Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner


5840 Views 28 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  PyrateJim
Well...since the sailing board is as usual - DEAD, I thought I'd post a query...

Where, my fellow sailors or even powerboaters who may know, can a sailboat drop the ol' hook for awhile where there is enough depth (say oh I dunno about 6' or more to give me a little breathing room with my 5'1" draft)?

I've anchored across the "old" channel from Gull Island and it seems nice there and the hold seems good....but is it "legal" to anchor there?

What other places on our fair lake exist?


1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Go up the cutoff and then down the Basset Channel about 2 miles to a wide area. It is a peaceful overnight anchorage.

Also, sail across the lake to the Thames River and go up about a mile and a half to Jennettes Creek. Just tie off to a tree.
For the benefit of those of us who haven't lived in this area real long. What are you referring to as "The Cutoff"?
Ryan: The Cutoff is the newer channel that the freighters use that goes around the south side of Seaway Island, but you can reach the Bassett Channel also by taking the South Channel.

Windjammer: Thanks for the tips. As for the Bassett option...I suppose that falls within the "if you drop the hook in Canada you've got to call into customs" rule. Sounds like I need to break down and get and I-68. Seems like all of the good spots are over in Canada.

Has anyone ever tried to anchor off of the south side of Peche Island? I see lots of sticks anchored there but on the chart it doesn't look like there's a lot of depth outside of the channel.
Jacks is the place, Beach gril, Browns
Man can not live on bread alone!
So if you did drop the hook in Bassett, how do you call into customs? I thought you had to go ashore and use a phone that is set up for CanPass?
See less See more
So what is the actual proper thing to do when you come back to the US? Since the I68 only covers INS and you still have to cover customs?
Ahh...the confusion of the INS/Customs process...

I too am baffled these days..

As I understand it, the I-68 DOES cover the immigration portion of things. And as far as customs, one need only call them (1 800 CANPASS)...problem MUST be from a land line! Pretty tough when your anchored in the middle of nowhere. There in lies the rub I guess. Same is true on the "return" to the U.S.
The I-68 covers US Immigration, not Customs. US Customs is supposed to fine you when you return if you don't have the I-68. Without I-68 you are supposed to return to one of the border checkpoints, (Bluewater Bridge, etc..) or one of the "video call in phones" that are supposed to be at Marinas but no one has ever seen.

CanPass is Canadian customs. This still leaves the question of US Customs when you return. I think you are supposed to call but I have heard that most people don't bother when returning to the US.
If you anchor in Canada you do not have to report to customs. You only have to report if you go ashore. You can also go to a marina and get fuel, ice, ect. without reporting as long as you stay on the boat.
I sent in my paperwork for the Canpass just before the holidays and am still waiting for the final paperwork. I had forgotten to fill in a line and they sent it back to me within 2 weeks, I returned it the next day and now it has been over a month. Anyone know the average turn around time on the CanPass?

As I read the paperwork, I dont recall seeing anything about having to call CanPass from a land line. It simply states that you need to call their number no more than 4 hours before landing on Canadian soil and give your CanPass number, boat number and names, dob's and nationality of all persons aboard your boat. If they randoml;y pick you, then you have to go see "the man" for verification.

As for the I-68, we are going down to the tunnel for processing on the 1st of Feb. Going to be at Ford Field anyway so its not that much further. I'll find out all that I can when down there and do a follow up on it. I tired calling the other day with some questions but the agent I got could barely speak english. It sounds like as long as you are not returning with any goods purchased in Canada, (a Customs issue) you are free to enter back in the United States without a call or stop in. Just that you better have the paperwork if/when you get stopped. You would think there should be an 800 number to call and say, "hey, I'm baaaaaaaaack."
See less See more
If you don't get a Canpass, it is optional, you call on the "call in" phones at the Canadian Marinas when you get there and they give you the confirmation number then.
What is the contact info for getting a Canpass? How much is it?

here is the url you need for all your questions on the CanPass program;

The address you want to send the form to is:
CANPASS Processing Centre
P.O. Box 126, Station Main
Niagara Falls ON L2E 6T1
Telephone: (905) 371-1477 or 1-800-842-7647

It cost $25.00 Canadian and you can send check, money order, cash or bill it to a credit card.

The form you need to fill out can be found in .pdf format at:

Send it to the address above with copies of everyone's birth certificate. By everyone, I mean your self and all legal dependents.
CanPass definition of dependent is:
* unmarried child under 18 years of age, who resides at the same address;
* unmarried child, regardless of age, who is studying full time and who normally resides at the same address; or
* unmarried handicapped persons, regardless of residence, for which the applicant/spouse is the parent or legal guardian.

As you can see the instructins state "1. Call the CCRA at 1-888-CANPASS up to four hours before arriving in Canada from the U.S." says nothing about from a land line, anywhere.

Hope this helps you and anyone else looking into this.
See less See more
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Jan 25 2003, 01:31 AM)Zesty,

here is the url you need for all your questions on the CanPass program
PyrateJim - Thanks! This might be helpful when going to Crystal Bay!!
Pyrate. Go here and read this link.


When you arrive in Canada, the operator of your vessel has to report to a customs officer by telephone through a vessel-reporting station. The officer will need details of the voyage, cargo, and passengers. Some stations have customs officers on duty during the boating season, while other stations use a telephone reporting system. You do not have to report to customs when you leave unless you reported articles on Form E29B, Temporary Admission Permit, when you arrived, or you are exporting goods that need to be documented (e.g., under export permits).

Mentions nothing of needing a CanPass because you don't. The "Vessel Reporting Stations" are normal payphones, with blue signs on top of them with a 1-800 number, that are at most of the Canadian Marinas. The only good paying $25 for Canpass does you is that instead of calling when you get where you are going you can call 4 hours ahead of time. Nothing more.
See less See more
Ryan, I agree with you. A CanPass is not absolutely needed to visit Canada by pleasure boat. Even on the first link I supplied about the Canpass, there is a section that states:

How do you report if you don't have a CANPASS permit?

Follow these steps:

1. Upon arrival into Canada, proceed to a designated telephone reporting station.

2. Contact the CCRA by calling 1-888-CANPASS.

3. Provide the following information: full name, date of birth, and citizenship for each person on board. For travellers who are not returning residents, provide the purpose and length of stay in Canada or for returning residents, provide length of absence, passport and visa details, if applicable.

4. Declare all personal goods being imported, including firearms and weapons. If duties and taxes are payable, provide customs with your VISA or MasterCard number and expiry date.

5. The customs officer will advise you whether you are free to leave the area and enter Canada, or if you have to wait for a customs and/or immigration officer to complete documents or conduct an examination.

6. At the conclusion of the customs process, you will receive a report number for your records, as proof of your reporting.

We will carry out on-site verifications and examinations to ensure compliance with the law.

This also pertains if you have a CanPass, but you have guests on your boat that are not listed on your original application. You then assume the position that there is none. Having a CanPass allows you to call up to 4 hours instead of after arrival, and I am willing to bet, because they have all your info already on file, that you get"processed" a bit faster and the inspections are hit and miss instead of a regular basis.

Personally, I am getting one just to help smooth out and perhaps expedite the going into Canada by boat for me and my family.
See less See more
Arn't you supposed to go and check in even if you are going to anchor in Canadian waters? If so, I would see the CanPass being useful for this, so you don't have to go ashore, then to your anchorage .......?
As you can see the instructins state "1. Call the CCRA at 1-888-CANPASS up to four hours before arriving in Canada from the U.S." says nothing about from a land line, anywhere.

If you know that Canpass isn't necesary and that you can call in why did you post the above then?

You aren't anymore likely to get inspected by Canada with or without it. The first time you go to Canada without the Canpass the phone call takes about 5 minutes because they take down all the information about your boat and where you and who you are with live. After that the phone call only takes about 1 minute each time because they have all your information you gave them on your first trip. We went to Canada several times last summer minus Canpass and were never inspected. Most of our trips over there were with a group of other boats and I don't believe that any of them had Canpass either. No one was ever inspected. Not having Canpass doesn't make you any more likely to get inspected.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.