Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took out the boat for a season opening shakedown and stopped at Sunup to fill'er up with fresh gas. I was shocked to find out that my boat was filled with 85 gals of gas. My tank is only a 65 gal tank and was 1/4 full when I pulled up. What Happened? Where did all that gas go?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
FIRST I would check the bilge for fuel.....

Then I would double check with the manufacturer about the capacity of your tank(s).

THEN get your money back....no matter how hard you try you cannot get 85 gallons in a 65 gallon tank.

Mini

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Jun 2 2003, 07:52 PM)THEN get your money back....no matter how hard you try you cannot get 85 gallons in a 65 gallon tank.

Mini
if it was really warm out, like 87 deg,...maybe......

20 gallon error in a counter is HUGE to say the least !
I hope it is not a faulty counter (for all boaters sake)
Keep us posted on what you find out.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah I forgot, I checked the bilge for fuel, I hate blowing up on a nice sunny day, ruins everything!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Bassneck @ Jun 2 2003, 09:01 PM)Oh yeah I forgot, I checked the bilge for fuel, I hate blowing up on a nice sunny day, ruins everything!
Kinda does ruin a perfectly good weekend...lol

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Jun 2 2003, 08:01 PM)I cant believe thermal expansion is that great on gasoline......that would be near 33%....

Mini

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTEJohn Maniaci Posted on Jun 2 2003, 08:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cant believe thermal expansion is that great on gasoline......that would be near 33%....

As it were, my brother and I did the math, it appears for every actual gallon that went in, an additional 3/4 of a gallon was registered on the pump. I paid $65 too much for what fits in the tank at that level.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
we need to go there with a 5 galolon or 6 gallon marked can. put it in to the level, or weigh it. see what it says....

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I would call the state about it.....I believe there regulate that sort of stuff. It would be really sad if they were charging more. What if someone thought they got 85 gallons and didn't stop for fuel cause they thought they had plenty........than ran out. Good knows tows aren't cheap.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ Jun 2 2003, 08:27 PM)I would call the state about it.....I believe there regulate that sort of stuff. It would be really sad if they were charging more. What if someone thought they got 85 gallons and didn't stop for fuel cause they thought they had plenty........than ran out. Good knows tows aren't cheap.
tows are 59.00 for lscn members ! m.m.s. !

i so want to stop by there tomorrow with a fuel can.....

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Do they have a reeeeeeeeeeeally old pump? Some of the old ones from the pre 70's gas crunch where designed to work with prices of cents per gallon, not dollars per gallon. EX: The price display would only go up to 99 9/10 cents. In order to charge the proper amount they had to recalibrate the gallon counter. EX: Gallon counter set at 2 times normal speed pump set at 99 9/10 cents a gallon gives you $2.00 a gal.

If it was a modern pump I think you got hosed.

Let us know.

·
Registered
622 Posts
QUOTEThen I would double check with the manufacturer about the capacity of your tank(s).

THEN get your money back....no matter how hard you try you cannot get 85 gallons in a 65 gallon tank.

Just checked it, 65gal capacity, how do you put pics in here?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Have a reciept for the gas?

How much was the gas per gallon?

Are you sure 85 gallons?

Total cost?

Just trying to see of the "analog" style (unable to go above 1.00) numbers would work...

Mini

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Call 1-800-MDA-Fuel by law the number has to be on every pump I got hosed when I ran a car out of gas I pushed it to the pump and topped it off it took 18.2 gallons the next week I was on a 1/8 tank and pumped 21.2 gallons I complained he laughed and told me if you times the price per gallons time gallons it meets the total. not when they short poor so I pulled out my handy cell phone and told him I was calling 1-800-MDA-FUEL. I had an hour till I had to be a mile away before I finished dialing he gave me all my money backed and asked me to leave. I took my money then called from a block away. They said they would send the police to gaurd the pump and the state was going to be there within 1 hour to check the state seals on the pump. ps the state mailed me a check for my 21.2 gallons of gas that I never paid for. I always get gas reciepts for my business.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
sweet !

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hope you saved your receipt. And check your capacity on your boat. I use to manage a gas station for a short time and we had to do a physical inventory every night with the gas via a stick years back. And with atmospheric conditions I would be plus or minus at most about 100 gallons a day and would be different every day, but pretty much always averaged out (and that is on a few thousand gallon tank). So no way could that have happened.

The prices they charge it would be outragous that they would try to scam in that way. Get ahold of your manufacturer, then go the necessary course.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts