Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
The original antenna mount on my Liberator is on the stern. Over labor day weekend, and a friend who was a bit overserved lost his balance and fell off the boat while anchored and grabbed the antenna and broke it. The original mount was a lift-and-lay style. So I have been shopping around for antennas, and I think I want to get an 8' antenna and mount it next to the helm. How hard is it to install a new mount? I would be weary to drill into the fiberglass, so my other option would to have someone do it. Does anyone know how much it would cost to have a mount installed? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I ust put a new one on boat, really wasn't a big deal. The only trick you need to know about drilling into fiberglass is to start out with a small pilot hole. Starting with a larger, say 1/4" bit can lead to cracks/crazing around the hole.

Mine is positioned next to the helm, and I stow it in its' forward position lying next to my bow rail. This allows me to bend it slightly tuck it under and inside the rail and then I put a velcro wrap around the antenna and rail to keep secure. Dunno if it will work for you, but stowing it is a good thing to keep in mind when you position the mount.

G

·
loud,

I originally had the 8' antenna. Then I switched to the Shakespeare 3'. Works just as good. And looks much better with the low profile on our go fast's. Check it out!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Convincor, I'm sure it works just fine. But VHF range is line of site from the tip of the antenna. Here's the formula for determining the range of your VHF: Range in miles = sq root of the height of the tip of the antenna above water X 1.42

This is the range of just your VHF. You need to also calculate the range of the boat that you wanna talk to, add the numbers together to get the actual maximum distance between the boats.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Loud,
You've probably already taken care of this but, I've got one tip on connecting the cable. They make a solderless connector that clamps on / screws into the end of the cable. This eliminates the need for solder. I switched antennas 2 seasons ago and it works great! I've got the 8'er.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Karl/Loud,

It's called a PL 259 connector. Usually, they tell you on the back of the packaging what lengths to cut the cable to. Get'm at any Radio Shack or West Marine. Cost is $2.49 for . I know, as I just bought 2.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts