Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, after fishing the bay with father 20 years ago i finally got my own boat. i have not been on the lake since and i am looking for some tips and locations. my area of focus would be the bay from selfridge to fisher bay and the north channel. my perfered fish (only so i can keep dads freezer stocked) would be walleye. but I just love catching fish dont really care what. they are all a blast. will be taking my 3 and half year old son with me sometimes so a good panfish spot would be great. any and all help is greatly appreciated. thanks Mark

·
Registered
69 Posts
If your fishing that Bay between Selfridge and Mac and Rays.....be VERY careful. There is a HUGE restriced area in there due to the Air National Gaurd base. All last Summer whilst launching from the Selfridge ramp, a sodier in a Humvee with an M-16 could be seen watching over the area in front of the base. They will give you ONE warning..yYou fail to hear it, and they will open fire. As for Anchor Bay....in my humble oinon, it's all dried up. I haven't caught anything of significane out of there for a LOONGG time. Not even a crummy Rock Bass. Supposedly, it is teeming with Northern Pike and Musky...but you have to know the right equipment, and the knowledge of how to catch them...which I do not, which is why I stay away from Anchor Bay.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have to disagree about Anchor Bay. I keep both of my boats on the north shore and fish the bay as much as the rest of the lake. Figuring the bay out may be difficult, which may keep some people away, but it's worth the effort.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Camera Guy and I fished at Selfridge today and he caught a Muskie and a couple of Smallies.(Nice ones by the way) Anchor Bay is the best fishing hole in the lake in my opinion. Bob

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Anchor Bay is alive and well and has a good population of walleye. Not the best in the lake, but still good.

There are numerous areas to fish for almost as many different species. The area around grassy and in the channel(s) coming out of the North Channel are hotspots for walleye, perch and bass. The mouth of any of the feeder creeks and rivers are also good for many different species. The lake has changed alot in the last 20 years, but some of the same locations and techniques still work. Mostly it is the techniques that have changed due to the cleaner water.

If you are just wanting to catch anything, try drifting with a spottail shiner and a splitshot about 18" above it. Keep enough weight to keep the shiner out of the grass (more in a fast drift, less in a slow drift).......then hang on!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
QUOTE(Infamous @ Apr 25 2003, 01:19 PM)If your fishing that Bay between Selfridge and Mac and Rays.....be VERY careful. There is a HUGE restriced area in there due to the Air National Gaurd base. All last Summer whilst launching from the Selfridge ramp, a sodier in a Humvee with an M-16 could be seen watching over the area in front of the base. They will give you ONE warning..yYou fail to hear it, and they will open fire. As for Anchor Bay....in my humble oinon, it's all dried up. I haven't caught anything of significane out of there for a LOONGG time. Not even a crummy Rock Bass. Supposedly, it is teeming with Northern Pike and Musky...but you have to know the right equipment, and the knowledge of how to catch them...which I do not, which is why I stay away from Anchor Bay.
Trying to keep a little piece of paradise to oneself are we.
LOL, I think it is a great place to fish and I believe the post was in jest.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Nope its true. The area between Mac and Rays west canal to the Selfridge Pulic Access Site was off limits last summer. This year, so far it is open.

Mini

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Mini:

I knew about the closure. Used to have my boat in at SANGB until they closed the marina due to 9-11. Sorry, I did not make myself clear - I was making jest of the poor fishing remarks. The marina is open and the area that was off limits is once again available. You ought to see the cool boat they bought to patrol the area. Nice T-Top, offshore type boat with one heck of a loud air horn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts