Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am a lifetime fisherman recently hooked on musky fishing, considering my lines have been broken so many times and I am for the most part a CPR fisherman I figured the transition to be an easy one. I have all the tools needed to start and have spent some time on Lake Ovid, Thornapple lake and other inland lakes that have been stocked but would like to start fishing in the Anchorbay area. I have a 16 month old girl and luckily enough I still have a job so I do not get an immense amount of time to fish. I work 3rd shift and I am going to try to hit the lake this Wed/Thursday morning and could use a little help on General locations to start. I will probably use Deckers launch. I am not looking for secret locations or anything like that just a place to start, I will do the time and earn the fight over the next several years it's just a darn big lake..... Thanks to all who respond and good luck to all!

·
Registered
206 Posts
First off - WELCOME.

I think that a lot people have been fishing near the Salt River. Just check temp there has been a lot of posts of a great deal of temp differences out there right now. I am taking off a half day on Wednesday and will be launching out of Metro or SANG.

How far are those other lakes (Lake Ovid, Thornapple lake) from the metro area?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Welcome

For casting I would recommend going out between Selfridge ANG and salt river as a great place to start. There are lots of great weed beds for casting between that entire area. I would use the launch at Selfridge it will put u right into a great area without having to burn a lot of gas going across the lake. Good luck out there.

·
Vendor
539 Posts
This time of year Id say Selfridge area as well. Although Selfridge gets a ton of musky casting pressure. Id even put in at the Crocker or 9 mile launchs and fish near there. I fish by Deckers but latter in the summer when the water temps heat up. If I was to fish Deckers now it would be jigging the channel. Theres alot more prime musky casting areas than just anchor bay.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(BrokenWing @ Jun 14 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>First off - WELCOME.

I think that a lot people have been fishing near the Salt River. Just check temp there has been a lot of posts of a great deal of temp differences out there right now. I am taking off a half day on Wednesday and will be launching out of Metro or SANG.

How far are those other lakes (Lake Ovid, Thornapple lake) from the metro area?

Thornapple is southwest of Lansing approx. 30 miles, there is an boat launch with no dock open 24 hrs on the southeast side of the lake off of Thornapple lake rd was hard for me to get info on it but I found it. Had one HUGE musky follow a rainbrow trout plastic 6in, and one slam into the boat chasing a bucktail," fast reeled the last 10 ft and did not realize I had a follow", caught one giant pike about 41 in on same lure could not get pic the fish was nuts. Also got to see a musky trying to pull down a full size swan guys on the lake say they see it often there are some monster fish out there but lots of boats, I am going to head there in the fall. Lake Ovid is in sleepy Hollow park in Clinton county it is slightly north of Flint and west about 35 miles, they just started planting them in the last 10 yrs or so. Google michigans best bet for Musky and you will find a lot more details. Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(muskie_caster @ Jun 15 2009, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This time of year Id say Selfridge area as well. Although Selfridge gets a ton of musky casting pressure. Id even put in at the Crocker or 9 mile launchs and fish near there. I fish by Deckers but latter in the summer when the water temps heat up. If I was to fish Deckers now it would be jigging the channel. Theres alot more prime musky casting areas than just anchor bay.

Thank you very much I will be changing my launch area, if I have any luck I will try and post pics but I will be alone so it is sometimes difficult to take pic and I dont want to hurt the fish. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(AlexG @ Jun 14 2009, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome

For casting I would recommend going out between Selfridge ANG and salt river as a great place to start. There are lots of great weed beds for casting between that entire area. I would use the launch at Selfridge it will put u right into a great area without having to burn a lot of gas going across the lake. Good luck out there.

It seems to be SANG is the place to go, thanks for the reply hopefully the musky gods will be smiling, got a nasty weather pattern coming and I am hoping/betting a vacation day that the fish will be feisty. Thank you....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts