Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
American Bass Anglers is taking a stand on the long and heated debate of Drop Shotting in Michigan.

As a district manager of the American Bass Anglers Trail I have made numerous phone calls to law enforcement agencies and the DNR. I have received confusing answers regarding drop shotting and is it legal. The law enforcement agencies have mixed views on what is a legal fishing rig and what is not. It appears from what I have gathered that most don't even know what a drop shot rig is. In fact almost all of them feel what I describe as a drop shot rig is legal by their standards.

After discussing this with our corporate office we have decided to take an aggressive stand on Drop Shotting. The ABA's stance is that they will allow their members to use the drop shot rig in all our districts. Using a drop shot rig will be up to each and every member's choice. They can choose to use it or avoid it. However if they do get stopped by a law enforcement agency and receive a ticket the ABA will disqualify them for the ticket. However we will only disqualify a person if they receive a ticket. It is our belief that about 90% of law enforcement officers out there would not give fishermen a ticket as long as his intent was not to snag. The ABA views the drop shot rig as an ethical fishing method. It is legal to use on all our trails without question. However the ABA rules state if you receive a ticket for any reason during an ABA event you will be disqualified.

To sum it up:

The ABA is saying go ahead and use it in our tournaments we will not enforce it. However in the back of your mind understand that a very small amount of law enforcement officers may give you a ticket for it and if they do the ABA will disqualify you for that ticket.

I hope that our aggressive stance will help others to follow and will help the law agencies and its officers to follow as well. We view this rig as a legal rig and will only disqualify you in the event you manage to get a ticket for it.

Good Fishing and have fun.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Anthony Adams

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
That is good to hear Anthony. I am sure alot of your anglers will be happy and successful using the rig.

Have a great year, and I will be in touch.

Oh yea folks, the ABA is another circuit that All Star sponsors, not only on the regional and local level, but nationally as well.

Mini

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Thanks John,

I have hope that our aggresive approach will help people to see that this is a widely excepted legal fishing method.

Someone has to start the crusade.

All Star is one of my favorite sponsors. A great company and a great fishing rod. All Star has been very good for the ABA.

I use All Star Rods almost exclusively. My favorite is the 845MS-TRS tube rod. I love this rod. I use it a bunch in the spring when tossing light spoft plastics into the weeds. I also use it most of the summer as my tube rod. This rod is perfect for tossing soft plastic in the weeds. It has tons of back-bone for horsing those bucket mouths out of heavy cover. If your not flipping this rod is great for trash fishing. I also like the rod for dock fishing. My only wish is that I could get it in a 6'6" model for a dock rod. The 7' lenght is just a hair long for dock fishing.

Maybe you could suggest a model for me.

Good Fishing and have fun.

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks John that will be my next purchase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts