Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
my buddy gave me a kicker motor and he said it ran fine until he ran bad gas through it

i have changed the plug put new gas in it sprayed starter fluid in it checked for spark took the carb of and sprayed it out with carb cleaner and i have checked for compression

it is a 7.5 game fisher any help would be greatly appriciated

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
is it kickin over at all? i was having some trouble with mine awhile back. theres a little pin in the carb that floats. well the pin was stuck and my motor was spittin gas out the side of the carb. it would spit and sputter but wouldn't go for crap. after tearing the carb off, i started examining it, and happened to notice the pin, after cleaning that out, i havent had any problems. its a ward 7hp sea king, made by clinton. the guy i bought it from said all it needs is the points cleaned. well i never cleaned them, and that pin was the only problem ive had. i guess i should say, "SO FAR"

best of luck steve

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the float valve was free it doesnt even atempt to fire it has the gas tank built into the motor i checked the feed lines from the tank to the carb and they was free flowing

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
What's he mean by "bad gas?" Straight gas? If that's the case, it may be seized.

If it's just "bad" like stale gas that's separated, but had oil, it could be a carb issue. But if it was bad enough to have a ton of water in it and not fuel/water separator, he may have ruined the motor like that as well.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
take some real fine sandpaper to the points ,or fold up a dollar bill and sand them with that.If motor has been sitting for a while points could be corroded. it happens to my 6 horse johnson often

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(EagleLarry @ Aug 15 2009, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>take some real fine sandpaper to the points ,or fold up a dollar bill and sand them with that.If motor has been sitting for a while points could be corroded. it happens to my 6 horse johnson often

i have it at my shop so tommorrow i am going to try the pionts it does have spark but it maybe a little weak the motor isnt seized by bad gas he ment it was old

·
Registered
159 Posts
Check compression first, If it is low don't bother putting any money in it. Check the spark by pulling the plugs out an reconnect them to the wires. Ground the plug to the motor and pull the starter. If you can't see spark, you know its the ignition, power pack, coils, points it ti has them. If you have spark then check to see that it is getting fuel, new gas, make sure the air valve is open and not crerating a vacuum, carb, fuel pump, filter. Good luck, I know I just spent 3 days on mine. It ended up being the fuel pump.

P.s. you can borrowed a compression guage from Murry's auto
Good luck.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Berroughs @ Aug 16 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Check compression first, If it is low don't bother putting any money in it. Check the spark by pulling the plugs out an reconnect them to the wires. Ground the plug to the motor and pull the starter. If you can't see spark, you know its the ignition, power pack, coils, points it ti has them. If you have spark then check to see that it is getting fuel, new gas, make sure the air valve is open and not crerating a vacuum, carb, fuel pump, filter. Good luck, I know I just spent 3 days on mine. It ended up being the fuel pump.

P.s. you can borrowed a compression guage from Murry's auto
Good luck.

about what should the compression be it will blow my finger off the hole it has spark and i can spray starter fluid directly in the plug whole and the carb and it still wont start

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm no pro but I think compresion should be near 90 or higher, you could problby get by near 90, but anything less than 80 would be rough. I know 60 is worthless. Seems like it isn't getting fuel or air. Hows the filter? maybe you have a clog. It has a tank on top? Sediment can build over the years in those tanks. You can try disconnecting the fuel line from the carb, pull the starter and see if gas is being pumped into the carb. Lastly be careful with that starting fluid, with no lubrication it can score the cylinder walls. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING

GL STEVE, another great thing about this site, hell, even ill say thanks for that info from berroughs.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep i owe him saved me alot of work i was being lazy and just put my finger over the hole to see if it would blow it of thanx to him i put a gage on and ding ding ding

·
Registered
159 Posts
One last thing to add, since you werre using starting fluid the cyclinders could by dry, You can pour a teaspoon or 2 or oil in the cyclinder and try to check the compression again but 50 is very low for a 2 stroke. Try cranking over and retest the compression. A rise in the compression indicates worn rings. No change indicates valves are not closing properly.
Also, maybe a bad gasket? You could try new rings. I'm interested how it come out?

Here's some good info pages I used.
http://www3.telus.net/findNchoose/smallenginerepair.html
http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Ramblings.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.