Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I inherited a '77 Century Raven 180 (17') with the original '77 Johnson outboard. My problem is that I have always used and owned Mercury type engines in the past that "pee" and I am not sure if there is enough water "coughing" from my old Johnson. When I run her, I can place both my hands on the engine and although it's warm it's not too hot to make me take my hands off. Any of you have old Johnson engines that can give me some idea of how much water should be coughing out of the two ports? I am just wondering if I should be putting a new impeller in or not.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I think you would be wise to install a new impeller, than you won't be in the world of wonder mode for starters. Also when was it changed last? And won't you feel better out there knowing you'll make it back? So the old saying a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure applies to that for sure.

h2o<---says treat her to new plugs also, and check all hose's for cracks. Change the dope, and the better it's maintained the longer that baby will perform for you. Excellent boat and motor you have congrad's. New plug wire's might be in order also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, H20! I already bought the plugs and I changed the wires last year. I may just take your advice on the impeller this year. However, it would be great to have some idea of what would be a normal spray coming from the exhaust holes. My engine is a '77 Johnson 85hp outboard. Have you or anyone else here had experience with this type?
I love my little Raven 180 and want to keep her going for some heavy perch and walleye action this year!

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
All i had was a 25 hp Johnson and it just had a steady stream of water discharging from it. I would remember how it was and than definately change the impeller and see if there's a difference. Also when you purchase the impeller ask them. I wish i knew more but it's very important to be getting enough water through the motor for proper cooling for sure. Make sure the intake screen is clean also ask when you get the impeller about the intake.

h2o<-- do change the impeller no dought..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good advice, H20. Thanks.
How difficult is it to replace the impeller? How about the fuel pump? Are these things I may be able to do myself or should I take it in to have it done by a pro?
The impeller itself runs about 30 bucks but the labor is around 140, ouch.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I'm really not sure on the tecnical aspects of your project, But it would not seem that hard. Off and on you should research it before you tackle it. Maybe someone else on this board can help. I often fix things myself, but somethings it's just not worth it as if you don't know what your doing you can cause problems that can become expensive for sure. So don't complicate matters for you protection and ask where you buy the part how to do it and if you feel confident than go for it. Ask things like what might surprise me doing this and go from there. Wish i could of been more help. Just do it right and you'll feel confident on the water.

h2o<---says get a manual for your baby.

·
Registered
75 Posts
give jeffry a call at siebeneck marine repair 586-415-6604 after 6pm
he does all my outboard motor repairs..
works on johnson/evinrude, chrysler,mariner, force, some mercurys.. from antiques to modern motors...
he can either fix it for you or tell ya what you need to do...
tell him captstevo sent ya..

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Well, as I posted in another thread on this subject, the impeller in my Merc. had not been changed since I bought it. It is a 1994 125 hp model. Carpfisher and I pulled the lower unit and pulled the impeller out and low and behold the impeller was in perfect condition. The blades looked and felt exactly like the new one I bought.

The only explanation we could come up with is that while using the engine in LSC primarily where the water is pretty clean, the incident of getting into sand and grit is low, if you are careful where you motor of course. Therefore the wear and tear on the impeller should be minimal. Water cleanliness has a big impact on how well the impeller holds up over time. But, I am not sorry for having changed it out. The comfort of now knowing the condition is worth the effort and cost.

But, you know what the real lesson is? I don't use my boat enough! And that means that I don't FISH ENOUGH!
I have got to do something about that this summer.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts