Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I am fishing with a minor (9 year old) I assume my possession limit of fish is only what I can keep and does not include the minor correct?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
It's in the guide on page 37 under Possession limits. A person not yet 17 years of age is entitled to a possession limit even though they are not required to have a license.

So....your child can keep and limit, and so can you.

This is not true in Canada however, where a limit goes for each license, and thus the kid can't keep anything unless you buy them a license.

·
Registered
13 Posts
a minor can fish as if he has a license, meaning he can have a limit, the only time a dnr officer will say something is when you are fishing for salmon, than it is expected you pay the $2 for an all species license for a minor.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Where does it say that in the guide book?

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(DoubleDLadie @ Jun 28 2009, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>a minor can fish as if he has a license, meaning he can have a limit, the only time a dnr officer will say something is when you are fishing for salmon, than it is expected you pay the $2 for an all species license for a minor.
Never heard that before, do you have a source?

·
Registered
13 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 28 2009, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DoubleDLadie @ Jun 28 2009, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>a minor can fish as if he has a license, meaning he can have a limit, the only time a dnr officer will say something is when you are fishing for salmon, than it is expected you pay the $2 for an all species license for a minor.
Never heard that before, do you have a source?

if you go on a salmon charter, first thing the captain says is the kids fish goes against your limit if no all species license, and that the dnr is always checking for it, salmon management is handled differently than the other fish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i should add that the salmon rules can change by the day, no matter what the rule book says, certain ports are manned full time by the dnr and they tell you the rule changes for that area as they happen.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Interesting. In a few years when my girl is old enough to reel in a salmon, I'll check into it further. Thanks for the tip though.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
QUOTE(DoubleDLadie @ Jun 28 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i should add that the salmon rules can change by the day, no matter what the rule book says, certain ports are manned full time by the dnr and they tell you the rule changes for that area as they happen.

I'm sorry but this is hogwash. Salmon management rules do not "change by the day" They are slow and deliberate. I was kept well informed on the changes this year to limits on big lake salmonids by peope at the meetings. No where was it discussed that children under 17 were required to buy a voluntary license to keep a limit. If this was true, it would by definition cease to be voluntary. Any changes would be immediatley available on the MDNR website. None exists.

Whatever charter you went on fed you a line to limit the amount of fish that needed to be caught that day to save gas money.

Lastly I have been at 8 Lk Mi ports normally at the peak of the salmon fishing for that particular port area and none of them have a full time DNR officer or biologist at them. Occasioanlly there are officers checking catches or biologists asking for samples.

Don't mean to jump all over your post but this sort of misinformation could cause someone here undue stress when choosing to visit our beautiful big lake ports

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
QUOTE(islander @ Jun 28 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DoubleDLadie @ Jun 28 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i should add that the salmon rules can change by the day, no matter what the rule book says, certain ports are manned full time by the dnr and they tell you the rule changes for that area as they happen.

I'm sorry but this is hogwash. Salmon management rules do not "change by the day" They are slow and deliberate. I was kept well informed on the changes this year to limits on big lake salmonids by peope at the meetings. No where was it discussed that children under 17 were required to buy a voluntary license to keep a limit. If this was true, it would by definition cease to be voluntary. Any changes would be immediatley available on the MDNR website. None exists.

Whatever charter you went on fed you a line to limit the amount of fish that needed to be caught that day to save gas money.

Lastly I have been at 8 Lk Mi ports normally at the peak of the salmon fishing for that particular port area and none of them have a full time DNR officer or biologist at them. Occasioanlly there are officers checking catches or biologists asking for samples.

Don't mean to jump all over your post but this sort of misinformation could cause someone here undue stress when choosing to visit our beautiful big lake ports

Islander, you are 100% correct. Any changes in game laws have to be printed and have an inaffect date posted with them as well.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
1,435 Posts
if u cant keep the limit in canada can u fish the rods though my stepson is 7

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
A minor can fish in canada w/o a license, but if they catch a fish that you wish to keep, it goes against your daily/possession limit unless you buy him/her a license.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts