Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Ive never been to LSC but a buddy and I are coming up this weekend for a small club tourney. We are launching from "Harley" something or another I believe, to the south of Anchor Bay. I was just wondering if any of you locals can help us out as to where to fish and with what. I would prefer to stay out of the rivers. Ive been reading the posts but im lost as to "the mile roads" and the buoys.

Thanks for any help in advance

Indiana Bass

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
The "mile roads" are essentially the West shoreline of St. Clair. Named because your North/South location corresponds to a mile road on land. The Southern end of the mile roads would be 9 mile and the North end would be 14 mile. Anything North or South of these roads are typically called by other names (Grosse Point, Metro, Delphine, Selfridge, etc) See any lake map or road map and you will quickly see what we're talking about. Being new to the lake, this would be an great spot to start. Work the water at various depths from 5'-14' till you find what your looking for. Tubes, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, etc. Topwater bite should still be going strong as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
927 Posts
welcome to the network!

first timer on the pond? your gonna love it! even if you dont catch many fish ( which is highly unlikely ) you will still want to come back again and again. by far my favorite lake.

do as alex said, fish depths from 5' to 14'. look for some good weedbeds with open areas in or around them. these are high percentage areas. work tubes in and around the grass. to start i would use a 1/4 or 3/8 oz tube weight and you really cant go wrong with green, brown, or smoke colored tubes. fleck color doesnt matter too much. i have some good luck with purple flecks.

throw your fav jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, and topwaters. on lsc, its hard to beat the spinnerbait bite when it is on. the smallies really whack it out there. i like to burn it just under the surface as fast as i can reel that sucker in.

be careful when out there too. clair gets a lot of traffic, especially on weekends. keep one eye on your line, and the other on the water. if you fish out by buoys or the shipping channels, always be aware of what is going on.

if you decide to fish up in anchor bay, we have a military base up there called selfridge air base ( or something like that ). dont get to close or they will shoot first ask questions later
no, its not that bad, but they will let know in a hurry if you are trespassing via an angry militant with a bullhorn.

have fun, catch fish, and most of all respect our lake. she is good to us, we are good to her, ya know?!?!

one more thing. you said you are launching from harley ensign. its a big launch. the first 5 are for launching, the next 5 are for retrieving. be sure you are aware of this too. if you try pulling your boat out in one of the launching ramps, you might catch hell from an angry jet skiier or tuna baoter

madman himself

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot for the tips guys, this is by far one of the best forums ive been on and im talking about forums on anything from computers to poker.
Madman, Dont worry I treat every body of water I fish with great respect. I've heard so many great things about LSC and im sure it will live up to its reputation with your advice.

Thanks again guys

INDIANA

·
Registered
163 Posts
I used to have a friend that lived in the north east part of Indianapolis a few years back. I use to love the fishing their. No matter where you go there are a lot of small lakes 3 to 8 acres. I would fish from shore with my fly rod and hammer the bass. It was nothing to catch a 5 plus pounder.
When fishing in LSC it is not uncommon to hook into a big pike or musky. Not to long ago some one caught a 7.5 lbs bass. My son caught a 5lbs 4oz bass Sunday. GOOD LUCK AND GREAT FISHING.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You may also want to check out this link as well, there is a ton of good info here.

http://www.michiganforums.com

From there, click on warm water species, then the link for Detroit River/Lake St. Clair.

If you want fast action, try the mile roads. 8-10 feet has been best for me. I like to put one rod in the holder with a tube jig on it. Put just enough line out so that you make contact with the weeds once in a while. Tip: use a light jig if the wind is not very strong.

Then take your second rod and cast a rattle trap or a spinner bait. Most of the time, the one in the holder will catch about 60-75% of the bass. Fish here average around 2lbs.

For larger fish, try the area around Gull Island, by the Old Channel Light early in the morning, with spinner baits. You won't get as many hits, however, when you do they are normally 3-5 lbs.

If you don't know where these spots are, get yourself a St. Clair map with the GPS coordinates on it. A GPS is a must on this lake.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Today is your lucky day: follow this formula and you just might place in the tournament:::

1.) 4lb. fireline (smoke color)
2.) 1/8 oz.round head jig. ( unpainted i like best don't have to bust the paint out and there won't be a nick that might break your line.)
3.) 3 inch berkley power grubs, white, chartruse, pearl and white, shad, most colors work.
4.) get to the mile roads which is 15,14,13,12,11,10,9,mile roads look on your map west side of the pond.
5.) Get in 12-8 feet of water drift in that zone. Deeper means bigger.
6.) use spinning reels, cast that baby out there click the reel before it hits the water, this takes the slack out of your line, alot of times the fish hits right away. no slack will create a quick hook-up.
7.) slow crank as slow as possible. count down when in 10 feet count slowly to 9. give little pops now and then using your rod tip. pick up the slack line. keep doing this. Start with a white 3 in grub.
8.) Let me know how you do i get half the winnings. LOL
9.) good luck
10.) Last tip really slow it down near the boat alot like to follow watch near the boat you will see the hit...

h2o

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great tips guys, ill be out there tomorrow evening, all day friday and the tourney is Saturday and Sunday. Stop by and see me, ill either be in a burgundy/white Nitro fish/ski with a 150 Merc or a blue/pewter Ranger 177? with a 130 Yamaha on Thurs/Fri and in the Nitro on Sat/Sun. Again Thanks for all the help and hope to see ya out there.

Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts