Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is coming into town, and is going to take me flying. We would like to go by boat to Anchor Bay and dock there. Does anyone know of public docks in that area? Thanks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm not sure but I do know that Algonac Harbour Club has transient docking.

Someone will probably come up with a place that's better.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
There are no "public" docks in Anchor Bay.

You could get a transient slip at Schmid's Marina in New Baltimore or Bouvier Bridge Marina in Fair Haven. The latter is not far from the St. Clair airport - is that where your friend will take you flying? Also lots of power parachutes in that area.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, that is exactly where... Thanks, Schmidt's would be perfect, and I'm calling them now. This board makes boating so much more fun!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Well, Schmid's is farther away from the airport, maybe 9 or ten miles total. Bouvier Bridge is maybe four. I assume you will have a ride?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Eight bucks a night?! Wow - you can't beat that!!

And with Schmid's you're right in downtown New Baltimore, within easy walking distance of a couple bars and restaurants. Try Izzy's Deli - the food is great and HUGE!

Fishfly Festival has everything screwed up this weekend, but maybe you would like that. I don't but I'm a crabby old man who lives in New Baltimore - all that festival does for me is tie up traffic every year.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again boatmonkey. If your feeling old, go to Jobbie Nooner, I hear it makes you young again!!!!!!!
Thanks for the great advice

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
$8??!! That's great! If I didn't dock so close to there, I'd do a weekend getaway there.

Speaking of staying overnight by boat... We're gonna do the Port Huron Black River thing. I've heard from a few peeps before about this. Anyone here ever stay there overnight by boat? Any tips? Best place (city marina or seawall)? Might do it later this season, but would appreciate any input. Also, wouldn't mind seeing if any other peeps wanna make that cruise up for a day or two.

Any takers lemme know.

·
Registered
353 Posts
QUOTE(Campari @ Jun 26 2003, 08:56 PM)$8??!! That's great! If I didn't dock so close to there, I'd do a weekend getaway there.

Speaking of staying overnight by boat... We're gonna do the Port Huron Black River thing. I've heard from a few peeps before about this. Anyone here ever stay there overnight by boat? Any tips? Best place (city marina or seawall)? Might do it later this season, but would appreciate any input. Also, wouldn't mind seeing if any other peeps wanna make that cruise up for a day or two.

Any takers lemme know.
First - what is the depth at Schmid's?

Campari - We have been to Port Huron several times and always have stayed at the Black River Marina. About a buck a foot and close to town. Port Huron is OK, but you need a bike to get out to the beach north of town and to scoot around the river walk and under the Bridge.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(Zesty @ Jun 26 2003, 11:04 PM)QUOTECampari - We have been to Port Huron several times and always have stayed at the Black River Marina. About a buck a foot and close to town. Port Huron is OK, but you need a bike to get out to the beach north of town and to scoot around the river walk and under the Bridge.
That's what I've heard, that you're pretty far away from town. I don't wanna be stuck upriver with no shade and no swimming. I was thinking of staying on the seawall, right in town. Still, I guess we need some transportation to the nearest beach, eh?

Gonna have to re-think this one, as our boat is not quite big enough to include bikes. We MIGHT be able to get the inflatable up there with us. Take the Zodiac up the river to the cutoff, out to the lake on the North side of town (anyone here ever done that????)

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you stay at the Marina you are close to town, but a little ways from the Beach. I wouldn't want to swim anywhere in the Black River. The seawall on the Black River is actually the Public Docks (Black River Marina). There are other marina's farther up the river, but unless you are visiting during Port Huron to Mackinac, there are usually plenty of slips at the Public Docks.
The seawall on the big river (St. Clair) is not the place to be tying up a boat. The current is quite strong and because of all the water entering the river from Huron, the river is quite bumpy.
As for dingying up to the beach, I don't think the dink would make it. I can be on plane doing 25 kts and at the mouth of the river (under the bridge) you can feel the brakes being applied (down to 18 - 19 kts) - STRONG current.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Chart depth is 1 - 3 - 6. There is a dredge channel there that may be deeper. Also I know there is a sandbar our there so be carefull!

Beachbum and Hammer where are you. Hailing you!

Are you sure you don't want to go to Algonac harbour club?

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
Campari we are thinking of making that run in late July no date set yet. Would love to do it with another boat. Makes you feel more secure. We were going to go up to Lexington and stay there. It is a nice marina and a beach is right there to hang out the town has some resturants, bars and shops and you can walk wherrever you need to go. It is about 17 miles up the coast. I have a friend who lives in lakeport just north of the state park so ive done alot of boating in that area. We trailerd to lexington and launched there when we had or 18 ft.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
waxonwaxoff,

The channel into Schmid's is a straight shot in from the lake. Line up with the opening in the seawall. It is only 3 to 4 feet over the sandbar but the rest is 4 to 6 feet. I keep my 32 foot cruiser there over the winter but I only draw a couple feet, so watch your depth and be ready to trim your outdrives a bit if you have to.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
I meant taking the zodiac up the Black River to the cutoff on the North end of town (runs between the Black River and Lake Huron). I've seen jet skis going down the cutoff to the lake, just wondered if anyone here ever did that with a dinghy or something small.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts