Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the first bit of this video. That was the view from our boat. I heard the Coast Guard say it was a bonfire don't worry about it.

It sure looked out of control to us.

Matt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh, it was out of control. I'm not sure what they were thinking. The Coast Guard, I think, panicked at first, sent a boat over, then two...one stayed but then a while later, I think they came back with the water hose and put it out. It was huge. We were right next to it and I'm not sure it was safe at all. Nothing against those who were there, but I have seen several fires on that island where homes had to burn to the ground because they couldn't get water there in time to put it out.

Great video!

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(CMc @ Jul 5 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh, it was out of control. I'm not sure what they were thinking. The Coast Guard, I think, panicked at first, sent a boat over, then two...one stayed but then a while later, I think they came back with the water hose and put it out. It was huge. We were right next to it and I'm not sure it was safe at all. Nothing against those who were there, but I have seen several fires on that island where homes had to burn to the ground because they couldn't get water there in time to put it out.

Great video!

Did the fire department put it out or the people on the island? We were a safe distance away but it made me nervous just watching.

Matt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, of course it was dark, but the second Coast Guard boat came back, and it was the one with the hose and you could hear some sort of motor...I am really thinking they put it out.

I don't know how they didn't figure it out before it even started. I could see the pile of brush and just knew that was what they were going to do. There was sand all around, but the little bit of wind we had was sending the sparks everywhere, especially over toward the houses. It wouldn't have taken much to set everything around it on fire. Pretty scary.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
QUOTE(CMc @ Jul 5 2009, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, of course it was dark, but the second Coast Guard boat came back, and it was the one with the hose and you could hear some sort of motor...I am really thinking they put it out.

I don't know how they didn't figure it out before it even started. I could see the pile of brush and just knew that was what they were going to do. There was sand all around, but the little bit of wind we had was sending the sparks everywhere, especially over toward the houses. It wouldn't have taken much to set everything around it on fire. Pretty scary.

so it was just a little campfire then?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh no...the pile of brush and the fire was as big as a small house. Matt captured it fabulously in his video.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It looked almost as if they set a tree on fire in front of the house. They were lighting off fireworks before hand, and they must have sent one up there. If that wasn't the worst part, after that caught on fire, then their box caught on fire and just blew up. It was a great sight for us.. not so much for the homeowner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts