Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I went up to my brothers house on Saturday and he spotted a Sheriff on the side of the road with a deer lying down,and struggling to stay alive from an arrow wound, so the cop shot it, and gave it to my brother. Very nice 6 point buck. So I took it down here to my dad's and butchered it on Sunday.

Awesome. I didn't even have to go into the woods yet!

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I haven't been hunting since I move down her from Gaylord!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
I am happy he did the humane thing....thanks to the person who didn't take the time to properly shoot it, track it, honor it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Garydebs - I detect a bit of sarcasm in your last sentence. In my opinion, without knowing the circumstances you may have been a little harsh. I have been hunting with a bow for over 25 years and I know that sometime a shot can go awry. 3 years ago my arrow hit a branch when I shot at a buck and it hit him in the back leg. I had to track that deer for nearly 4 miles and 6 hours before I recovered it. I suppose that anywhere along the line he could have lied down along the road and been found by an officer and it would have appeared as though somebody just shot and didn't care. All bowhunters know that a part of the hunt is that there is a chance that you may wound and animal and not be able to locate it. Since in this case the deer was still alive the hunter may not have had the time to complete his tracking and locate the deer which he may have done given enough time.

Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(Scubajay @ Nov 4 2003, 07:28 AM)Garydebs - I detect a bit of sarcasm in your last sentence. In my opinion, without knowing the circumstances you may have been a little harsh. I have been hunting with a bow for over 25 years and I know that sometime a shot can go awry. 3 years ago my arrow hit a branch when I shot at a buck and it hit him in the back leg. I had to track that deer for nearly 4 miles and 6 hours before I recovered it. I suppose that anywhere along the line he could have lied down along the road and been found by an officer and it would have appeared as though somebody just shot and didn't care. All bowhunters know that a part of the hunt is that there is a chance that you may wound and animal and not be able to locate it. Since in this case the deer was still alive the hunter may not have had the time to complete his tracking and locate the deer which he may have done given enough time.

Just my thoughts.
Jay...I am sorry if this upset you...No sarcasm...I am a hunter myself...so don't read into any anti....

What I am pointing out is the type a person that wakes up, decides he is gonna go hunting (whether bow or gun), drinks a six pack in the morning, after finishing a case the night before...Climbs into a stand that he found that was precisely set by another. Pulls his gun or bow up through a bunch of twigs...shoots at the first thing he see whether it is legal or not, even though he hasn't spent all summer practicing or sighting in his weapon, decides he missed or just plain out is to lazy to track it.

Now when a non-hunter finds the deer (similar to this one) it just give the antis fuel.

You one the other hand did not give up even after four miles of tracking...you gave it honor. I had a friend that would not go hunting alone cause he was colorblind.

I say this after having numerous stands, feeders (From private land), faced with trespassers, poachers. Encountering bucks being taken from me when I KNOW I shot the deer.....

It was not my intention to turn this into a sarcastic thread but to point out the people do care out there, some could have read it and said yep there goes another one of those hunters shooting at anything that moves....

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sorry for the confusion and I was not upset. I now understand from where your comments come from and I agree with you totally. There certainly are a number of guys that go out in the woods each year (can't call them hunters because they are not) and act like total jerks. I have seen it myself many times.

Have a great hunting season and good luck to you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FELLA'S (shouting)

This was suppost to be a positive thread. Let me repeat myself........I have venison in the freezer............... I ate some last night......it tasted very good.........that was the point on intention...............have a great day. Hunt and eat well my friends.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
It is positive...pointing out that the fellas did the right, humane decission!

Kudos!

How did you prepare it????? Tenderloin?????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saving the tenderloins for our first night up at our camp for gun season on the 14th. Got a lot of steaks and of course chopped some burger up. I love useing venison in hamburger helper. Awesome.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Mmmmm! Venison Hogies!

·
Registered
765 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Nov 5 2003, 11:06 AM)FELLA'S (shouting)

This was suppost to be a positive thread. Let me repeat myself........I have venison in the freezer............... I ate some last night......it tasted very good.........that was the point on intention...............have a great day. Hunt and eat well my friends.

CONVINCOR (shouting)

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO HAVE US OVER TO ENJOY SOME OF THIS DELICIOUS FEAST!!???

You heard Gary say that he hasn't been deer hunting in a while

·
Registered
605 Posts
im a truck driver ,i see so many deer on the side of the road .you think some body would pick them up and give them to a needy family .

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Convincor, where was this deer that you found?
My co-worker lsot was in the way the Subajay mentioned, and was very bummed about it. It would be nice to know that it was found enjoyed by someone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts