Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been up north fishing in the Alpena/Presque Isle county areas? Or just up north in general? I haven't read too many reports from up there. I know the weather has been pretty crummy up there. Going up to Millersburg thursday evening and then go out fishing friday at either an inland lake or Lake Huron. We mainly fish for bass, but with the weather the way it is we are open for anything.

Thank you for any info,
TJW

·
Registered
526 Posts
I posted about black lk a few weeks ago, it was fish fly (mayfly) hatch so the fishing was pretty tough, but we managed to get some decent perch and bluegills, I heard that mullet lk was pretty hot for perch and walleye, and that lk louise? was giving up nice bluegills and pike, good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
have a few friends up in onaway, but i havent heard anything, ill try to find out if you'd like.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Grand Lake, Long Lake and Fletchers Floodwaters are always good options in that area...

We had a club tournament in early June on Grand and Black and the weights were good....

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you want to try a small lake, Lost Lake is between Millersburg and Hawks. Access is off of Lake May Rd. a half a mile in. 104 acres, real easy to fish, deepest water is seventeen feet, mostly less than ten. plenty of weeds,mossy bottom, lilly pads and largies up to five pounds. It does have "no high speed boating or skiing regs". Seen plenty of nice largies cruising the clear shallows the last time I was there. Family used to have a place there and rented a cottage there several times after they sold it and it still fishes well, hardly ever see more than a boat or two during the week. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Here is todays fishing report compliments of the Iosco County Herald. It is for Lake Huron, in the Tawas and Oscoda area.

We got one catfish, and four Perch off the breakwall/pier last Saturday night around 9 pm to midnight

HallArchivesOutdoors Index

Outdoors with Oz
Fishing report

Fishing report

Anglers catching walleye with crawlers at AuSable mouth

Anglers are catching walleye at the mouth of the AuSable River by drifting crawlers beneath bobbers, reported Ross Wellman of Wellman's Party and Bait in AuSable.
Good-sized smallmouth bass scattered throughout the AuSable are biting on crayfish and leeches and Wellman also reported that a few lake trout are being brought in from Lake Huron waters measuring approximately 80 to 100 feet deep. He said that the trout are lured to spoons about five miles out from the mouth of the AuSable.

According to Wellman, anglers fishing the backwaters of Foote and Cooke ponds are being rewarded with bluegill catches.

"Bluegills are moving out to deeper water in most of the inland lakes," said Helen Beckley of Beckley's M-65 Bait Shop in Whittemore.

She reported that anglers are doing okay with the amount of pike being landed, adding that white spinner baits are helping with the success. Largemouth bass anglers have also been reporting good catches.

Anglers have told Beckley that they are catching walleye from the bay near AuGres using a variety of purple-shaded lures.

Steve Shaver of Bay Party Store in East Tawas said that anglers fishing off the state dock are catching seven- to 10-inch perch using leaf worms.

Red worms are doing the trick for good gill catches from Tawas Lake, Shaver confirmed.

Anglers are also reporting good smallmouth bass action throughout Iosco County.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We fished the Ausable River, Loud and Five Channels Ponds last week Wed., Thurs. and Sat. Slow fishing. I think everyone is keeping what they catch and those ponds are locked by the dams and cannot replenish unless they are stocked. Too many fisherman, not enough fish. Not like it was years ago. We went to Fletchers last Friday. 3 of us caught about 24 bass and pike, 11 hours of fishing. Largest pike was 28" largest bass was about 16". Wind was bad that day, we were drifting between 1.5 and 2 miles an hour. We always have fun out there regardless.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(sshhiittyy @ Jul 7 2009, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>have a few friends up in onaway, but i havent heard anything, ill try to find out if you'd like.

Hey, that would be cool. Thanks.
If you can't get to it, no biggie. I'm just don't want to get my expectations too high if the bite is slow.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(jogodlew @ Jul 8 2009, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We fished the Ausable River, Loud and Five Channels Ponds last week Wed., Thurs. and Sat. Slow fishing. I think everyone is keeping what they catch and those ponds are locked by the dams and cannot replenish unless they are stocked. Too many fisherman, not enough fish. Not like it was years ago. We went to Fletchers last Friday. 3 of us caught about 24 bass and pike, 11 hours of fishing. Largest pike was 28" largest bass was about 16". Wind was bad that day, we were drifting between 1.5 and 2 miles an hour. We always have fun out there regardless.

At least you caught fish, so then the trip was a success
. I heard there was a bunch of wind up there this past weekend. I hope it doesn't affect the fishing for any species too much.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I just got home from Houghton Lake a couple of hours ago (I couldn't put up with the mother-in-law anymore so I left early
). I got up there Thursday evening, fished a few hours on Fri, 2 hrs on Sat. & a few hrs on Sun for about a total of 8 or 9 hours. The NNW wind made boat control for my little boat challenging but me & the kids still boated some fish (bass, walleye & pike). Since I was on vacation & needed to relax I slept in every morning & couch surfed most of the time.
I have $5 left (thanks to the wife robbing me) until payday so I need to scrounge up some gas money so I can get out after some musky.

Also broke 2 rods before I even started fishing & 1 of my old reels took a chit on me as well.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
friend said try Onaway State Park, or the river it dumps into. he said its pretty good for a few species, though its been a few weeks since he's been to the State park.

dam Zib, the old reels are the best too. sry to hear that, but sounds like it was relaxing, despite the mom in law....lol but you did get a few boated!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts