lawrence River flows are expected to be near and above average, respectively.

Temperature/Precipitation Outlook: A potent storm system is expected to bring inclement weather to the Great Lakes basin Sunday. Depending on the track of the storm, precipitation could fall as heavy rain or significant snow. There is a chance of precipitation through early next week.

Forecasted Water Levels: Lake Superior's water level is expected to rise slightly in the next month. Lakes Michigan-Huron, St. Clair, and Erie will continue their normal seasonal rises over the next several weeks. Short-term fluctuations on Lake St. Clair could persist as long as ice exists in the rivers. Lake Ontario's level is also expected to rise over the next month.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts