Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Wonder what the Canadian open will do. They have used that week for the last 2 years I believe.

"Northern Division competition begins July 6-9 on the Detroit River in Detroit."

·
Registered
28 Posts
It will be interesting to see what BASS comes up with for a weekend series (rumor). If they are smart, they will have a better payback percentage than BFL. Even though the BFL is paying back more money, it is still around 70%. With the $50 increase in entry fees for the boater they are taking in $10,000 (based on 200 boats) and only paying back $6,150 of it. Also, to me FLW Outdoors does not seemed concerned with other activities that conflict with their tournaments (i.e. the Grand River Tx and Grand Haven's Coast Guard fest.) It should be an interesting year next year.

·
Registered
216 Posts
BFL - "the tournament series for the average weekend angler". It looks like they are actually trying to attract the bigger names with the bigger entry fees/payouts. I predict the numbers for the michigan BFL to go down with this increase.

I know the real reason is that FLWOutdoors gets a % of all entry fees and if they increase entry fees, they make more $$$$. I think it could backfire on them if the participation numbers drop.

I personally think that "the average weekend angler" does not(or should not) go for the biggest payouts. They already have an income to pay boat payments and hotel costs so they are fishing for recognition for a possible future and to learn more about fishing while cashing a check is a bonus and should help your personal pride more than your savings account. Increasing entry fees will move the BFL away from what it was started for - The average weekend angler!

If you can't tell - I think it is a bad idea. Come on BASS, it's your time!

·
Registered
289 Posts
"I know the real reason is that FLWOutdoors gets a % of all entry fees and if they increase entry fees, they make more $$$$. I think it could backfire on them if the participation numbers drop."

Sorta like the Michigan Sin-Tax mentality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts