Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions good/bad on the APBA.

I have read a few articles not in favor of the orginazation lately.

Any members in this group?

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
We are. Not sure what they have been thinking of for the past couple of years. I havent done anything for them untill they get there head out of thier a$$.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I am conserned they have done NOTHING for Michigan boat racing in a long time.

Two years ago I volunteered myself and my boat for the St. Clair race. The race and the orginizers for the patrol boat committee did a fine job. Treated us well. But the race was far from great. Only three super cats were in the race and two dropped out because of engine problems. So, there wasn't much competition. They claimed to have all these spectators showing up. Not sure of the turnout, but when we got done with our voluntary duties, only about 35 minute after the race. St. Clair was like a Ghost Town. It took less than an hour for thousands of people to clear out of town?
The boat pits were a joke. I thought it would be like a carnival atmousphere with kids and fans looking at the boats. I thought maybe they would allow people to at least be able to look into the boats cockpits, and maybe even sit in a couple of them. A total disapointment. The town of St. Clair was just not prepared at all for this event. The morning of the race was crazy. There were racers and fans lined out the door of Burger King because they were completely under-staffed. We waited 45 minutes to get breakfast. That was Burger Kings fault, I know but the whole situation was unacceptable. It was almost like the race was thrown together within a days notice and the city didn't care.
I sent a letter to one of the orginizers of the race and never heard back. I didn't write a nasty letter, but just told him basically what I just wrote here.
I don't know if it ever reached him? But , I did not get called back the next year to volunteer as a patrol boat. Not sure if one had to do with the other, but I can tell you they were certainly hurting for volunteers for the race that year.
Maybe the APBA doesn't have anything to do with what I am complaining about, but it sure didn't impress me at all. You would think that the city of St. Clair would welcome an event like this with open arms and make it a really great thing for buisness' and draw in a lot of people and money. Did not seem that way to me!

Sincerally,
A dissapointed race fan

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I almost did a few years back, as a family friend of my ex drove a Formula in factory 1. But the more I got to know how screwed up the APBA was, I decided against it. It's been a few years, and I haven't seen any difference in the way they handle things.

Convincor, I've been to the races every year since I moved to Michigan, and everyone has been unorganized from the standpoint of the fans -- both on and off the water. If it weren't for the really cool boats, it wouldn't be worth watching the races.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess there is more information to the APBA that I don't know.

I do know that there are some racers who have gone to the extent of putting a circle/slash over the APBA decals on there boats and trailers. Claiming to deal directly with race promoters themselves. Maybe that is good. I am sure it makes it a little more difficult for the small time racer with not much expeiriance!? Maybe, I don't know. It's the fans who lose out though. My opinion.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
This next year for racing should be interesting alot of drivers are unhappy with the way things are going with APBA and are trying to start there own class called offshore super series (OSS) but having trouble with securing race sites and sponsors but who knows what could happen. Because of the disagreement between APBA and alot of drivers is the reason there was two different world's events. Keywest which was APBA sanctioned and Orange Beach Alabama which was not. There are alot of rumors about what is gonna happen next year I quess we will have to wait and see.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard recently that the St. Clair race has been move to the Algonac water front.
I say, "BRAVO".

Maybe Algonac will do a better job than St. Clair? I hope.

It will be better watching from Harsens and Algonac. It will bring both the island and Algonac some money.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The St. Clair race is stilla go as well athe the metro race. They are Adding the Algonac race if the paperwork can be completed in time. Also St. Clair is getting a unlimited Hydro race this year. The 3 offshore race's are part of the silver cup series. I am not a member but my Phantom is still regestered as a APBA boat and is the last phantom able to race the f-2 class

1 - 8 of 8 Posts