Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We must not have any Dish subscribers. Here's what happened;

EchoStar Communications Corp. has blacked out local CBS stations owned by Viacom Inc. from Dish Network satellite television systems in Green Bay and 15 other metro areas across the country.

The blackout also includes Viacom-owned channels distributed nationwide like MTV, VH1 and Nickelodeon.

The move comes after the two companies failed to reach an agreement on a new contract for distribution of the Viacom-owned and operated channels. EchoStar, which operates the Dish Network, said in a statement that Viacom has asked for rate increases up to 40 percent over the length of the contract and demanded that Dish carry additional channels with little customer demand that EchoStar did not want to carry.

A previous contract between the two companies expired Dec. 31. A federal court order forcing Viacom to let EchoStar to continue to broadcast the channels expired at 2 a.m. central time Tuesday, when the blackout of channels began.

The blackout affects 16 local CBS stations, including WFRV-TV (Channel 5), the CBS affiliate in Green Bay. Other metropolitan areas affected include Austin, Texas; Boston; Baltimore; Chicago; Dallas-Fort Worth; Denver; Detroit; Miami-Fort Lauderdale; Minneapolis; Los Angeles; New York; Pittsburgh; Philadelphia; Salt Lake City and San Francisco.

The blackout also includes Viacom-owned national stations MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, BET, VH1, VH1 Classic, MTV2, MTV Espanol, Nick Games & Sports, Noggin and CBS-HD East and West.

Englewood, Colo.-based EchoStar said it will provide a $1 monthly credit for customers in the 16 CBS markets, and a $1 monthly credit for national customers who were receiving the national channels as part of their subscription packages.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
I have it, no MTV, MTV2, Comdey Central, VH1, nickelodean and a few others.

They will give me a $1 credit for this, WOO HOO.

Fortunatly I'm past my 1 year contract and I will tell them to shove the $1 into there assetlite system, and call Direct TV tomorrow to see what they have to offer.

They've had 2 months to renegotiate a contract, and they decided not to do it.

BTW, viacom claims that the increase amount to 6 cents per customer per month, dish network says this is not correct, bunch of BS coming from both sides.

I liked it better when I was little, FREE TV, and the only pay station was ON tv, that was broadcast latenight only on channel 20, and you could watch the squiggly lines for the skinimax movies and occasionally see a booby. AHH the good ole days......

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
We have direct tv and were thinking or making a change. Thanx for the info, I think we will stay with what we have.

G

·
No Comedy Central or Nickelodeon would cause a small riot in my house. I was considering a dish but I have too many trees in the direction of the satellite and would have to put it in the front yard. I guess we'll stick with Comcast. We did just get the HD package which was $5/mo more, but I have to say that it rocks. There's not a whole lot of HD programming out now, but what there is looks and sounds pretty amazing.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Wow, it sucks to have dish network!

·
Registered
481 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Mar 10 2004, 12:17 AM)I liked it better when I was little, FREE TV, and the only pay station was ON tv, that was broadcast latenight only on channel 20, and you could watch the squiggly lines for the skinimax movies and occasionally see a booby. AHH the good ole days......
hahaha, omg, i remember that "on" tv. at night, local programming would end and that would come on with a scrambled signal.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
They've been running stupid scrolls on all those channels telling customers to call dishnetwork...as a "cable guy" I could care less just get that dumb a$$ scroll off my screen.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This might be a little off topic, but for anyone interested in HD programs should check out
Voom

A friend of mine in NC is making the switch from cable to it very soon.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I think Dish did a dumb thing by punishing their customers. I do think that Viacom is playing the big bully, but Dish is going to lose more customers rather than eating the costs while everything gets worked out.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
this really sucks!

I'm a dish network customer.
I really only watch a few channels and CBS is one of them-
they better fix this fast or I'm going back to cable

my 17 yr old is having a cow w/o MTV

1 - 13 of 13 Posts