Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always here Anchor Bay is quality fishing area. I will be launching from Selfridge Launch and wanted to know were is a good area to try? I ice fished in front of that launch and only remember really shallow and sandy area?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would head across to Grass Island and troll for Walleye. I've heard that they catch a few pike and musky casting daredevils about a mile out from the Belle River. Good luck.
Mister D.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
In the spring the flats near selfidge (4-6') can be good. The smallie action will start to wane out as the water temps rise. Once they do just start heading out deeper 8-10'. Grassy is a good area do to the current flow from the N. Channel.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This past Saturday, I fished the Anchor Bay area during the BFL tournament and caught only 1 smallmouth. I was really surprised as only two days earlier I had no problems finding smallies. I fished from 2 foot out of 12 foot of water.

Good luck...

·
Registered
927 Posts
i went to anchor bay once. got a little too close to slefridge waters and the dude in the tower gave us 5 seconds to leave the area or they could open fire. that was enough for me. that was last year, i have heard its not that bad this year around there ( i dont know about the fishing, im talking about the military) i heard there is some good smallie fishing up there in the fall tho.

madman himself

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was out last Sunday from Selfridge launch up to the Salt River for about 3 hours. Working weeds in 4-6 feet with mostly rattle traps, I caught and released 3 smallmouth, all about 2 lbs each, and a very young muskie around 20 inches. Water temp was about 72-74 degrees. If I'd had more time and it was a weekday, then I would have moved out to deeper water. Scratch that. I would probably have gone over to Grassy Island or out from the North Channel.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I launched from Selfridge on Friday and went over to grassy and north channel and got skunked. Came back and fished the flats around Salt River (4-6' weed patches) and picked up some smallies and tons of large mouths.

I also fished near the AFB (marker bouys and machine gun are gone) and did about the same. Again, a few smallies and mostly large mouths. But this area had a few nice pike and 40" musky thrown in as an added bonus

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"I also fished near the AFB (marker bouys and machine gun are gone) and did about the same. Again, a few smallies and mostly large mouths. But this area had a few nice pike and 40" musky thrown in as an added bonus "

How far out from selfridge and what depth? Also what lures did you enjoy using?
Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can anyone verify Perch out at grassy? I would like to go out there tonight and see if I can get any of those tasty devils........

·
Registered
397 Posts
David,

I was fishing a 1/2oz chartues & white spinnerbait in 4 to 6' of water around isolated weed patches. I can't tell you specifically where because I was out there for 13 hours and hit every square inch of that bay.

What ever the direction the wind is blowing just head into it for a while. When you're tired of driving the boat turn off the motor and fish. Let the wind blow you across the bay while you throw your favorite bait.

It's ALL good!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Go for it Dave.....That's exactly how I plan on spending my long weekend. (Friday and Saturday anyway). I'll be fishing from around 5am to Noon both days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts