Thanks so much for the offer Mac. I really appreciate it. It's late enough in the year, that the few small opens left were probably going to be out of other boats anyways (since I didn't make New York). It's nice to have options.
Madman had offered his boat for Sunday if we could have gotten a ride in on time Saturday. It just didn't work out.
I don't drive as hard as a lot of guys. My back just won't take it. It didn't even get sore Saturday so I know I wasn't hitting the waves as hard as I have before even.
The reason the motor probably wasn't totally lost was because of my low speed at the time. The service people think the motor is probably toast. I haven't heard anything yet, but they seem to believe that if the motor doesn't have gas and oil run through it within 2 to 4 hours after it's pulled out of the water, it's too late. They were telling me to leave it in the water Saturday afternoon, but I wasn't sure how I was supposed to do that. I didn't want to lose it altogether, but I wanted to get my boat back to US shore. It was late Saturday night, so I'm not sure what I could have done.
The closest marina to the accident told Jeff to tell me not to bring it there. We couldn't get the boat out without either completely removing the motor or bringing it into the boat.
I haven't heard anything yet. I'll just wait and see what I hear. They also seemed to think that it was probably bad because it was running when it went into the water. Don't know if the motor will be recoverable or not, so I don't know if I need another one yet.
It does seem like this happens too much regardless of our weather. I do everything I can to be safe, but it makes you nervous wondering if today will be the day your motor snaps off with no warning. I check my boats every week, so those were tight at least. I do have a VHF radio, but for the first time in several years it decided not to work so I was left only with the cell phone which is less reliable, but mine worked just well enough, thank goodness. Everything else worked including my two bilges.
I didn't have to use my emergency backup bilge I made out of wire, large alligator clamps, a switch and long hose, but after the two freighter waves went right over Madman, I thought I'd need a couple more, but we pumped out okay. We even had to let back in a lot of water through removed bolt holes on purpose to lower the back end to be able to winch the motor high enough to get it on the deck - the old lower the boat trick. Worked like a charm although the boat only sank so low because of the level floatation.