Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did any one notice that the FLW has changed the date of the 2004 Championship to July 28-31 I'm told this is the same date as the Bassmasters Classic!

I got an email from a friend telling me this and it also had some quotes from some pro's saying they wouldn't be fishing the FLW next year (since I have no proof they did say that) I'm not posting the quotes

But it seems the FLW is going head to head with BASS

FLW says "FLW Outdoors, widely recognized for its family-friendly and innovative programs designed to introduce more youths to the sport of fishing, announced Friday that the dates of the 2004 Wal-Mart FLW Tour Championship and Outdoor Show have changed from Sept. 8-11 to July 28-31 in order to better serve tournament anglers, fans and families."

This years attendance was low during the first two days but some say it's has to do with a few other reason as well. Any way you look at it I don't think this will have a good effect on us as anglers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just read the quotes on bassmaster.com and it sounds like this is going to cause several of the top pro's to stop fishing the FLW tour. Here are a few from some big names; Jay Yelas, Texas: "I will not be fishing FLW next year." Davy Hite, South Carolina: "I won both the FLW Championship and the Bassmaster Classic and I can tell you that there is no comparison." "The Bassmaster Classic is THE World Championship of competitive fishing." Gary Klein, Texas: "I don't know how to put things into words. My loyalty is with BASS. It always has been and always will be."

I wonder what FLW thought the reaction would be from the top fisherman on their tour. From what I read I think John is right in saying "it's gonna get ugly". I wonder what the FLW will do if most of their big name pro's choose to fish with BASS. You lose your big names and you lose your sponsors. I wouldn't be surprised to see them change it back if this continues to get the reaction that it appears to be getting.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I think somebody will balk and change their date.....more than likely it'll be the FLW.....IMHO!! It will get ugly and it'll be a turning point in the evolution of professional fishing....either for the better or worse!! I think the major sponsors will put more heat on the trail owners to make a change than the outcry from the Pro's.... but we'll see!

I predict they'll make a change by the end of Oct.!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Looks like they are trying to attract a different breed of angler. This is either genius or suicide. First thing FLW needs to do is get there TV contract in order.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is a typical Wal-Mart business practice, do whatever possible to eliminate the competition. This is not any different, I am sure they view BASS no different than say Kmart or Target. They present a public image of "helping" people and the community, while their actions are quite different.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I don't think WalMart had anything to do with this,...they don't own the FLW....They're just a major sponsor. That would be like saying that BASS's lack of timely decision making ability is because they drink too much BUSCH Beer!! LOL

You're analogy of the buisness practices is right on though,.....the BIG get bigger,..and the weak get eatin'!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can tell you this...all of this battling is turning guys off. And I am one of them. Enough already!!

I love to fish. Tournaments use to be my life but this is a perfect example of it getting just to much.

I deal with politics and battles all day at work, all night with the wife and kids, and I refuse to go through all of this come the weekends. lol

It will get uglier and I just have to think its going to get split from whoever you get your boat from.

Best of luck to all of the guys and gals who decide to continue to pursue it.

I am out!!!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Nixon Likes Competition Between Tours

"I will fish both tours," said Larry Nixon (Stratos/Evinrude). "I'll just fish them all and see what happens.

"I don't think either one is bad. I think both are good for pro bass fishing, and whatever (the tours) have to do, they have to do. But it's not something I'm worried about. I'm a fisherman.

"We're all here to take pro bass fishing all the way forward. If that takes two tours working against one another to do that, that's what happens. That's just life. I've watched pro bass fishing since 1977, and with one tour it's been stagnant. With two tours it's been good."

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
It does suck and it'll hurt both sides,...but I really think one of the parties will change their date...and they'll attempt to tell us they're "taking the high-road and biting the bullet for the benefit of the Angler's"..LOL... we'll see..
It's not over yet,..but I hear that the major sponsors are the one's doing the screaming,..not the Anglers!! They can't be at both places at the same time!

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Once again I will be in the minority on this one. I don't believe having both the FLW and B.A.S.S. hurts (us, both tours, or the fishing industry). A little competition is always good.

New anglers have emerged who we probably would have never seen if not for the opportunity FLW provided. New sponsers, new marketing avenues, and increased benefits for anglers has been a result. FLW has also pushed B.A.S.S. to think outside there comfort zone in terms of tournament structure. Same with the TV coverage. Remeber when FLW had the ESPN contract? Remeber when the only coverage of B.A.S.S. events was the weigh-ins? I truely believe FLW made B.A.S.S. open there eye to missed opportunities, thankfully they responded.

Having conflicting tournament dates (championship or opens) is the only real problem I see. Hopefully they will both be smart about this.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I don't think anybody's against having 2 major "leagues" Alex,.. We ALL agree that's GOOD!!!
Good for the fishermen, the sponsors and the whole industry...But having their respective Championships on the same weekend is BAD!!
Especially for the people who have to work those shows for the companies that sponsor both trails...
But the FLW did the right thing and changed their date (AGAIN
) so that's GOOD and we're all happy again!! LOL (Especially the sponsors!)

Fish on BigDog,..good luck in the GNT Championship!!

Mac

·
Registered
83 Posts
QUOTE(OneSided @ Sep 30 2003, 02:17 PM)This is a typical Wal-Mart business practice, do whatever possible to eliminate the competition. This is not any different, I am sure they view BASS no different than say Kmart or Target. They present a public image of "helping" people and the community, while their actions are quite different.
A little off topic, but.........KMart is responsible for their own downfall. They refused to be flexible and to change with the times. They did business the same way they had for decades. Their store layouts and shelving methods have always lagged behind WalMart. Their ads still lack quality. In regards to the community...I've always found them to be less than helpful with childrens sports, angler/hunter organizations etc. when compared to Wal Mart. I'm not an employee of WalMart, nor I Sam Walton heir (how I wish). Blaming Wal Mart for KMart's demise is like blaming the Yankees for how bad the Tigers suck.

·
Registered
882 Posts
My take on this is that it will only be a matter of time before FLW Outdoors totally dominates the competative fishing market. They practicaly do already. Nostalgia goes out the window and money talks in the long term.
Take a look.
The B.A.S.S. (I am a member) championship pays $200,000.00 first place.
The FLW championship pays $500,000.00 first place.
The RCL championship (FLW Outdoors Walleye Tour) pays $300,000.00 first place this year, (an extra $100,000.00 if your are powered by a Yamaha).
The FLW makes it easy for anyone to participate and advance in competative fishing at the grass roots.
The Bass Fishing League and the RCL Walleye League.
The FLW Outdoor marketing techniques and quality of their television productions along with the new live weigh-in over the internet (awesome technology if you haven't tried it) takes them steps ahead of B.A.S.S.
One thing about B.A.S.S. is that their magazine is far superior to the FLW rag but I am sure that will also change.

·
Banned
112 Posts
This topic has been discussed quite extensively on the Bass Fishing Home Page. Irwin Jacobs did back down claiming they (FLW) were not aware of the dates the Classic was to be held. There is much debate by professional anglers and personalities (like McKinnis) about whether or not Irwin is telling the truth, but either way Irwin said he would change the date of the FLW Championship. MadWags I disagree with you about the FLW dominating the national tournament scene, in fact it’s quite the contrary. FLW certainly had a chance to dominate when they first started out but blew it with their sponsorship policy. If FLW would have allowed pros to wear their brag jackets on television and at the weigh-ins, with the large payouts they have, plus at that time they had superior television coverage on a superior network (prior to ESPN buying BASS), when it came down to a show down like this almost was, the pros would have no reason to even consider BASS. Allowing the pros to promote their sponsors, which are primarily fishing related products that would not have conflicted with the large FLW corporate sponsors that are funding the payouts, would have been the best thing for the anglers and FLW. FLW still has better payouts but most pros make their money through sponsorships and seminars, not tournament winnings. Unless a pro has a sponsor affiliated with FLW, he can not promote any of his sponsors while fishing FLW events. That makes him useless as an endorser. That’s why companies that aren’t FLW sponsors want (make) their endorsers fish BASS. One thing you have to realize is these FLW corporate sponsors like Fuji and Kelloggs don’t “Have” to have fisherman as their customers. They are experimenting with their advertising dollar to see what tournament fishing can do for them. If they determine they aren’t getting much bang for their buck, or FLW is getting too much negative press, they won’t want to be associated with them! Replacing a company like Walmarts or Kelloggs won’t be the easiest thing in the world to do. Not many big companies are willing to take a chance on a sport like fishing which is really not much of a spectators sport. If a couple of the big sponsor bail, the large payouts and the careers of fisherman whose main sponsors are corporate sponsors are over. FLW’s main vehicle for promoting these corporate sponsors is TV, and they are on a Mickey Mouse network (OLN) that doesn’t have much viewer ship. On top of that the show sucks. The FLW magazine is a bigger joke and most people I know that get it throw it in the garbage without opening it. It has crossword puzzles and dinosaur connect the dots pictures in it. If Irwin had followed through with this “Power Play” the FLW may well self destructed (and might anyway if they don’t increase viewers for their TV show). Being put in a position to choose one circuit or the other, most of the biggest name pros (even Ranger pros) would go with BASS (at this time anyway). If you don’t believe me, talk to some of them.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
K-Mart is responsible for their own demise....they pissed off 4 million NRA members and their friends and families.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
DRP,..I couldn't agree more,...and then they offer their ex-CEO a 9 million dollar "loan" that doesn't have to be paid back??? What the hell kind of fiscal responsibility is that??...And their severance pkgs to several other of the execs that helped drive that company into the ground, also worth millions!! It's ridiculous......KMart was their own worst enemy.
I feel really sorry for the families that lost jobs their because of all the corporate greed,..and yes i have personal friends that lost their jobs there....but even THEY don't blame WalMart. They blame their "management".

·
Registered
83 Posts
Maybe or maybe not big corporations are getting the bang for the buck with FLW. BASS has had BP, KMart and others who shagged after brief affiliations. WalMart has been there for some time. There must be something to it. Coleman, Snickers, Fuji and others keep on coming to FLW. While some may see all the negatives of the exclusive sponsorships, look at the payouts, the longer term relationship (at least WalMart and a couple others), Wheaties boxes etc. You don't get the payouts that FLW does without exclusive sponsorships. The base market of fishing is just to small to have it opened up like NASCAR or the PGA. Comparing them as some do on BFHP is foolhardy. These are totally different markets.

IF they (the pros)don't like it, they can/could have been fishing BASS only, but they didn't. I've heard for the last several years how so and so of the pro leagues doesn't like how FLW operates, yet some of those same guys now drive Rangers, and some of them drive FLW Corp sponsored Rangers. Seems like the BS stops at the dock doesn't it. If it's as bad as these pros supposedly say (I've heard others say the opposite), why is it that the FLW/EVERSTART/BFL etc are not lacking in participants?The proof is in the pudding as they say.

Jacobs may be a snake, but I see lots of fellows now riding in Rangers who formerly didn't. I see lots of them driving Chevy Burbs and such. I'll agree to him being a snake, but he's got the boys eating out of his hand. For BASS or anyone else to think otherwise is kidding themself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts