Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there's anyone here that likes catching these monsters? Last year I caught a 32 pounder. I was so excited because it was the first big fish of the day, so out came the camera. Too bad the camera didn't have film in it
It was an omen for the rest of the day. The only fish that came afterwards were a few small perch, a dinky sunfish and a sheephead. Anybody fish for carp exclusively?

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Liptonbuddy: Type in your search engine Carp Fishing Network. You'll find alot of info. on carp there. Carp are a blast to catch. They are very smart fish. They spook easily. The quiter you are the better. Corn works well. Berkley has a new Carp bait out now. You can find it at Gander Mountain. Chum is important while carp fish. I'll chum a area with corn and use light line and a small hook. Just toss a few piece's of corn covering a small hook completely. Useing a slip sinker is adviced so they don't feel resistance. Man carp are close to salmon, line ripping pole bending a super fight if you have a 1/2 hr. lol Check out that site. h2o

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rarely fish for them, But I am out a couple times a week shooting them with a bow. was out on lake Erie Sunday night and in a little over 3 hours me and my buddy shot 49 gar, 38 carp, 2 dogfish and 3 Buffalo. Biggest carp was 29 lbs. and the biggest gar was 46".

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
,..I gotta keep an eye on this thread!!....You guys could end up giving me some "material"..LOL!! I use to carp fish all the time when i was in jr and sr. highschool. It was a riot!! Carp make great cartoon subjects!! Keep the stories comin'...it brings back a few cool memories!! LOL!!..
Thanks fella's!!
Mac

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hi ya dva01, If you don`t mind me asking what did you do with the 92 fish you and your buddy arrowed? No one can use that much fertilizer.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Gee Czar i hear that. WHAT A WASTE. Amazing that's legal... This is a fact more people have been killed with a arrow than by bullets... To arrow a fish and eat it is understandable, but to slaughter I don't know about that.. I wonder what mini thinks .... h2o

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
h2o: I didn't need info on fishing for them, I just wanted to know if anyone fished for them. Thanks anyway though

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Carp aren't native. Carp are overabundant. Carp are destructive to many waters. Carp take up huge amounts of biomass that could be available to other more desirable fish. Carp are legally rough fish in Michigan. dva - shoot away. It's legal and most people wouldn't think you're hurting anything by shooting some carp.

He won't be able to shoot enough of them to not have plenty left over for others to catch and even eat if they want to. I'll still stick with cheeseburgers and pizza. Garburgers - yuck - doesn't sound real appetizing anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wish diva could come up to my folks place in the upper and get rid of a few for them

And I totally DISAGREE with any implication of carp fighting well. Sure they may fight well if you intentionally 'gear down' for them but because you are using 6lb test on a 25lb fish tells me that they fight like crap. And the carp I've caught tells me the same thing(and yes I've caught a few 20lb'ers). Since carp are not line wary you carp guys could 'gear up' and use the muskie gear on them and instead of having an hour fight the fight would last less than a minute and that way you could catch alot more of them per hour

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I caught my 30+ pounder, I used 4lb test on a 5 foot ugly stick! Surprisingly, it only took me 10 minutes to reel him in. We were drift fishing in the bay in a part that was insanely weedy (those weeds that look like springs) and had lots of those cat tail plants (I think) scattered all over in about 2-3 feet of water. At first I thought it was a snag, but snags don't make your line zip across the water, unless it was a magical log that could swim, but I doubt it. Good thing he was really stupid and made a direct line towards the boat. I don't think I've ever seen my hands reel so fast! Good times....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got in from shooting another lake tonight. didn't keep count but had a very good shoot. All carp tonight, no gar. I don't think a lot of people realize how destructive these trash fish can be on nests of game fish and the negative impact they can create, and some of these people that think it is wrong to kill these fish are the same ones that I see throwing mud puppies out on the ice because they think they eat the fish eggs.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Biggest carp I ever saw was a few years back. We were into the smallies pretty good, when I thought I had a new record bass on. This carp must have weighed 40 lbs or more. I could fit my fist in it's mouth. He ate a 5 inch tube. I have pictures somewhere.
Here's some trivia....Does anyone know where the common carp were first introduced into North America? Free pack of doughballs to the winner......DRP

·
Registered
57 Posts
dva01;

we have a bow fishing tourney over-here Mitchells bay area next weekend,
$40 dollars canadian/$4 american LOL per team.

Dover Rod and Gun Club...as much as you can shoot if your interested.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Here's another factoid. Generally there are 4 genetically different species of carp. The common carp (which everyone catches), leather carp (no scales), line carp (a row of scales along the lateral line) and a mirror carp (a few scattered scales including some oversized ones). I have only caught one of these variations in my life, and it was a mirror carp in the Detroit River. Anyone else seen one of these other kinds around here?....DRP

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Baltimore Maryland in 1876 from germany DPR...... h2o

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Carp may not be tops when it comes to a fight, but they are a very strong fish. Had one, just under 15 pounds, pull me, my wife and a 14' row boat around Lake Erie's Brest bay for awhile.

·
Registered
97 Posts
As a kid, me and a buddy would catch carp by the wheel barrow full and sell them to the Chinese restaraunt in the town I grew up in. That guy loved us. We would make ten dollars a day for fishin! In the late 70's that was cool cash. (No, I never ate there again)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Some of the most fun I ever had fishing was when I was wading near Port Austin for smallmouths and accidentally snagged a 15 pounder in his back with a Rapala.

He rolled near the surface far enough away that all I could see was size and color and I thought I was going in the smallmouth record books for sure. Because he wasn't hooked in the mouth, he could just swim any way he pleased - I couldn't turn him. It took me 45 minutes to land that big dude on my Daiwa minicast with 4 lb. test mono and I couldn't believe it when I finally landed him barehanded. Put him on the stringer, named him Buford, and talked to him the rest of the day. Brought him home and gave him to a black guy I knew who actually liked eating carp - he smoked them or something and swore they were tasty but I never tried them.

We'll probably all take up carp fishing when the five foot man-killers show up here.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts