Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will start with the report.... Friday night had the wife and kids out. We fished for about 2 hours and bagged 12 walleye, some white bass and sheephead north of A can. All fish caught on stinger spoons on size 0 dipseys fished near the bottom, only ran 4 rods and let the kids reel in all the fish.

Saturday had to wait out the storms and then the winds started. Got tired of looking for the wind to die off and just said screw it and went fishing. Ran out about 7 miles to the gravel pit and proceeded to catch a limit of jumbos with the wife. Used minnows and spreaders fished right on the bottom. Had numerous 11-12 inch fish with the biggest going 13. All the perch were burping up fish flies on the way up! Had to do a little sorting and caught about 70 to get the 50 but overall good quality.

Sunday, left the dock at 5 am to fish a little walleye tournament out of Anchor Point Marina. Made the run NE of the Turnaround bouy and had lines in the water just after 6 am. Ran four dipseys and four planer rods with jets, spoons and harnesses. Harnesses were slow and we only took 2 fish on them so made a complete change over to spoons. Ended up with 18 keepers, 4 throwbacks and 4 lost fish by 11 am. Our 5 biggest fish went just under 14 pounds and we took third place. The 2 teams ahead of us trailered out to Catawba and went out to the canadian border! Winning team weighed in 5 fish at 18.8 pounds.

So now my musky question to those of you who don't care about the walleye and perch report... I heard of three different guys on the radio reporting catching musky on Sunday. Every time out this year I hear of 1-2 musky being caught on the radio. Most are smaller fish from 24-36 inches but it seems like this year I am hearing more and more musky being caught. Last year I think I only heard of a couple being caught all year and my buddy got one out by west sister 2 years ago. My question is if anyone thinks there will be a musky fishery down there in the future?? Seems like the fish would grow pretty darn big with the amount of forage out there. Does anyone ever target them out there? Maybe this is another example of the lake changing like St. Clair has. Nothing against musky, but I like Erie the way it is right now......

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Way to go Casey!!!

I'm sure people target them, but it's not talked about much. The locals probably prefer it that way LOL. Just because it's not discussed, doesn't mean it's not popular.

Look at it this way.
Lake Huron is a Lake Trout/Salmon fishery
Lake St Clair is known for Muskie and Bass
Lake Erie is known for Walleye (US) and Steelhead & Perch (Canada)
Lake Michigan is Salmon, Steelie and Browns

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Congrats on 3rd place man!!!!!!! That is awesome, and only 3lbs away from first!!! GREAT JOB!! Sounds like Erie is doing it's typical thing, producing numbers in the right spots.

I can only assume you are just hearing more Musky being reported on the radio and that we are not having an invasion into the West end of the lake. My only guess would be that the Musky population is just blowing up everywhere the VHS was affecting. Just like LSC, the babies are showing up everywhere I bet. We also had a cooler start this year, so maybe the temps are still suitable for some of the mid-sized ski's on the West end. I really have no idea though. I've also always wondered about the Musky fishery on the West end....hell, I figured it would be stacked with decent ski's and could be easily targeted all year...but this is the first time I've heard of a report of ski's being caught in a 'consistant' maner. I think we'd just have to give it a few more years to see if we start catching consistant 40"+ in these area's.

Again, great job out on the E

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
They catch some big fish over in the Eastern Basin already. I would not be surprised to hear of some big fish in the future in the Western Basin.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Jul 13 2009, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They catch some big fish over in the Eastern Basin already. I would not be surprised to hear of some big fish in the future in the Western Basin.

They are on the East side for a reason though and typically shy away from the Western side....You'll get big fish on the WEST side in the Spring and maybe late Fall, but it typically should only contain smaller musky that can handle the tad warmer temps then the big dogs prefer.

·
Registered
525 Posts
i have caught muskies off of point pellee erie, and in colchestor ontario. they are in erie but not numbers.. skies love ambush and theres very little structure or weedbeds to hunt from. commercial netters get some also.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Good going on the tournament!

I've read that the muskies and pike are starting to come back to Lake Erie near the Detroit and Huron Rivers as the water has been clearing and the weeds are returning.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(C.Smitty @ Jul 13 2009, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sweet report kayceedee
please tell me you got perch pics to post???

Sorry, no pics.... as usual the camera got left at home. I am terrible with pictures. What I can tell you is that we dropped them off to be scaled and filleted and when we dropped them off we had just over 13 pounds. Here is the only pic I got, this is my daughter with the first walleye she got on Friday afternoon. I just set out 4 dipseys that day, drove the boat and had her setting lines and reeling in fish. She did pretty good once she got the hang of how the dipseys worked.

Water Boat Sky Vertebrate Shorts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Jul 14 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great report Casey. Glad to hear you got the kids to work and it paid off. Congrats on the 3rd too. That must've been a blast.

Kids had a lot of fun! It makes a dad proud when his lirttle girls starts working rods on her own!
Ranks right up there with when she took her first steps.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(Canuck @ Jul 14 2009, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well done Casey! Daughter looks like a happy fisherman. She has a great mentor.

Thanks Rick! We were just talking the other day about the fish she has caught so far. She has a nine pound walleye under her belt that she caught in Erieau, she has caught steelhead in Lake MI and Erieau, salmon, lakers, catfish, perch and about every other pan fish, she has even caught a few musky with the biggest at around 45 inches. of course these have all been fish that she just reeled in, but not to shabby for a kid who just turned 9! I wish I had seen that many fish when I was her age.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
QUOTE(kayceedee @ Jul 14 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Canuck @ Jul 14 2009, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well done Casey! Daughter looks like a happy fisherman. She has a great mentor.

Thanks Rick! We were just talking the other day about the fish she has caught so far. She has a nine pound walleye under her belt that she caught in Erieau, she has caught steelhead in Lake MI and Erieau, salmon, lakers, catfish, perch and about every other pan fish, she has even caught a few musky with the biggest at around 45 inches. of course these have all been fish that she just reeled in, but not to shabby for a kid who just turned 9! I wish I had seen that many fish when I was her age.

Gotta get her to scrub that deck
Great pic!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts