Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to boating so bare with me!
Have a light aluminum 16' boat and was trying to simply anchor last night but no go. What is the trick should I have 2 anchors front/back? Specific type? Thanks

·
Registered
790 Posts
No trick here, a danforth syle anchor works well in both river and lake situations. I use one on my 16' Lund that is rated for a 24' boat. You need only one and always anchor from the bow for saftey considerations and don't forget to pay out the proper amout of line. 7x the depth for calm water and 10x the depth for rough water and in current.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The anchor style is really helpful, but confused on the amout of line when you said "don't forget to pay out the proper amout of line. 7x the depth for calm water and 10x the depth for rough water and in current"? Thanks

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
The only time we use two anchors is if we're in a crowded anchorage and everyone else has two out. Otherwise, the boats will "swing" with the wind. We also use two anchors when we're off Seaway Island and the freighters go by.

Ditto what Scubajay says. Probably the one thing that sets a new boater apart from the seasoned veterans is tying the anchor line right after the anchor touches the bottom. You want to pay out the right amount of line depending on the depth of the water, the weather/wind conditions and the size of the boat.

This is covered in the US Power Squadron safe boating course. After you take the class and get a certificate, you usually get a break on boat insurance.

~Christine

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Having about 4' of chain to start the anchor line helps keep the teeh of a Danforth Anchor down so they bite. Don't try to "set" the achor untill you've paid out the proper amount of line.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
These basic instructions are part of a boaters safety course. Look into it, you wont regret it.

Educate yourself to save your life.

Mini

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dave...if you want to take a boating safety course let me know, I'll go with you. I could use a refresher. It's been about 7 years now, I'm gettin rusty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I like to use very large danforth style with a pretty heavy 4 ft chain on the front of it as well. If you are unfamiliar with danforth here is a link to a picture. http://www.boatingsidekicks.com/TEACH/danforth.htm

I have an 18ft Ranger Bass Boat and I can hold bottom in some pretty rough water without letting out a ton of anchor rope. I usually keep A LOT of anchor rope on that anchor off the front of the boat and I keep a smaller "Navy" style anchor with a shorter rope in the back just incase people start crowding around too close. I don't use the anchor in the back to hold bottom per say, I just use it to keep the back of the boat from moving side to side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts