Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having exhausted attempts to transfer within my company, I am ready to quit my job and move back to Michigan.

Wisconsin is a nice place to visit, but I don't want to live here. It's time to return to civilization. My wife, son and I will stay with family for a short time while we look for employment and a place to live.

I have been trying for over a year to get back but nothing is working out. I should be able to land work pretty quickly as I've been in the IT industry for over 15 years. I might add that I'm a Programmer within the finance community, banking related. I should be able to find something in that area. I also can return to my company within a year without loosing any time. We have a business unit in Troy.

The family back there is concerned that we are making a mistake. I don't think that's the case. It's not a decision that was hatched over night. There are so many reasons to return and very few to stay.

I'm looking for some feed back from all of the LSCN folks. Positive or negative. Are we crazy? What say you?

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I can say little. I have been here since I was about 1 and don't know what it's like to live in other places. I can say that jobs are scarce here and IT is not where you might end up.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Check out Denver; great place to raise a family plus a large IT workforce. Come back to MI only after you've looked at all your options.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
I can't speak for you and your family.. That's something that you need to answer yourself.. Is "IT" possible that you can check on a job situation here in Michigan before you quit your other job and move back.. You have a family to support and it may be difficult for your family here in Michigan to support you and your family while your out of work??? Just my .02 cents worth here.. I always worry about my daughter and son-in-law.... Good luck in your decision.... :>)

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
You gonna find a job here first? Classified ads here have been pretty thin lately.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'm a programmer in the financial/insurance arena working in PowerBuilder with heavy SQL experience. I would love to find another job but there just isn't anything out there. Please look before you leap on this one. A contractor sits across from me and he has been here 3 months because he couldn't find anything else and the damn contract house doesn't even supply health insurance!

As far as coming back to Michigan because you like it here and have family, I have to say I understand that. Sure, it gets cold in the winter but what a great place to live! Now, if the choice was between Michigan and California, I might feel differently - California is great.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Remember family knows best! Really take their thoughts into consideration. Don't go far from the rest of them either go where your heart tells you to go but it's always nice to be near your partents, brothers, sisters...

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(JABBERJAWZ @ Jun 1 2004, 11:49 AM)
You could move to India, thats where GM is sending all their IT work.
sad but true.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Geez.....who cares about a job. You can get a job cutting lawns for christ sake. If your family is all here and you and your wife hate Wisconsin than by all means move back. Lifes to short....follow your heart.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for your valued input.

And Rerun - you said it. It's all about the quality of life. We were happy here, but I accepted the transfer to our corporate headquarters for all the right reasons. I've done my time and I'm coming back.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(waxonwaxoff @ Jun 2 2004, 08:50 AM)If you want to send me your resume, I can pass it on to our IT recruiters... Best of luck.
[email protected]
I'll get right on that. Thanks

I remembered that someone here was a head hunter but couldn't remember who. Case closed.

And I will.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts