Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had JetCraft Unlimited summerize my boat, check compression, & some other little things. Mke said compression is good, plugs were good, I should be 'good to go!'

I put it in today, it started up no problem, I let it run a little, then took off down the North Channel. It ran fine from the DNR launch in Algonac til about Sassy Marine, then my starboard motor shut down. It started right back up again, ran fine in idle, & when I put it in gear. When I tried to take off, it stalled again.

It runs OK, soon as I give it gas it stalls. There are no weeds in it. Any ideas what could be wrong??

·
Registered
70 Posts
QUOTE(Jazzy405 @ Jun 21 2009, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had JetCraft Unlimited summerize my boat, check compression, & some other little things. Mke said compression is good, plugs were good, I should be 'good to go!'

I put it in today, it started up no problem, I let it run a little, then took off down the North Channel. It ran fine from the DNR launch in Algonac til about Sassy Marine, then my starboard motor shut down. It started right back up again, ran fine in idle, & when I put it in gear. When I tried to take off, it stalled again.

It runs OK, soon as I give it gas it stalls. There are no weeds in it. Any ideas what could be wrong??

fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel line has a hole in it, float in carb is stuck, or your almost out of gas and your fuel gage doesn't work...

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
I can't help but think about this damn ethanol fuel that we have been putting in our machines. Jazzy, did you put some sort of stabilizer it the tank last year? I know next to nothing about those Yamaha motors. I have heard many issues that have happened to people that have them. Maybe JetCrafts need to take a look at? Whatever it is I hope it is not too expensive for you?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'll be calling JetCraft as soon as they open. I put 20 gallons of Sunoco in it before I launched it. The port motor runs fine, which rules out a fuel problem, other than a maybe a filter. Not sure if there are 2 filters.

I was a little surprised when JC told me I didn't need plugs, it's been a while since I've changed them. That's the 1st thing I will do, unless he has any other suggestions.

Just can't understand why it starts, runs, idles, fine, as soon as I throttle forward to go faster, is when it stalls. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Jazzy405 @ Jun 22 2009, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the responses. I'll be calling JetCraft as soon as they open. I put 20 gallons of Sunoco in it before I launched it. The port motor runs fine, which rules out a fuel problem, other than a maybe a filter. Not sure if there are 2 filters.

I was a little surprised when JC told me I didn't need plugs, it's been a while since I've changed them. That's the 1st thing I will do, unless he has any other suggestions.

Just can't understand why it starts, runs, idles, fine, as soon as I throttle forward to go faster, is when it stalls. Wish me luck!
It is harder for a spark plug to fire under load, so changing them is not a far out thing to try. Those are 2 cycle engines too, right? That makes it all the more likely that plugs might help, since they are much more prone to issues in 2 cycle engines. At least in my (limited) experience.

Good luck!!

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Jazzy, I would maybe look into plug wires too. A lot of people don't realize it but plug wires anly have a 4-6 year life expectancy. After that they can possibly start to loose there spark through a crack or weak spot in the wires. You might be loosing power that way.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I stop to see Mike at JetCrafts Unlimited. He said 1st I need to check my fuel filters, there is one for each motor & he told me where they were. He said they clog, if it's plastic, it will need to be replaced, if it's steel, to blow it out. Next he said plugs. I bought some plugs & hopefully tonight I can blow the fuel filter out! If not, I'll be back to JetCraft tomorrow to get a new filter.

I love Mike, he is so great at diagnostics, he really knows his stuff!! Not just about this kind of thing that's a no brainer for most (except me), but anything I've ever thrown at him. He's a sponsor here too!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Tonight I pulled the fuel filter for the starboard engine, it is plastic, I blew it & there's air going through it. Then I pulled the plugs, they were BAD!! I put the new ones in, it started right up & stayed running when I throttled it up. So I changed the port motor plugs too & one of those plug wires were bad, now that motor won't stay running.

Tomorrow I am getting 2 new fuel filters & 2 sets of plug wires. I'm thinking that ought to do it. While I'm a big fan of Mike at JetCraft, I did ask him to check the plugs, & was told they were fine. They never looked at them, they were black & corroded.

Thanks again for your replies. All of your answers/suggestions were right on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts