Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
The Detroit Pistons home opener tonight.

Well Kid Rock performed, and the National Anthem
WAS NOT SUNG !

What was sung was America the beautiful......grant it, a nice song and all for our country.......BUT.....

Isn't it customary that the national anthem to be sung at the beggining of all sporting events since,.......forever?

What are your opinions, is this good !?

So why have they stopped this singing of the national anthem at the pistons games ?

Kinda bummed about this........just nature to admire our national anthem.....soon our flag will be removed too

G

·
I don't know why they do that. I noticed after 9-11 sometimes they would sing both, but I don't think they should sing anything but the National Anthem before a game.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I like them both, but I think they should change the national anthem to America The Beautiful. It's more reflective of what our country is and the pride every American should feel for it.

The Star Spangled Banner seems to be a bit outdated now and is more about aggressiveness.

Just my opinion and we all know what those have in common with a$$holes.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
You know what really pissed me off was during the world series they had Yani play the Anthem on the keyboard with noone singing.....what hell is that? I could teach my 4 year old nice to play it on her keyboard.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
RERUN, BILL272, I HEAR YA !
THE NATIONAL ANTHEM, AND ONLY THE NATIONAL ANTHEM, SHOULD BE SUNG AT THE BEGINNING OF SPORTING EVENTS.

UNLESS IT IS A DUAL-COUNTRY GAME....
EX: REDWINGS vs MAPLE LEAFS, THEN BOTH ARE TO BE SUNG AS THEY ARE.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
That's funny, "Straight Outta Compton" always runs through my head everytime I see a basketball game...

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I agree, went to the Pistons game last night and from our suite we saw Kid Rock walk out onto the floor. I thought for sure he was going to start belting out the National Anthem...instead we could barely hear him and it was very short. Then for a moment I thought for sure he was going to be coming back out to start jamming. I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
no good, the anthem should be sung in my opinion.

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE(samson @ Oct 29 2003, 08:30 PM)I like them both, but I think they should change the national anthem to America The Beautiful. It's more reflective of what our country is and the pride every American should feel for it.

The Star Spangled Banner seems to be a bit outdated now and is more about aggressiveness.

WTF?
I'm with you Eddie - Total BS in not singing the National Anthem. If people want to hear something pretty and cute they can do it in the car on the way in!

And all along I thought that the rockets red glare and bombs burstig in air was a defensive tactic.
It was, after all, the British that were attacking. God forigve us if at anytime we are agressive.

The Star Spangled Banner may be more "militaristic" but it also is far more a reminder of what we stand for and where we came from. Do doubt if they were switched there would be plenty 'o commentary.

----------------------------------------------------------
National Anthem of the United States of America
Words by Francis Scott Key

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say, does that Star-Spangled Banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave

On the shore, dimly seen thro' the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream;
'Tis the Star-Spangled Banner, O long may it wave

Oh, thus be it ever when free men shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto, "In God is our trust"
And the Star-Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave
America the Beautiful by Katharine Lee Bates

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern impassioned - stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for heroes proved In liberating strife.
Who more than self the country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for halcyon skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the enameled plain!
America! America!
Till souls wax fair as earth and air
And music-hearted sea!

O beautiful for pilgrims feet,
Whose stern impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America ! America !
Till paths be wrought through
wilds of thought
By pilgrim foot and knee!

O beautiful for glory-tale
Of liberating strife
When once and twice,
for man's avail
Men lavished precious life !
America! America!
Till selfish gain no longer stain
The banner of the free!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
Till nobler men keep once again
Thy whiter jubilee!

·
Registered
419 Posts
QUOTE(BigDaddy @ Oct 30 2003, 12:14 PM)QUOTE(samson @ Oct 29 2003, 08:30 PM) I like them both, but I think they should change the national anthem to America The Beautiful. It's more reflective of what our country is and the pride every American should feel for it.

WTF?
I'm with you Eddie - Total BS in not singing the National Anthem. If people want to hear something pretty and cute they can do it in the car on the way in!

And all along I thought that the rockets red glare and bombs burstig in air was a defensive tactic.
It was, after all, the British that were attacking. God forigve us if at anytime we are agressive.

The Star Spangled Banner may be more "militaristic" but it also is far more a reminder of what we stand for and where we came from. Do doubt if they were switched there would be plenty 'o commentary.

That is exactly what I was thinking, but I did not want to attack anyones opinion. How is it outdated? Because it is almost 200 years old and demonstrates what we had to go through to be a great independent nation?

I think that it should be sang before any game, and if an organization wants to have a rendition of America, the Beautiful to supplement it, so be it - but don't take away the tradition of the SBB.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
QUOTEBigDaddy Posted: Oct 30 2003, 11:14 AM

And all along I thought that the rockets red glare and bombs burstig in air was a defensive tactic. It was, after all, the British that were attacking. God forigve us if at anytime we are agressive.

Militaristic is a much better term to use the aggressive. It's more along the lines of what I meant.

Doesn't this also remind us of what was fought for????

excerpt from America the Beautiful:

O beautiful for heroes proved In liberating strife.
Who more than self the country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
The only opinion I have is at least he didn't sing....
I'm in it to win like Yzerman...can drink about 15 Heinkeins.......puffin the winston, drinking the 4 0....

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
They should always play the National Anthem. Thats B.S. People should stand, take their hats off in honor of the people who have fought and died for our peace and freedom, as well as the peace and freedom of many other nations. They should also put their hand on their heart as a sign of love for the greatest nation in the world. If you cant do that much for a country that has done so much for you, you should pack up and go move next to Sting, Madona and that Flake Skin Head O Conner.

G.B.A.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Oct 30 2003, 01:37 PM)In addition...it ticks me off they don't televise the National anthem when tuning into a game on TV
Yea, I know. I think I only catch the Anthem being shown on the sporting events that are in the playoffs. Other than that, not shown.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
still somewhat bothered, puzzled why the national anthem was not sung...

good post Bigdaddy
garydebs

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
The national anthem should most definatly be sung at every sporting event ...period. It also should not be fu%$ed with at all. I am getting sick and tired of people wanting to change traditions (no offense samson) When I here talk of taking "one nation under God" out of the pledge it makes my blood boil. I think if all of the people that like the pledge and the national anthem and nativity scenes at the local city hall would complain as loud as the waco minority that does all the complaining, things might be a little less [email protected]@D up in this contry.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Not a flag waver at all but the National Anthem or nothing somethings require no improvement. Anyone says different can "s--k it" in the words of Kid Rock.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(traveler @ Oct 30 2003, 03:51 PM)Not a flag waver at all but the National Anthem or nothing somethings require no improvement. Anyone says different can "s--k it" in the words of Kid Rock.
THEIGH KAN KISS MY BLAQUE A$$

OOOOPS, I AM PASTEL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts